Best speaker sound vs cost new.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Which speakers give the best sound to cost? 2 way or 3 way? In 3 price ranges, under $2,000, under
$5,000 and under $10,000. Which ones in each price range? I’m only asking which ones sound better not which look better or are better built. Thanks

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
OMG, I can only imagine where this is headed .............

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think he's taking lessons from Marcus Oakley?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Which speakers give the best sound to cost? 2 way or 3 way? In 3 price ranges, under $2,000, under
$5,000 and under $10,000. Which ones in each price range? I’m only asking which ones sound better not which look better or are better built. Thanks
Let's say that it is easy to grade a speaker (any product) up to a 9/10 grade. After that "the best" must be your very personal and very subjective pick/choice.

However, in that 9/10 class of products you would find a wide range not just a single brand/model of speakers. That range has been covered over a number of threads here, you should snoop around somewhat.

For example, as a general rule, you stand better chances with bookshelves under 2k. Also, your chances might increase with Internet Direct and reliable brands like Revel, RBH, KEF, JBL, Klipsch, certain Definitive Technology models etc. Which is best is for you to say.

With 5k you can enter the realm of some solid towers (I assume you mean 5k a pair, if it's 5k a piece even more so). At 5k a pair you also start to see a proverbial "state of the art" bookshelves.

But even if you were to precisely describe what you mean by "best sound", we could hardly be more accurate than this. It is different for different rooms, different uses, different SPL, music styles, ones preferences.

You could get some recommendations for you to listen to and test, nothing more.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've heard Van Zyl's personal horns, TLS Guy's TLs and I've listened to my own bipolar overbuilt sealed monsters for years. All 3 designs are completely different and yet all are amazing speakers in their own right.

The material you listen too should IMO drive your speaker style. For example if you listen to loudness wars 90s rock IMO a TL is a terrible choice. In fact I think sealed is the best as it's most forgiving IME.

But if you listen to classical, baroque and music like that then a TL is a great choice. FWIW movies are full of classical type music so if you're primary goal is movies then a TL is a great choice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis