Bookshelf selection.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ill probably get flamed on this question but still want some opinions. Budget 1600. Not being able to listen to any speakers at the moment but am always shopping for new ones. With my Outlaw sub handling the lows, what bookshelf would you select in the budget range for extremely good mids and highs? I am leaning towards either KEF, Dynaudio, Revel. Was going to get the Sierra 2 again but I couldn't get the right blend out of them, so I sold them and bought my current towers the Ascend RAAL's. Want a bookshelf for a different room. Online purchase is key here too since I have no Audio stores anywhere near me. Thanks

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Interesting. I wounder how these would differ from my Sierra 2'S since they both use RAAL.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Difference is Dennis lol. His sound profile works for me. I'd say they're a great place to start on a bookshelf search.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also another option that was just released recently
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongSurround+Plus
Great alternative to the RAAL tweeter.

I don't see the CAOW1 on the website anymore but would be another good one.

The philaminator would be my first choice, as you can throw a ton of power at it with low distortion numbers.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you have to order the CAOW1 from Salk now, Dennis no longer offers them. These are what I own and I love them.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Nobody's going to mention the BMRs? Dennis explains some of the advantages of the 3-way BMR over the 2-way Philharmonitor in this post, which include more than the obvious extended bass range.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Now that you can get the BMR's for $1350, I don't see much reason to get the Philharmonitors!
You can still pay more if you want the Salk cabinets, but sound-wise, the BMR seems like a giant-killer!

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
That's a big asz Bookshelf and might be right what I am looking for.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was going to recommend BMR also. I like larger bookshelf speakers too, that's why I still have my GR Research A/V-2s :) (though I also still have and use my A/V-1s as surrounds currently).

My issue is I want to use the CAOW1s in my setup but the center that matches them is $850.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Now that you can get the BMR's for $1350, I don't see much reason to get the Philharmonitors!
You can still pay more if you want the Salk cabinets, but sound-wise, the BMR seems like a giant-killer!
Right--the Philharmonitors are just too close in price to the BMR's to make much sense unless space is at an absolute premium. I'm trying to make the numbers work for a revised version that will get the price down into the 800's.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Right--the Philharmonitors are just too close in price to the BMR's to make much sense unless space is at an absolute premium. I'm trying to make the numbers work for a revised version that will get the price down into the 800's.
Dennis
Is there a natural wood option on these? Like a bare wood low sheen finish?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis
Is there a natural wood option on these? Like a bare wood low sheen finish?
On the BMR's? You can get anything you want if Jim Salk makes the cabinets, but the Parts Express cabinets only come in piano black and a pretty low-sheen cherry that may be birch stained to look like cherry.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thank you. What is the turn around time on Salk option if I go this route?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis