Magnepan 3.7i with Mcintosh MC452 - anyone

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I read it again and came to the same conclusion. Now what?

If you don’t match the impedance of the speakers to the taps on the Mc amp there’s a chance you will not get rated power. Is that not what you’re talking about? If not perhaps you could clear things up.
I was responding to TLS's post and stating that the MC452 provides it's full rated power into all three taps (2,4 and 8 ohm) , nothing more, nothing less. For the record when speakers are given a imp rating it is a 'nominal' one, not one that is locked in stone. It varies by frequency.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
go read post #14 again ............
The power output to each tap into that specific load, yes, but not into the other loads Call and ask what the output is going to the wrong load. If it's the same, there's no point in using the transformers, is there?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought Mac's 'autoformer' technology provided the same power regardless ??

Yep, just checked Mac's website, power is 450 watts on all three taps , 2, 4, or 8 ohm.
It is as long as it connected to the correct load, but not if it is not, I can assure you.

And those Mac amps because of those transformers are less then ideal for speakers with widely varying impedance with frequency. Like tube amps the frequency response will follow the impedance curve. That will not be a problem with Maggies.

I actually think the whole auto transformer idea is terrible and would never want to own an amp with them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It is as long as it connected to the correct load, but not if it is not, I can assure you.

And those Mac amps because of those transformers are less then ideal for speakers with widely varying impedance with frequency. Like tube amps the frequency response will follow the impedance curve. That will not be a problem with Maggies.

I actually think the whole auto transformer idea is terrible and would never want to own an amp with them.
gotcha ...... and with that being said the Op loves his pairing with his Maggies. So in the end that's all that matters !

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was responding to TLS's post and stating that the MC452 provides it's full rated power into all three taps (2,4 and 8 ohm) , nothing more, nothing less. For the record when speakers are given a imp rating it is a 'nominal' one, not one that is locked in stone. It varies by frequency.
TLS and Highfish beat me to it, but what they said. I know impedance varies with frequency, it's just that what you were saying was plain false.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
TLS and Highfish beat me to it, but what they said. I know impedance varies with frequency, it's just that what you were saying was plain false.
for crying out loud fuzz, get your head out of your rear end ...... I merely stated what Mac publishes as it relates to 'power at the tap' ! If you don't understand that then I don't give a rats rear end !

Go on Mac's website if you don't believe me !

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
for crying out loud fuzz, get your head out of your rear end ...... I merely stated what Mac publishes as it relates to 'power at the tap' ! If you don't understand that then I don't give a rats rear end !

Go on Mac's website if you don't believe me !
From what I've read of your posts it seems like the teapot calling the kettle black ;)

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
Seems like I remember (discussed on other forums) that macs double down output like other amps. They offer the taps/autoformer to offer impedance matching to reduce the load on the amp for increased output stage life.

That being said I am not seeing any real increase or decrease between the 4 or 8 ohms taps.

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
More importantly; this amp is not only nice to look at, but also sounds wonderful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis