Warm bookshelf speakers? $300-800 - including used

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some names of warm bookshelf speakers? 5-6.5" woofers, I don't mind used as long as they are not impossible to find, but if they are worth it within the last 10 years, I know there are gems out there. For music and home theater. Anything else you would want to know to help narrow the search? I would prefer not extra large speakers, but if I have to to get the right one I will consider it. I'd like to wall mount them, so that limits rear ported.

I'm thinking elac b5.2 might be a place to start once it comes out. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews on that one.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some names of warm bookshelf speakers? 5-6.5" woofers, I don't mind used as long as they are not impossible to find, but if they are worth it within the last 10 years, I know there are gems out there. For music and home theater. Anything else you would want to know to help narrow the search? I would prefer not extra large speakers, but if I have to to get the right one I will consider it. I'd like to wall mount them, so that limits rear ported.

I'm thinking elac b5.2 might be a place to start once it comes out. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews on that one.
Since you will be wall mounting AND looking for warm speakers, then look no further than the Wharfedale Diamond 220's. They are somewhat warm in the mids with a very buttery smooth top end. They are also down-ported via the plinth. Thus, the 220's can be places close to a wall w/o and real issues. I have often described the 220's as being on the warm side of neutral if you will. Not to mention the 220's are very laid-back and/or polite. No fatigue at all as I could listen to them for hours and hours and never tire of them. Here is a link:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336D225BA/Wharfedale-Diamond-225-Blackwood.html

Note that the 220's come in a Blackwood, Rosewood Quilted, and a Walnut Pearl finish for $350 shipped! If you don't mind an open box buy, then musicdirect.com has them for about $270 shipped! Here is a link:

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-220-bookshelf-speakers-rosewood-demo

Right now I see that the 220's are available in Rosewood, Walnut, and/or White. However, the White version is $9 more. Anyways, hope this help. Best wishes. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a nice set of side clamping wall mounts:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Bookshelf-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521052597&sr=8-3&keywords=speaker+wall+mount

Using these, you could also opt for a brand new set of Wharfedale Reva 2's in Piano Black or Piano White for ONLY $549.95 shipped! Here is a link:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8g32g-wharfedale-reva-2-bookshelf-loudspeakers-brand-new-in-box-5-yr-warranty-45-off-f-monitors

The Reva 2's also are down ported via the plinth. But, they use much better cabinets, drivers, and cross-over components and a 5-year warranty. Usually, the Reva 2's are $1K a set! See for yourself:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336REVA2PB/Wharfedale-Reva-2-Piano-Black.html

Cheers,

Phil

A

Adam Davids

Audiophyte
I had Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's and I'd agree that their sound is warm and forgiving. You could also look into their Denton speakers. I thought they were more laid back than the Elac's (I had the B5, B6, and UB5) but not quite as dynamic. I'd also recommend looking for used Salk Song Surrounds, Philharmonics, Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf speakers, or LSA's. Those are all pretty laid back speakers that are great values, and even better if you can find used.

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies guys! I never knew Philharmonic made a mini monitor, those look pretty great.

I'm a little new to some of this and this would be my first educated speaker purchase, I have the receiver and sub already. There's a pair of NHT classic twos available at a good price, I know they are neutral, but are very good speakers. If paired with a sub would I still be missing something if I like a warm sound? Will a speaker like the diamond 220 for example give me more of what I would want if its considered not the same level/quality as the nht classic two, but a more matched sound signature of what I like, if it's paired with a sub?

A

Adam Davids

Audiophyte
A "warm" sound can be affected by a lot of factors. What receiver and sub do you have? What kind of music do you like? NHT speakers are a good value as well.

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
Denon avr-2113ci and svs sb1000. I listen to mostly electronic and hip hop, but lots more, so I do like a fuller sound, but still high quality.

A

Adam Davids

Audiophyte
Your sub is really good and will match with just about anything. That sub with the Philharmonic mini's will be very tough to beat. You probably won't be able to find any used though.

Those Dali's are a sweet deal too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Denon avr-2113ci and svs sb1000. I listen to mostly electronic and hip hop, but lots more, so I do like a fuller sound, but still high quality.
The Classic Two is a real nice speaker, it will be neutral -- with the sub you will benefit and get a full rich sound -- and the Two will be able to handle all types of music.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just heard back from Aaron and he sold them 2-weeks ago. Oh well, at least I looked into it.;););)

Cheers,

Phil

N

NYSoundGuy

Enthusiast
I know this will probably sound strange - but I owned a set of Energy RC-10's and they (believe it or not) were on the warm side. Barely on the warm side, but warm nonetheless. Those speakers were great, but I gave them to my dad to use as the rears in his 5.2 set up.

I'm guessing the RC-10's can be found used for fairly cheap.

J

JonnyG83

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered a set of classic twos, they will be here soon, I appreciate the help. The Phil minis will be on a short list after this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis