First time HT setup. Need some suggestions and comments.

Surya

Surya

Enthusiast
@all Thank you for the comments again. I read through the difference between dipoles and the bookshelf speakers for the surround and I think I'll go with the bookshelf speakers itself. That gives me just one small question. Are you aware of any other smaller sized Klipsch speakers ( or in fact any other company speakers ) that can be used as rear speakers? I know it would be better and good to have same brand of speakers throughout, but it's just the space. I have to really squeeze in the RP-150Ms. If it was any smaller speakers that would be awesome. Just trying to compromise little bit of something for some aesthetics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One point is that in a 5.1 setup there are surround speakers, in a 7.1 system you can have surrounds as well as rear surrounds. Surrounds are placed more to the sides rather than the rear. Here's a guide to 5.1 layout https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

Surrounds need not be particularly potent for most purposes, although it can be nice to have identical speakers all around (but often impractical). Quintets are the smallest Klipsch I can think of...but not sure they're sold in pairs or full sets...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd My mistake. Multiple drivers can handle more power, but require less power for the same SPL. :oops:
No problem, but it's also hard to make sweeping generalizations otoh based simply on number of drivers....you just need to dig into the sensitivity/impedance specs for amp considerations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd @Foxrox Sorry again for bumping. Would you suggest any other smaller rear speakers? Need not be Klipsch speakers but just smaller size.
Many small bookshelves will be fine in surrounds duties, just what size box are you looking for? I wouldn't go too small, tho. Personally I wouldn't go with less than a 5" midwoofer in a larger room like yours. Where are you planning on mounting them?

ps Did you check out the Quartets from Klipsch?

Surya

Surya

Enthusiast
The area in red is where I have TV and that is where the fronts will go.I have couch in the area marked in red. I am just planning to mount them above the couch at both the ends.

Yes I checked Quintets. Quintets is discontinued by Klipsch and now they come as part of quintent home theater systems only.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The area in red is where I have TV and that is where the fronts will go.I have couch in the area marked in red. I am just planning to mount them above the couch at both the ends.

Yes I checked Quintets. Quintets is discontinued by Klipsch and now they come as part of quintent home theater systems only.
That's kind of what I thought about the Quintets. Is that couch going to be backed right up against a wall? Might want to pull it out a few feet, can be an acoustic issue having your ears that close to a wall (or is that a small alcove there?).

Any good candidates on craigslist near you? Might look thru the offerings here https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spkbookshelf&skip_redirect_suffix=&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

Surya

Surya

Enthusiast
I am kind of considering these bookshelves for surrounds. Can you please let me know about these and if these will be enough?

I am getting all of these for less than $100 + these are compact as well. If none of these are good, I'll go with the RP-150M itself.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am kind of considering these bookshelves for surrounds. Can you please let me know about these and if these will be enough?

I am getting all of these for less than $100 + these are compact as well. If none of these are good, I'll go with the RP-150M itself.
I would personally go with the rp-150’s. Even though they’re small, there’s a much better chance they’ll be timbre matched, or close anyway. To me, that’s important in creating a cohesive experience from front to back. You may see advice to just get whatever, but I think that can shortchange the experience. I’ve had Frankenstein systems before, and you don’t want to start out with one if you don’t have to.
I agree on the choice to skip the bipoles too.

Edit:don’t consider the Bose.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
You'd get better performance from a Dayton sub 1200 rather than the klipsch, and save a lot of money too. I like the r-15m and r-25c. Great speakers for the price.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Surya

Surya

Enthusiast
@yepimonfire @lovinthehd @William Lemmerhirt and veryone

Sorry for a little bump. First of all thank you for all your suggestions. I got the rp 450c, rp160m and Denon X1400H receiver. They are pretty awesome. I also got the Dayton Sub 1500. But I am facing couple of issues. Hope you can clear them up.

1) The sub looks big for the space that I have. So I am thinking of going for a smaller sub. Probably Dayton Sub 800(80W) or Sub 1000(100W). Would that be good idea?

2) I thought I would be happy with the 3.1 setup but I am kind of missing the surrounds. I also didn't want to spend too much money on this. So I am going with refurbished/Craigslist on this. I have a choice of Quintet II or NHT SuperZero for my budget and size requirements. Do I have to match timbre with older Quintet or go with the NHT SuperZero.?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IMO:

1/ Subs tend to be large, just the way things are. No replacement for displacement as they say. Just depends on the performance you want in exchange for the aesthetics you want...

2/ For surrounds not so important to match timbre and not sure the Quintets would do any better with the other Klipsch brand speakers you have (but don't know really); I'd prefer to have NHTs over Quintets myself as I think they're just a better speaker.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
@yepimonfire @lovinthehd @William Lemmerhirt and veryone

Sorry for a little bump. First of all thank you for all your suggestions. I got the rp 450c, rp160m and Denon X1400H receiver. They are pretty awesome. I also got the Dayton Sub 1500. But I am facing couple of issues. Hope you can clear them up.

1) The sub looks big for the space that I have. So I am thinking of going for a smaller sub. Probably Dayton Sub 800(80W) or Sub 1000(100W). Would that be good idea?

2) I thought I would be happy with the 3.1 setup but I am kind of missing the surrounds. I also didn't want to spend too much money on this. So I am going with refurbished/Craigslist on this. I have a choice of Quintet II or NHT SuperZero for my budget and size requirements. Do I have to match timbre with older Quintet or go with the NHT SuperZero.?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
No on the smaller sub. In fact, I'd recommend a second Dayton sub depending on room volume and spl requirements. I have both a sub 1500 and a sub 1200 in a small 12x11 room.

I'm personally of the opinion that surrounds should be fairly close in timbre, having use mismatched in the past, I find you get a much more coherent sound stage with matched surrounds. If you must go with small, look into something like the klipsch r 14m.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis