ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I picked up a set of the KEF LS50 on Black Friday. Got shipping notification today and they are coming from Canada BC. Really strange that KEF USA store would ship from there. Anyone else have experience with KEF online store and shipping origins?? That’s a long way to ship since I’m in Florida. Not that it matters but these are for my Father. Not prying me away from my Ascend’s yet. I excited to finally listen to them however.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Just a semi-educated guess, but ... a lot of consumer electronics made in Asia are shippped to North American ports in Seattle or Vancouver BC. So there are some warehouses in that region for such products. They are warehoused there before being distributed around the continent.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I picked up a set of the KEF LS50 on Black Friday. Got shipping notification today and they are coming from Canada BC. Really strange that KEF USA store would ship from there. Anyone else have experience with KEF online store and shipping origins?? That’s a long way to ship since I’m in Florida. Not that it matters but these are for my Father. Not prying me away from my Ascend’s yet. I excited to finally listen to them however.
Listen to ls50 with a sub and then let me know how they compare with your ascend.

I think you would be surprised by ls50. Please listen for the following.

1. Which speaker makes you believe that the singer is present in the room.

2. Which speaker makes you believe that sound is NOT coming out the speakers.

3. Which speaker comes closest to live sound.

4. Which speaker allows to to listen to each instrument separately in a band. The instrument sounds are separate and without merging with other instruments.

Good luck. Let's know your impressions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Will do. KEF sent me a reply. They had a big demand on BF so they had to ship from multiple warehouses.
Hope they are packed well. BC to Florida...

R

rdkusher

Audioholic Intern
i have been using a pair of ls50's for the past 2 weeks and i love them.i auditioned them against a lot of other great speakers but the ls50's i kept coming back to.i am interested to see if we havesimilar observations.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
i have been using a pair of ls50's for the past 2 weeks and i love them.i auditioned them against a lot of other great speakers but the ls50's i kept coming back to.i am interested to see if we havesimilar observations.
I auditioned them as well when I was shopping. Excellent speaker. I ended up choosing something else, but the KEF LS50 is an excellent choice.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I auditioned them as well when I was shopping. Excellent speaker. I ended up choosing something else, but the KEF LS50 is an excellent choice.
What did you choose?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
What did you choose?

shkumar
I am the proud owner of a pair of Salk Songtowers. It was a tough choice, but, that's what choices are when you like more than one option. The LS50's have a ton to like about them. Nothing to dislike if a bookshelf is your primary target. The Songtowers hit my sweet spot more directly. Now that I have the Salks, I also have no regrets.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Listen to ls50 with a sub and then let me know how they compare with your ascend.

I think you would be surprised by ls50. Please listen for the following.

1. Which speaker makes you believe that the singer is present in the room.

2. Which speaker makes you believe that sound is NOT coming out the speakers.

3. Which speaker comes closest to live sound.

4. Which speaker allows to to listen to each instrument separately in a band. The instrument sounds are separate and without merging with other instruments.

Good luck. Let's know your impressions.

+1

I carried on going around shops and listening to a lot of other speakers just to enjoy how good my LS50's are. No one is left indifferent when visiting me and hearing them. From studio engineers to musicians to regular folk.

I think the packaging is thick enough and there's nothing for you to worry about. I'm in EU and my speakers went through 3 countries by courier service and they were speck-less. From Germany to Austria to Slovenia before they arrived.

How good a deal was it, if you don't mind disclosing?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Got the LS50 Yesterday and the packaging looked new. UPS did good. Now I have a mounting question. For those using stands.... Did you mount these with Blue Tack? I need to keep these secure as the home has cats. And at times I am sure they might be jumped on.:mad::mad:... I used Blue Tack on my Ascend Acoustics 150 and it pulled the vinyl off.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Many LS50 owners use Blu-Tack to secure the speakers to stands. No issues. That finish is quite well adhered to the cabinets and I've never heard of it coming off without deliberate applications of Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Have you fired them up yet to listen?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Got the LS50 Yesterday and the packaging looked new. UPS did good. Now I have a mounting question. For those using stands.... Did you mount these with Blue Tack? I need to keep these secure as the home has cats. And at times I am sure they might be jumped on.:mad::mad:... I used Blue Tack on my Ascend Acoustics 150 and it pulled the vinyl off.
When using any adhesive material, it's surface dependant. Always clean any surface prior to adhesion with something like 80/20 water / alcohol first. I use various 3m double sided products and rarely have any issues.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Many LS50 owners use Blu-Tack to secure the speakers to stands. No issues. That finish is quite well adhered to the cabinets and I've never heard of it coming off without deliberate applications of Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Have you fired them up yet to listen?
Not yet. That will happen this weekend when I get a chance to set it up and listen.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Not yet. That will happen this weekend when I get a chance to set it up and listen.
I bet the LS50's will sound awesome. Good luck and hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I will add a little bit here. I have been playing with two sets of other speakers in the last few weeks. The Polk LSim 703 that I picked up for half off, and the KEF Q100. I really like both of them. The Polk are very balanced and smooth. The KEF are a little brighter but have a tone that I like a lot. Good thing we got two sets at this price.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I use the rubber rings provided in the box (I have no animals or children, I hate the little bastards;)). I'm glad they're undamaged upon arrival, tell us what you think when you crank them up. I'm really interested.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
bye bye cats? :)

mine are on a pair of American Recorder (ART) Studio Monitor Speaker Stands (later renamed DR Pro's).
https://www.amazon.com/DR-Pro-SMS1BK-Studio-Monitor/dp/B004I1FY94

I was so impressed by them I've purchased 4 units over the years. Sturdy and well built and reasonably priced ($100 a pair). Though I've noticed the price has significantly increased since then.

between the weight of the LS50's and the sticky felt rubber(?) on the top of the stands, they're not going anywhere.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will add a little bit here. I have been playing with two sets of other speakers in the last few weeks. The Polk LSim 703 that I picked up for half off, and the KEF Q100. I really like both of them. The Polk are very balanced and smooth. The KEF are a little brighter but have a tone that I like a lot. Good thing we got two sets at this price.
Good to know you seem to be exploring on the speakers front for sound quality. Many of us learnt it the hard way, only after spending a fortune on preamp/amps, that we finally woke up and be honest with ourselves. That it is the recordings, speakers, and the room, stupid..

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
So true.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis