D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
Hi folks, I'm new here & happy to be. I grew up using a technics TT & am getting back into it. Just picked up a really nice Realistic sta 2200 with some Klipsch 3.2, I like the set up. I'm currently looking at, what someone says they have Sansui sp 2000, but on the grille, it says Akai......does anybody know what thats about, thanks in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You want those in addition to the Klipsch? Do you prefer the sound of these other speakers or ?

Couldn't tell you about what you're referring to as not much to go on, but did see this when searching a bit: "Akai is now headquartered in Singapore as a subsidiary of Grande Holdings, a Hong Kong-based conglomerate, which also owns the formerly Japanese brands Nakamichi and Sansui. The Akai brand is now used to rebadge electronics manufactured by other companies" From here http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersAkai.html

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
in addition, or a different set up completely. I have not listened the to sansui/akai sp 2000 yet. Getting back into this has really got me going:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why stick to the old stuff? Just for nostalgia?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe it's just one that fit. Without inspecting the speaker....meh. You may not even have original drivers in the box anymore with what some people do....

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
Maybe it's just one that fit. Without inspecting the speaker....meh. You may not even have original drivers in the box anymore with what some people do....
is there an easy way to tell if the original drivers are in it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might post up some pics, but one clue could be if looking at the speakers side by side there are differences in the drivers in the same positions...but if someone replaced both woofers then they'd match but not be original. You'd have to actually know what the driver set was and inspect each one (by pulling them out of the box) and check the markings (and they may not even be marked). Ya takes your chances with old stuff...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Why stick to the old stuff? Just for nostalgia?
yeah, I'd be interested in the "why". Realistic certainly isn't anyone's first choice in audio and for that matter Sansui hasn't been near the top of any list in over 20 years either. I'm not saying there aren't old products that work well and sound great. I'd just be interested in "why?".

If its nostalgia for older electronics, I get that. But, then I'd want to know why not some really top flight older stuff? Why people pursue certain things in this hobby is fascinating stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Realistic badge was put on some decent stuff at times....

D

Dave De

Audioholic Intern
yeah, I'd be interested in the "why". Realistic certainly isn't anyone's first choice in audio and for that matter Sansui hasn't been near the top of any list in over 20 years either. I'm not saying there aren't old products that work well and sound great. I'd just be interested in "why?".

If its nostalgia for older electronics, I get that. But, then I'd want to know why not some really top flight older stuff? Why people pursue certain things in this hobby is fascinating stuff.
I guess you dont know much about the sta 2200

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I guess you dont know much about the sta 2200
Dave De
You are correct, I don't know a great deal about the STA 2200. I do know for the time and place it was put in service, it was a pretty good receiver. Beyond that, I really don't know a great deal about it.

That's pretty much why my first question about your setup involving one is "why that particular receiver?".
I owned my fair share of Radio Shack stuff over the years. For the most part, I enjoyed it round the clock.

Don't think I'm insulting your choice. Not doing that. Just interested. There's a whole world of musical choices out there and a world of equipment to play it on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks, I'm new here & happy to be. I grew up using a technics TT & am getting back into it. Just picked up a really nice Realistic sta 2200 with some Klipsch 3.2, I like the set up. I'm currently looking at, what someone says they have Sansui sp 2000, but on the grille, it says Akai......does anybody know what thats about, thanks in advance
Either way those speakers are junk and never where any good. All those old Far Easter speakers are worthless ghastly specimens. Whatever you paid for them it was too much.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Every so often RS put out a good one, the STA 2200 was one of them. Most of their middle and higher end receivers were pretty decent, both in sound and build quality.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have a pair of Sansui X8000 speakers that are pretty darned righteous sounding that need new foam. Especially at revealing certain things like the fat string tone on SRV's Strat, with as much thru-body drive as I remember when I saw him live. Can hear the pick on the strings and his calloused fingers across them too. What else is there?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have a pair of Sansui X8000 speakers that are pretty darned righteous sounding that need new foam. Especially at revealing certain things like the fat string tone on SRV's Strat, with as much thru-body drive as I remember when I saw him live. Can hear the pick on the strings and his calloused fingers across them too. What else is there?
Did you happen to catch a look at the SRV statue in Austin a couple years ago during the flooding? SRV "walking on water"! How about that for "Texas Flood"!

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Did you happen to catch a look at the SRV statue in Austin a couple years ago during the flooding? SRV "walking on water"! How about that for "Texas Flood"!
how cool is that? I have been there and seen the statue (when it was high and dry).
Texas flood indeed

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis