Help for a bar/rest project...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Will have them in mind... only convern with these “outdoor” speaker is a feeling that I’m getting a worst item for a similar price when compared to bookshelfs... but I don’t really know... I’m currently in “reading all opinions and data” mode...
I think it might be best to realize you won't hear sound quality outside as you would inside unless the budget is increased substantially- outdoor audio is very different from inside and large rooms are very different from small rooms.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Will do. But it may take some time.

I am no expert. What I learnt is from all of you here at the forum and discussing items with Dr. Toole and others.

I would like to create a set up outside that I can also use for critical listening and that requires better outdoor speakers and better quality subwoofer. Looks like there is not a large market for either of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sorry. It is taking longer for me to complete the outside testing than planned.

@rubenlopez

If you have already made a decision, let me know and I will not spend time doing this testing.

Last edited:
R

rubenlopez

Enthusiast
Sorry. It is taking longer for me to complete the outside testing than planned.

@rubenlopez

If you have already made a decision, let me know and I will not spend time doing this testing.

Hello Sr... please do not worry at all... you’ve been very helpful with all the data provided... apologies if you felt you needed to test them for me...

Regarding the decision... nothing yet, but I have plenty of time... might buy in August or around that time... at the moment I’m getting as much info and data as possible to make the best decision...

By the way, talked today with an audio guy here in Costa Rica about the subject... his feedback was: studio monitors will provide the best sound quality, yet the sound dispersion will not be the best... he recommends based on price/quality, the jbl 305 or 308, but in his opinion they will not last long due to them being made for indoors, and not products designed for continuos playback... he told me the PA route was in his opinion the way to go, and that it it’s true that db levels could vary between close clients vs far clients, but, that this situation could be managed with proper placement and volume level to achieve an optimal db and sound dispersion... that’s his thought on the matter... two PA, jbl prx or eons... yet, I still dont know...

Planning to get for my house a pair of jbls 308 in the next couple of months... that could help the decision... might get as well a new Sony Bluetooth speaker (xb31) and do some tests in field for the project...

Thanks again and feel free to ask or throw any ideas/opinions you might have

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Hello Sr... please do not worry at all... you’ve been very helpful with all the data provided... apologies if you felt you needed to test them for me...

Regarding the decision... nothing yet, but I have plenty of time... might buy in August or around that time... at the moment I’m getting as much info and data as possible to make the best decision...

By the way, talked today with an audio guy here in Costa Rica about the subject... his feedback was: studio monitors will provide the best sound quality, yet the sound dispersion will not be the best... he recommends based on price/quality, the jbl 305 or 308, but in his opinion they will not last long due to them being made for indoors, and not products designed for continuos playback... he told me the PA route was in his opinion the way to go, and that it it’s true that db levels could vary between close clients vs far clients, but, that this situation could be managed with proper placement and volume level to achieve an optimal db and sound dispersion... that’s his thought on the matter... two PA, jbl prx or eons... yet, I still dont know...

Planning to get for my house a pair of jbls 308 in the next couple of months... that could help the decision... might get as well a new Sony Bluetooth speaker (xb31) and do some tests in field for the project...

Thanks again and feel free to ask or throw any ideas/opinions you might have
Great. Good luck. Since you have high ceilings, and if you place your speakers there, you would get a wide uniform sound dispersion.

But if you want to move them inside everyday, that may not work.

Otherwise, he is right on the money.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This country is an insect paradise, so I guess yes...

Checked the polk line and yamaha earlier in the morning, but prices are not “reasonable”... $99 per pair for the base o f line atrium 4 in polk... that’s when I tought that id I was going wired way, the kefs q100 would be a much better deal... yet, now that someone said they could sound bad on a outdoor placement I’m having second toughts... this could happen as well with the JBLs 305s... but I dont know...

Flip4, charge and extreme, or sony xb line has, if we look at it on that angle, the advantage that while they could not be serious speakers for audio listening, they might be calibrated for outdoor use...
I don't know how you might get them to Costa Rico unless you travel here often, but if you buy refurbished from these guys, you can save some serious money!
https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spkoutdoor&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=a86218f1ff6d6184e5b8f10730bc05d208a7c63f&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

You'll still have to buy the amplification for them, of course.

R

rubenlopez

Enthusiast
^^^ Those prices look pretty good... thinking of keep the passive+amp combo out, but will keep the link in case new thoughts come around... thanks, best prices I’ve seen... PO box shipping usually does the trick... then its just a fight with local customs since they like to steal a lot of cash for all imports...

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I don't know how you might get them to Costa Rico unless you travel here often, but if you buy refurbished from these guys, you can save some serious money!
https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=spkoutdoor&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=a86218f1ff6d6184e5b8f10730bc05d208a7c63f&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc

You'll still have to buy the amplification for them, of course.
They look good @KEW

BTW, DID you ever design a music system for outdoors? How did you get more or less flat frequency response till about 50 hz. (Or lower) Outdoors?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They look good @KEW

BTW, DID you ever design a music system for outdoors? How did you get more or less flat frequency response till about 50 hz. (Or lower) Outdoors?

No, I've never put together an outdoor system.
It seems like more treble and bass are needed once you lose walls.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
No, I've never put together an outdoor system.
It seems like more treble and bass are needed once you lose walls.
More treble also? Why do you say that? Any reference? Thanks in advance.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
More treble also? Why do you say that? Any reference? Thanks in advance.

No, just my own experience with a portable speaker (JBL Xtreme).
I found that inside, I needed to turn down the treble, but outside it sounded better w/o EQ. I would guess the loss of reflected sound is what makes the difference, but there are lots of other factors, including dispersion and placement in room and outdoors (relative to a ceiling or wall) which may be a bigger factor than I am giving them credit for. Outside, I usually have it on an outdoor furniture end table and >25' to the nearest wall (for use by a fire pit).
The treble that is too strong inside presents as providing a nice level of detail outside, to my ear.

The same is true of the bass. It is too heavy and gets boomy for inside use, but is nicely full outside (for a portable bluetooth unit).
Since it is JBL/Harman, I figure they know how to get the FR they want, so took this as a lesson that for a speaker to sound good outdoors, you'd want more bass and treble (the speaker is rugged and splash-proof, so I think "outside design").
However, this is far from a rigorous conclusion based on research, or evidence from a statistically valid sample size, so take it with a grain of salt (and please share if there is contradictory info)!
Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis