Speakers to replace Soundbar

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
In the event we at sometime return to conventional speakers from our soundbar please recommend fronts, center and sub to support latest audio used with 4K Ultra Uhd. Budget is <>$1,500. Room shape is not conducive to surround (rear) speakers.

IMO, the major challenge for a 3.1 setup is providing the impact of 5.1. This is one of the reasons we prefer a soundbar. High quality Soundbars do a decent to good job of simulating surround sound, some even provide Atmos.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The surround speakers in a 5.1 system are not about 'impact' they are about immersion. They don't really make your system louder. They normally play at a low level compared to the front stage speakers. 'Impact' belongs to the front stage speakers and subwoofer. At a 1.5k budget there are a lot of good choices, like Ascend Acoustics, Monoprice Monolith, SVS, RSL, but if you are after impact, I would be looking at the Hybrid 3 3.1 system from Hsu Research, that gets you a serious 15" sub and three horn-loaded bookshelf speakers, that will have a lot of impact for just under $1500.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
The surround speakers in a 5.1 system are not about 'impact' they are about immersion. They don't really make your system louder. They normally play at a low level compared to the front stage speakers. 'Impact' belongs to the front stage speakers and subwoofer. At a 1.5k budget there are a lot of good choices, like Ascend Acoustics, Monoprice Monolith, SVS, RSL, but if you are after impact, I would be looking at the Hybrid 3 3.1 system from Hsu Research, that gets you a serious 15" sub and three horn-loaded bookshelf speakers, that will have a lot of impact for just under $1500.
Thank you for replying. Loudness is certainly not the objective. Enjoying the various audio formats in a clear, concise manner, especially vocals, is the primary objective.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for replying. Loudness is certainly not the objective. Enjoying the various audio formats in a clear, concise manner, especially vocals, is the primary objective.
I think any of the systems from the manufacturers that I named should be able to do that.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Including high res audio? I of course understand the need for an appropriate new receiver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Including high res audio? I of course understand the need for an appropriate new receiver.
The speakers will play whatever audio you throw at them just fine, hi or low resolution. High vs low resolution only describes the sound file data of the source content.

S

scwlw

Enthusiast
Why not use a yamaha soundbar, expand your budget and get a sub and live happily ever after! I have the first one the ysp-1 I bought as a store demo over 10 years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis