Building a 2.1 powered wireless set up dreams. And work euphoria.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Findings......So at work I have the following set up. PC feeding my Emotiva XDA-1 to Swan M50 2.1 powered speakers. I set this up a few months ago but yesterday had to rearrange my desk which put the speakers out much further. They now sit almost 6 feet apart. Sub is under the desk. I turned on the music and all of a sudden had this massive sound stage. I now have that feeling of the sound coming out of the center. The speakers disappear. It's fantastic!!! I am really not sure I have ever had my home set up sound like this. Now that I know it will make me work hard for this set up.. It's really Great.

Questions/ opinion.
If you were to build a new 2.1 wireless powered set up at home, what would you go with? I started looking around and it looks like the KEF LS50 wireless may be the only game in town for higher quality playback. This would be built more out of convenience. Turn it on, and feed it through BT by phone source. I see Dynaudio makes a good set as well. I probably and missing a bunch that I haven't found yet. 2.1 set up in a 14x16 area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These are not wireless that I can see. These would be feed from a phone via BT.
Sorry, glossed over the wireless thing, but you could easily add a Google Chromecast Audio which IMHO is even better than bluetooth, if you have wi-fi.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Never thought of the wifi/bt dongle. Honestly was looking at what it would take to build a nicer sounding wireless system like the Kef's offer. I guess the cheapest way would be to add a dongle to my current system and be done.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The LS50 Wireless is pricey, though you're getting pairs of 200 watt amps for the mid-woofer and 30 watt amps for the tweeters, a DSP, and a pretty darn good DAC for the money. I've seen used for as little as $1400.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I wonder how they would work using a sub with them. I can adjust all my current settings on my Parasound P5 pre. Does the DSP have an automatic correction when you plug in the sub?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No automatic correction that I'm aware of, though I don't see that being an issue in the vast majority of systems. Subs have enough control with their own DSP, crossovers, gain, and placement to solve all but the worst of problems.

My own desktop system of LS50'S with Bluesound Powernode 2 could be a good example. The sub is a new KEF Kube 10b. The amp has a simple full range output, so I set the crossover on the sub at 90hz, and adjusted gain with my ears to what sounded right. When my cousin came over today to hear it, he say at my desk a couple minutes playing music and started looking around at his feet for a sub. I pointed it out, off to his left about 5 feet from where he was sitting. He was baffled as to why it sounded like it was coming from behind my desk where the soundstage is.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis