Smaller Advent Woofer Replacement

James440

James440

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'm new to Audioholics, so I apologize if this is the wrong topic to post this in. I recently purchased a pair of Smaller Advent loudspeakers and unfortunately the original woofers have been replaced. I was wondering if anyone knew of a solid replacement or have an extra pair laying around they'd be willing to sell to me.

Thank you so much!
James

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Check Simply Speakers online -- and Parts Express

James440

James440

Audiophyte
Doubtful there's much in the way of actual replacements if they're similar to what I had in my Original Advents being actual actual acoustic suspension drivers (sealed and acoustic suspension aren't necessarily the same), those are pretty much gone. Looks like some choices on fleabay https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=smaller+advent+woofer&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

ps Welcome aboard!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have seen the pair for sale on ebay and I will watch those closely. I was just wondering if there were any forum members that had a pair available as I'm very anxious and excited to get them hahah!

Check Simply Speakers online -- and Parts Express
I've looked there and I can't seem to find anything. I'm also hoping to purchase the OEM woofers if possible. Thank you for the suggestion!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have seen the pair for sale on ebay and I will watch those closely. I was just wondering if there were any forum members that had a pair available as I'm very anxious and excited to get them hahah!

I've looked there and I can't seem to find anything. I'm also hoping to purchase the OEM woofers if possible. Thank you for the suggestion!
Good luck. Curious why the effort/time for these particular speakers? While I let my Original Advents go not knowing anything about surround repair/replacement, not really wanting those speakers, let alone the smaller set....

James440

James440

Audiophyte
Good luck. Curious why the effort/time for these particular speakers? While I let my Original Advents go not knowing anything about surround repair/replacement, not really wanting those speakers, let alone the smaller set....
My brother and dad have sworn by Advents for decades. I finally found a pair of OLAs for a good price so I purchased them last week. Shortly after, I saw these OSAs which match them perfectly and I just kinda fell in love. As a college student I definitely don't have the time or money to invest in them :(, but I would really like to bring these back. I think they're just such a perfect size small speaker too! (Esp for a college student to move around as my mains right now are Klipsch KG4s).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My brother and dad have sworn by Advents for decades. I finally found a pair of OLAs for a good price so I purchased them last week. Shortly after, I saw these OSAs which match them perfectly and I just kinda fell in love. As a college student I definitely don't have the time or money to invest in them :(, but I would really like to bring these back. I think they're just such a perfect size small speaker too! (Esp for a college student to move around as my mains right now are Klipsch KG4s).
Cool, good luck! I brought my Advents with me to college and displaced my roommate's gear (all seniors, they bowed to the freshman's gear after a demo).

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hello,

I'm new to Audioholics, so I apologize if this is the wrong topic to post this in. I recently purchased a pair of Smaller Advent loudspeakers and unfortunately the original woofers have been replaced. I was wondering if anyone knew of a solid replacement or have an extra pair laying around they'd be willing to sell to me.

Thank you so much!
James
Here there fellow audio video enthusiast, welcome to Genes website your Welcome here. By the way I like Your Avatar. Sherwin Vega speakers are pretty damn good my book. On this site you will find a lot of old timers with tons of experience and lots of technical knowledge they won't steer you wrong just make sure to ask the right questions and listen well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well Advent speakers were among the better speakers of the era. It is a pretty impossible task to find drop in replacements for an NLA woofer.

But in order to help we need info.

What model of speaker are we talking about? Have you looked for the T/S parameters of the driver and its acoustic response? If that data is not hiding somewhere on the Net, then you will have to search for original drivers.

I think the woofer you need is the 9 1/4" paper coned woofers. This outfit may be able to help you. I think they may have one of the woofers you need.

Last edited:
James440

James440

Audiophyte
Cool, good luck! I brought my Advents with me to college and displaced my roommate's gear (all seniors, they bowed to the freshman's gear after a demo).
Yeah I'm sure you did! I can't wait to refoam my advents and hear them. I think I, too, have pretty much conquered the entire dorm as far as audio is concerned... my room is just full of speakers right now :D (attached picture hahaha)

Here there fellow audio video enthusiast, welcome to Genes website your Welcome here. By the way I like Your Avatar. Sherwin Vega speakers are pretty damn good my book. On this site you will find a lot of old timers with tons of experience and lots of technical knowledge they won't steer you wrong just make sure to ask the right questions and listen well.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I just refoamed the Cerwins this week (my first refoam!) Lots of fun, but there seems to be a slight rattle in both cabinets which I may make a new thread on...

Well Advent speakers were among the better speakers of the era. It is a pretty impossible task to find drop in replacements for an NLA woofer.

But in order to help we need info.

What model of speaker are we talking about? Have you looked for the T/S parameters of the driver and its acoustic response? If that data is not hiding somewhere on the Net, then you will have to search for original drivers.

I think the woofer you need is the 9 1/4" paper coned woofers. This outfit may be able to help you. I think they may have one of the woofers you need.
I believe the speaker is just known as "The Smaller Advent" (known as the OSA). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a model number for it.
I believe the woofer is 9.5" in diameter. I'm not sure about the T/S parameters. I was mainly hoping to find OEM woofers. I don't think any woofer will ever be able to produce the same unique sound the original ones did.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah I'm sure you did! I can't wait to refoam my advents and hear them. I think I, too, have pretty much conquered the entire dorm as far as audio is concerned... my room is just full of speakers right now :D (attached picture hahaha)

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I just refoamed the Cerwins this week (my first refoam!) Lots of fun, but there seems to be a slight rattle in both cabinets which I may make a new thread on...

I believe the speaker is just known as "The Smaller Advent" (known as the OSA). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a model number for it.
I believe the woofer is 9.5" in diameter. I'm not sure about the T/S parameters. I was mainly hoping to find OEM woofers. I don't think any woofer will ever be able to produce the same unique sound the original ones did.
That is correct. You need the 9 1/4" woofer. That is long NLA. There are a lot of people looking for those woofers. I have found out that no one has measured those woofers. So finding an equivalent driver is impossible.

Try the site I listed. I'm pretty sure they have one woofer at least.

James440

James440

Audiophyte
That is correct. You need the 9 1/4" woofer. That is long NLA. There are a lot of people looking for those woofers. I have found out that no one has measured those woofers. So finding an equivalent driver is impossible.

Try the site I listed. I'm pretty sure they have one woofer at least.
I just got off the phone with them and they do have woofers available. Thank you for the tip, as this is the first place I've found to actually have them in stock! Unfortunately they're $176 for the pair and $30 for shipping. I just can't spare that on speakers right now.. If that's what I'll have to spend to get these back in shape, I may just have to cut my losses and give the cabinets away or something. :(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just got off the phone with them and they do have woofers available. Thank you for the tip, as this is the first place I've found to actually have them in stock! Unfortunately they're $176 for the pair and $30 for shipping. I just can't spare that on speakers right now.. If that's what I'll have to spend to get these back in shape, I may just have to cut my losses and give the cabinets away or something. :(
That is a pity. Less than $100 each for a quality 91/4" woofer, especially one everybody seems to be chasing is a very good price.

I don't think the cabinets are worth much without the woofers. $35 on eBay. Working, the speakers are fetching just over $100 on eBay.

There is a pair of woofers that need refoaming though.

Here is the refoaming kit.

Stereophile took a look back at those speakers in 2006.

The speakers were measured by Gordon J. Holt.

There are speakers on the market now that have a worse FR then these.

Given your age and situation, I would get those drivers and refoam them. A nice and worthwhile restoration project.

Do it and post pictures here!

James440

James440

Audiophyte
That is a pity. Less than $100 each for a quality 91/4" woofer, especially one everybody seems to be chasing is a very good price.

I don't think the cabinets are worth much without the woofers. $35 on eBay. Working, the speakers are fetching just over $100 on eBay.

There is a pair of woofers that need refoaming though.

Here is the refoaming kit.

Stereophile took a look back at those speakers in 2006.

The speakers were measured by Gordon J. Holt.

There are speakers on the market now that have a worse FR then these.

Given your age and situation, I would get those drivers and refoam them. A nice and worthwhile restoration project.

Do it and post pictures here!
Thank you for the advice. I have seen the woofers for sale on ebay, however given the demand I have a feeling they are going to go for well over my idea of an "affordable" price. I will watch them closely though as I really would like to do this project! Thank you for the link to the article. I saw the graphs posted elsewhere and that is quite impressive for such a small speaker! The man I talked to at Audio Proz worked for Advent back in the day and he said that the OSAs and LSAs are still better than many modern speakers (he mentioned KEFs specifically). I'm very excited and I certainly hope I can afford the woofers...

J

judgeman60

Audiophyte
Just re-foamed my "smaller advent" speakers that I've owned since about '77, with a kit a bought from "looneytune2001". Worked out nicely, and love listening to my old classic advents. Just remember, there were a couple of different sized woofers in the "smaller" advents, mine happened to be the exact same size as the "larger" advents. :)

James440

James440

Audiophyte
Just re-foamed my "smaller advent" speakers that I've owned since about '77, with a kit a bought from "looneytune2001". Worked out nicely, and love listening to my old classic advents. Just remember, there were a couple of different sized woofers in the "smaller" advents, mine happened to be the exact same size as the "larger" advents. :)
That's great! I'm glad you put in the effort to restore them instead of tossing them like many people do.
Since posting this thread I've restored two other pairs of Smaller Advents. I was able to locate two mostly original woofers in Ohio that I had shipped to me. Then I found another pair of Smaller Advents with the original woofers for sale nearby, they just needed a refoam. I can't recall who I bought the kit from, but it worked perfectly. I think it was SimplySpeakers. But it may have been LooneyTune.. I loved the speakers but after I left college I had to sell everything :(

As far as I know the Smaller Advent didn't come with any other sized woofer. It has a unique 9.5" woofer with a "spitwad" dustcap that was not interchangeable with any other speaker.

I've been moving around back and forth since then and I now have two pairs of Realistic Nova 7Bs and a pair of Rectilinear XIa's set up in my room. They sounds pretty good, but not like an Advent!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis