Definitive Technology BP 9060 vs 8060

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
Hey guys Ivjust bought the bp 9020s and I really like them but I'm looking for heavier bass and just more altogether. I spent $1100 for the pair and want to buy the 9060s for $1900. However, I was doing some research and found that the BP 8060s are comparable to the 9060s for 1/3 of the price. Are the 9060s worth the extra $1000?
Thank you!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They have 10" subs built into each tower
What are you doing for REAL subs? :p

Buy the 8060 and spend that extra $1k on a big boy sub-woofer!:):):)

Even better, stick with the 9020 and buy a PAIR of big boy subs!

Seriously, those built in DT subs cannot compete with a real sub. They are fine for almost all types of music, except maybe some of the deepest digging hiphop, but for movies, you will NEED a sub-woofer.

For reference, I run a pair of GE T2 (they share a heritage with DT, and they also have the built in powered "subs"), but I run mine with a Rythmik F15HP.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Somehow that 18hz to 40khz response doesn't realistic :eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Steven Barnett
I forgot to mention that.

DO NOT TRUST DT PUBLISHED FR!

It is completely bogus. If you think you are getting deep bass due to the DT marketing, then they got one over on you. Only trust 3rd party measurements.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
They have 10" subs built into each tower
The built in "subs" are good to around 35hz. Like others have said, get the 8060s and put the savings towards a real sub.

From Sound and Vision- the 9060 will be the same.
"
The BP-8060ST’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.66/–2.26 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 39 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 36 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.68 ohms at 338 Hz and a phase angle of –50.34 degrees at 213 Hz.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/definitive-technology-bp-8060st-speaker-system-review-test-bench#KDU3XppAI0zIFela.99"

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are you doing for REAL subs? :p

Buy the 8060 and spend that extra $1k on a big boy sub-woofer!:):):)

Even better, stick with the 9020 and buy a PAIR of big boy subs!

Seriously, those built in DT subs cannot compete with a real sub. They are fine for almost all types of music, except maybe some of the deepest digging hiphop, but for movies, you will NEED a sub-woofer.

For reference, I run a pair of GE T2 (they share a heritage with DT, and they also have the built in powered "subs"), but I run mine with a Rythmik F15HP.
@Steven Barnett
I forgot to mention that.

DO NOT TRUST DT PUBLISHED FR!

It is completely bogus. If you think you are getting deep bass due to the DT marketing, then they got one over on you. Only trust 3rd party measurements.
The built in "subs" are good to around 35hz. Like others have said, get the 8060s and put the savings towards a real sub.

From Sound and Vision- the 9060 will be the same.
"
The BP-8060ST’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.66/–2.26 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 39 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 36 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.68 ohms at 338 Hz and a phase angle of –50.34 degrees at 213 Hz.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/definitive-technology-bp-8060st-speaker-system-review-test-bench#KDU3XppAI0zIFela.99"
Yep. All this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another advantage to a real sub is it can be positioned separately from your mains, which is a good thing for most rooms. I'd not call those bass modules in the speakers as "subs", especially not DT (who doesn't even make a good separate sub).

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
Okay okay so I have a really good deal on these 8060s from a friend and they've never been used. So I just wanted to make sure and ask you guys, with your knowledge in this area, are the 8060s better speakers than the 9020s? Are they comparable to the 9060s? if so I'll buy them right now then go look at subs :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another advantage to a real sub is it can be positioned separately from your mains, which is a good thing for most rooms.
I thought most rooms are usually small with limited placement options?

A lot of people don’t want a subwoofer just because they are limited in placement options.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Okay okay so I have a really good deal on these 8060s from a friend and they've never been used. So I just wanted to make sure and ask you guys, with your knowledge in this area, are the 8060s better speakers than the 9020s? Are they comparable to the 9060s? if so I'll buy them right now then go look at subs :)
You are just about splitting hairs here, plus beating a dead horse. And, if you had a real sub-woofer already, then the answer to your questions would be simple: keep what you have and enjoy it.

If you had a real sub, then you likely will not notice any significant difference among all these speakers.

Since you don't have a real sub, you will be able to dig a bit deeper with 8060 or the 9060.

Again, your best approach is to KEEP THE 9020 AND ADD A REAL SUB-WOOFER (or 2) with the $ that you are trying to spend for a lateral movement (not much of an upgrade moving to the 8060).

But hey, you say your friend is selling these, right?

So, bring the 8060 into YOUR room and YOU listen to them side-by-side in your room against your 9020, then you can report back to us if the 8060 is a superior speaker to the 9020.

D

Derrick Keller

Audiophyte
I have two bp 9060 in the front stage and bp 9020 as my surrounds, in a 2500 cubic foot room the bass from these speakers is enough to shake the windows. The 9060 do dig significantly deeper then the 9020, saying that there is still a hole below 35 hz. Current buying my time till I can order my sub.

Last edited:
S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
I got the 8060s and they are awesome, great decision. The lows are noticeably lower. Now I'm onto buying a sub and surround speakers. are the definitive technology 600s good for surround? and what about a sub I'm looking for a monster.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How low do you want to spend? SVS 2000? Well the sb2000 is ok for a smaller room but definitely not a monster. The pb2000 is a much better choice of the two.

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
my room is pretty small, I'm looking at only used subs for under $500. Also are surround speakers usually used for music or just movies? I'm wondering if they can be used in conjuction with the 8060s for music or if it would just sound weird

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
my room is pretty small, I'm looking at only used subs for under $500. Also are surround speakers usually used for music or just movies? I'm wondering if they can be used in conjuction with the 8060s for music or if it would just sound weird
Kinda depends. Some like music in surround and some don’t. For me, it depends on the music. NIN and electronic stuff, I do like in surround. Other music, I like in 2ch. Like how it was mastered in the booth. Very rarely in Direct mode(subs and Audyssey off). There is music mastered in 5.1. That’s pretty cool. Otherwise it’s pro logicII.

S

Steven Barnett

Audiophyte
Kinda depends. Some like music in surround and some don’t. For me, it depends on the music. NIN and electronic stuff, I do like in surround. Other music, I like in 2ch. Like how it was mastered in the booth. Very rarely in Direct mode(subs and Audyssey off). There is music mastered in 5.1. That’s pretty cool. Otherwise it’s pro logicII.
Gotcha yeah I'm a huge electronic music guy so I think they will be nice. You have anything to say about the def tech cinema 600 surrounds?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha yeah I'm a huge electronic music guy so I think they will be nice. You have anything to say about the def tech cinema 600 surrounds?
It’s definitely fun. A lot of electronic stuff has sounds that aren’t usually in “normal” music so it’s different.
Wish I could say about the 600’s. Just don’t have any experience with them. Fwiw, I’m a nerd for surround speaker placement and also disagree when people say you can skimp there. If there IS a place to skimp, that is one, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. Budget is budget too though...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis