Definitive Technology BP 9060 vs 8060

D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
Gotcha yeah I'm a huge electronic music guy so I think they will be nice. You have anything to say about the def tech cinema 600 surrounds?
Did you keep your 9020's? You might see about using those as your surrounds.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
my room is pretty small..
Then you probably don't even need a separate subwoofer.

If I owned those DTs, I would use the LFE input and set the speakers to Small in the AVR.

If the 2 built-in subs rattle the walls or windows in your small room, you don't need to waste money on another sub.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have two bp 9060 in the front stage and bp 9020 as my surrounds, in a 2500 cubic foot room the bass from these speakers is enough to shake the windows...Current buying my time till I can order my sub.
If they already shake the windows, why even buy another sub? Are you trying to also shake the floor and ceiling? :D

A long time ago, I used to own the DT BP7000SC for fronts and BP7001SC for surrounds in my 15'x17'x15' (3,800 Cubic FT) room. They rattled just about every wall, window, and door in my 3,000SF house. Even so I added the DT Trinity sub. I'm sure it produced more bass. But since all the walls, doors, and windows were already significantly rattled, what's a little more rattling and shaking? :D

I think in this hobby, we tend to over-do and over-think things. :D

How are you setting up your 4 DTs? Setting all speakers to small and using 4 LFEs like you are using 4 subwoofers?

Last edited:
D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
If they already shake the windows, why even buy another sub? Are you trying to also shake the floor and ceiling? :D

A long time ago, I used to own the DT BP7000SC for fronts and BP7001SC for surrounds in my 15'x17'x15' (3,800 Cubic FT) room. They rattled just about every wall, window, and door in my 3,000SF house. Even so I added the DT Trinity sub. I'm sure it produced more bass. But since all the walls, doors, and windows were already significantly rattled, what's a little more rattling and shaking? :D

I think in this hobby, we tend to over-do and over-think things. :D
I agree with most of it, but the 9060 just don't reach low enough for my liking. It seem to be missing the lowest lows 35 Hz and below. I've run them both ways small with LFE and large there is not much difference to me. Yes you have a little more control of the amount of bass using the LFE but it doesn't seem to reach any lower. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a frequency difference sent to the tower using small plus LFE verses Large setting on the unit (Denon AVR930H).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with most of it, but the 9060 just don't reach low enough for my liking. It seem to be missing the lowest lows 35 Hz and below. I've run them both ways small with LFE and large there is not much difference to me. Yes you have a little more control of the amount of bass using the LFE but it doesn't seem to reach any lower. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a frequency difference sent to the tower using small plus LFE verses Large setting on the unit (Denon AVR930H).
Definitely try using Audyssey Dynamic EQ (try different offset settings) if you have not.

When I owned the BP7000 and BP7001, I tried both for a long time. In the end, before I sold them, I concluded that I liked them best setting to small and using LFE. Unfortunately at that time, I had not "discovered" using Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

But if I were to go back in time, I would definitely use Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

I don't think the 9060 is as potent in bass as the BP7000 and BP7001, but if all your windows are already shaking significantly, what happens with a lot more bass? :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's because they don't reach as low as a proper sub would. Your experience seems to go along with the measurements here

D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
That's because they don't reach as low as a proper sub would. Your experience seems to go along with the measurements here
That being said and knowing the 4 towers I have all contain powered subs. Do I go with two small subs (SVS pb1000) or one Large sub (SVS pb 2000 or HSU VFT-15H MK2) open to any suggestions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That being said and knowing the 4 towers I have all contain powered subs. Do I go with two small subs (SVS pb1000) or one Large sub (SVS pb 2000 or HSU VFT-15H MK2) open to any suggestions.
I'd call what the DTs have powered woofers. I prefer multiple subs...but are you looking to optimize response for just one seat or multiple seats? How low and loud do you want to go? What are the dimensions of your room and is it sealed or open to others?

D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
I'd call what the DTs have powered woofers. I prefer multiple subs...but are you looking to optimize response for just one seat or multiple seats? How low and loud do you want to go? What are the dimensions of your room and is it sealed or open to others?
Room 20' x 13'3"x 8' sealed room. The room has 2 rows of seating and would like to maximize the sound to all seats. 9060's are set 1.5' off the front wall 9020 are set at 12.5" and raise 14" off the ground to make then the same height as the 9060's and to get the higher then the back of the couch this is just behind the front row of seating. If I were to get a single sub I would probably place it about 5' in to the room to help with wave cancellation. I really haven't thought about placement of dual subs. There is plenty of bass in the room it is just missing the lowest frequencies. I want it to go low, I really want to feel the bass hence the tendency to want to go with the larger sub. I feel I can always add a second sub in time if it is lacking in some areas of the room.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Room 20' x 13'3"x 8' sealed room. The room has 2 rows of seating and would like to maximize the sound to all seats. 9060's are set 1.5' off the front wall 9020 are set at 12.5" and raise 14" off the ground to make then the same height as the 9060's and to get the higher then the back of the couch this is just behind the front row of seating. If I were to get a single sub I would probably place it about 5' in to the room to help with wave cancellation. I really haven't thought about placement of dual subs. There is plenty of bass in the room it is just missing the lowest frequencies. I want it to go low, I really want to feel the bass hence the tendency to want to go with the larger sub. I feel I can always add a second sub in time if it is lacking in some areas of the room.
Small enough room where a single largish sub may do it if placed optimally, and hard to know in advance altho modelling it with something like REW's room simulator may give you some placement ideas. Can you fit two largish subs (such as the Hsu) should you go dual?

D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
Small enough room where a single largish sub may do it if placed optimally, and hard to know in advance altho modelling it with something like REW's room simulator may give you some placement ideas. Can you fit two largish subs (such as the Hsu) should you go dual?
I would if I placed the second at the rear of the room. I was also thinking about adding two bass traps in the front corners of the room to help with equalization. Thoughts?

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
I now have 4 deftech procinema 600 monitors, the 8060s, and the deftech 1000 center. I'm having trouble getting them to play correctly. I've calibrated using a mic and everything but I can't get the center to play voices in TV / the surrounds to play music correctly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I now have 4 deftech procinema 600 monitors, the 8060s, and the deftech 1000 center. I'm having trouble getting them to play correctly. I've calibrated using a mic and everything but I can't get the center to play voices in TV / the surrounds to play music correctly.
Can you expand on what you mean by "correctly"? What avr do you have and explain more about the calibrated with a mic thing. For the tv not using the center is that a stereo source and you're not matrixing it to 5.1 with a sound mode?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious also, what sound mode you’re using for each source.

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
Can you expand on what you mean by "correctly"? What avr do you have and explain more about the calibrated with a mic thing. For the tv not using the center is that a stereo source and you're not matrixing it to 5.1 with a sound mode?
I have a pioneer elite SC-85. I calibrated them using a mic in the mcacc setup. my avr remote has 3 buttons to change sound mode: Auto, Surr, and Adv. Theres like 5 different modes in auto and they all only play through the fronts. Surr has PCM and stereo which also only plays through fronts. Adv has like 15 modes that generally dont sound very good and put most of the strain on the center and make the fronts muffled. Theres also an audio parameters button on the remote that changes the settings of the mcacc memory, I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a pioneer elite SC-85. I calibrated them using a mic in the mcacc setup. my avr remote has 3 buttons to change sound mode: Auto, Surr, and Adv. Theres like 5 different modes in auto and they all only play through the fronts. Surr has PCM and stereo which also only plays through fronts. Adv has like 15 modes that generally dont sound very good and put most of the strain on the center and make the fronts muffled. Theres also an audio parameters button on the remote that changes the settings of the mcacc memory, I'm not sure what to do.
Are these complaints when you you're using a 2.0 source? How is it for 5.1/7.1 source material? Have you gone thru your manual (pages 63-67 particularly) to understand the choices and what your options are for changing parameters? Been a while since I've had a Pioneer avr so no particular ideas on what to try but there are many ways to customize the sound.

Setting up with MCACC should generally give you a good starting point. You might also want to share your speaker positioning/room setup, optimizing that as a starting point is a good idea.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis