Speaker Recommendations

B

BigBallin

Enthusiast
I am a relative beginner and want some advice on what speakers I should consider buying. I am moving soon so don’t have any room dimensions but would intend to put them in the family room to serve as speakers for my tv and for music. I want big, powerful sound but also want a speaker that can also do background music. I listen to fairly generic music like country, hip-hop and occasionally jazz. I will also use the speakers to watch sports and movies. Being in the living room a beautiful look is desirable!

Speakers I have on my list are the Polk RTI A5, Fluance Signature Series, R55ti.

I will power them with an Onkyo 608.

Budget around 700 for both speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
R55Ti speakers are discontinued, last I heard. As for Polk vs Fluance, I would go with the Signature speakers. They will have much more powerful bass than the Polks, which is good if you aren't going to be using a sub.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
S

Shawnb

Enthusiast
I'd also look at the kef q300, you can get a pair now for 399 at accessories for less. They are pretty amazing, I returned my deftech sm65 for them, they are much more detailed and have adequate bass. Also the canton chrono are in that price range as well on a4l, and they sound pretty great too. I'd definitely move the fluance off the list.

S

Shawnb

Enthusiast
On reflection, if sound is your main priority, I'd have the chane 2.4 or the Philharmonic affordable accuracy monitors at the top of the list. If you need something that is gorgeous and also sounds good I'd check out the htd level 3. But for me, I do love my kefs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis