T

TehDigger

Audiophyte
I recently got Technics SB2565 speakers for free however the mid is broken, I have been looking to replace it and was wondering if this can be easily bought or if i must constantly look and do many searches and hope. If the latter option is the case i was then wondering what an equivalent replacement would be.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Not a good idea to willy-nilly throw in replacement speakers. Even if you get one the correct impedance (not hard to do), it might be naturally louder or quieter than the original, which will assuredly mess up the overall sound.

Your best bet is to either gift them to someone else, or score one on ebay that you can scavenge parts from.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Normally Wayne's advice would be spot on. However those speakers are already dreadful and always were.

Those speakers are typical of those Far Easter three way speakers of the era. Large woofer, a cheap squawker mid and cone tweeter.

Those speakers were built to play loud and were sensitive. This makes finding a replacement difficult. However Visiton make a cheap generic replacement for speakers of that ilk. You will need to replace the mids in both speakers, so that both have the same version of awful. You will likely have to modify the cabinet somewhat to install the Visiton drivers.

The speakers are 93 db 1 watt 1 meter in sensitivity. The Visiton is 90 db. However that will probably be about right and take care of the bandpass gain.

It is not worth spending a lot on those speakers, as the pair is worth lees then $100 per pair even on optimal condition.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would replace the driver in both with something that looks similar.

Then take them to the dump and find something better. ;)

Plenty of decent speakers cheap on Craigslist. I found two different pairs of classic KEF Reference (Model 1 and 105/3) for under $600 yesterday, plenty of other smaller good ones from other makers for under $150 a pair.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis