Under 10k - where to go?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad someone already have a mentioned Salk. While I understand that Phil-3 Towers should sound similar to Jim Salk's Soundscapes, I've yet to hear the prior. But this particular audioholic opinion, I've yet to hear better sounding speaker than SoundScape 8 vs any other speaker at any price point, including $100k speakers. These speaker shamelessly stole the AH 2012 GTG by WIIIIIIIIIIIIDE margin.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
At $7500 a set they better sound good......LOL!!! They certainly look fantastic! It is my understanding that Paradigm now owns PSB/Nad. I was not aware of that until here recently. Have also read a lot of good things about the PSB subs. Of course, I am much more interested in their bookshelf offerings. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
PSB is owned by Lenbrook Industries which has no afflilation with Paradigm as far as I know.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
PSB is owned by Lenbrook Industries which has no afflilation with Paradigm as far as I know.
I read somewhere that mentioned PSB is now owned by Paradigm. Perhaps, that info was not correct. But, I know that I read it. Was just looking for that as we speak. However, have not found it just yet. Not trying to mislead anyone by any stretch of the imagination. Will look into it further. Does PSB have a T3 bookshelf speaker? Crutchfield is not showing any if they do. Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, you are correct and my info was wrong. I knew PSB and Nad were owned by the same group, but not Bluesound wireless. Just learned that. In fact, I find that rather interesting. Can't seem to find the article right now. But, will continue to look around for it. Thanks for pointing that out. Never want to misinform.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I used to have something against ribbons but always like the stats. Love my Audeze LCD4 - if there was any speaker to come close to it

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
The Philarmonic3 just doesn’t look right to me - no offense. The waf is close to 0 in my case :( (For phil3)

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
How long would ML last? I may be able to pony up for a pair of 15A (talking without thinking)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Philarmonic3 just doesn’t look right to me - no offense. The waf is close to 0 in my case :( (For phil3)
Although I had a fair amount of liberty with regard to the WAF in the loft HT...I would've struggled to get those approved as well.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Part of me thinks of the XTZ + DEQX. That "should" be noticeably better than what I have right now. There is a problem though - either the dispersion for XTZ Divine will suck or you strain the tweeter depending where you put the crossover (they have a 7" as mid)
Another option would be PBN B741 without the crossover + deqx.
Or - a ML 15A demo (around 15k) - because I like the sound of stats. Last time I listened to a ML I didn't like the sibilance though. I need to go to a local dealer and listen to the new ones.
Another option are the Maggies - I remember I liked them. They can't play loud but I don't care for that as much.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maggie have a tiny sweetspot.
I'm with your budget it's just silly to disregard Salk. I'm serious if you want audio nirvana, just get the ss8 and be done with it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hate to really read this. I think that the Phil3's look amazing. Would love to own a set, but they are way out of my price range. However, the BMR's are much more doable. Right now trying to get some things paid off. Who knows what the future holds. Have also been looking at the KEF LS50's and/or the Q350's. Very intrigued by the Uni-Q drivers. Best wishes on your final decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
To me they look like a speaker with a very long folded transmission line. I could unfold the line and create a tower, but your wife would have to agree to cutting a hole in the ceiling and installing warning flashers for low-flying aircraft.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I auditioned the new ML generation - kick a$$... There are a couple of them on Audiogon but out of my price range (the 13A and 15A). I need to think twice before coughing up that much money. And wait for the taxes... I'm getting tired looking at everything and can't make up my mind.
Salk would be another alternative - a ribbon, an Accuton midrange and some 7-8 inch woofer like Soundscape 8 is also attractive.
I think I'll hit the pause button for a few days.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hate to really read this. I think that the Phil3's look amazing. Would love to own a set, but they are way out of my price range. However, the BMR's are much more doable. Right now trying to get some things paid off. Who knows what the future holds. Have also been looking at the KEF LS50's and/or the Q350's. Very intrigued by the Uni-Q drivers. Best wishes on your final decision.

Cheers,

Phil
I'd love a pair of Phil3s...if I forced the issue I could probably get them past the wife...in the loft only. I feel really blessed to have the funds for the Salks...that removed WAF being an issue at all.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'd love a pair of Phil3s...if I forced the issue I could probably get them past the wife...in the loft only. I feel really blessed to have the funds for the Salks...that removed WAF being an issue at all.
I too would love a set of the 3's. However, I am more interested in the BMR's b/c they are much more doable for me (budget). But make no mistake here, if I could opt for the 3's it would easily be a no brainer for me. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I auditioned the new ML generation - kick a$$... There are a couple of them on Audiogon but out of my price range (the 13A and 15A). I need to think twice before coughing up that much money. And wait for the taxes... I'm getting tired looking at everything and can't make up my mind.
Salk would be another alternative - a ribbon, an Accuton midrange and some 7-8 inch woofer like Soundscape 8 is also attractive.
I think I'll hit the pause button for a few days.
Definitely don't rush it. If you plan to keep these as long or longer than the Xd's, you need to make sure they are the right ones!
OTOH, if you are buying used, you can usually get most of your money back on resale.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I am having second thoughts:
1. I still like my NHT XD 2.2. Not perfect but I love it
2. 18 months ago I changed jobs - better pay but longer hours. That + running + biking leaves little time to stay in front of my speakers. OTOH my headphones get a lot of time so maybe I should by the Stax Sr009?
For now I will just chill. Thanks everybody for suggestions. I made a list with some of the speakers. In time I will try to audition as many as I can.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis