A soundbar with 2 subwoofers?

J

Justmy002

Enthusiast
Seems rather unconventional from a company we all used to know. Just saw from another forum that Nakamichi has released a 9.2 soundbar that comes with 2 10-inch subwoofers. www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder

While I am having 2nd thoughts about the brand because it is not the Nakamichi that we all know from back in the days, the 9.2 soundbar does seem to be quite a killer. I used to own 2 SVS subwoofers before I shifted, so I do know the difference a second subwoofer can bring.

What do you guys think?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Seems rather unconventional from a company we all used to know. Just saw from another forum that Nakamichi has released a 9.2 soundbar that comes with 2 10-inch subwoofers. www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder

While I am having 2nd thoughts about the brand because it is not the Nakamichi that we all know from back in the days, the 9.2 soundbar does seem to be quite a killer. I used to own 2 SVS subwoofers before I shifted, so I do know the difference a second subwoofer can bring.

What do you guys think?
Compared to tv speakers it seems to be above the Samsungs, LGs, Vizio, etc. Like any soundbar it's a compromise. I might consider a SB for a guesst room. I've only heard one SB that left me feeling somewhat impressed, the Martin Logan vision(no object based or HD audio) with two SVS SB2000s in a smaller room (roughly 12x17). For the price of any premium SB, I'd rather have a 2.x setup instead.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

What do you guys think?
That new NAK outfit makes the very worst type of junk. It should be renamed "Fast Blow."

B

BassMaster

Audiophyte
That new NAK outfit makes the very worst type of junk. It should be renamed "Fast Blow."
Your system is definitely a wow and will cost me a divorce. For an average joe like myself, a good soundbar is a much better alternative.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your system is definitely a wow and will cost me a divorce. For an average joe like myself, a good soundbar is a much better alternative.
Yes, but there are better sound bars than NAK. Try Yamaha for a start.

As far as my systems are concerned my wife loves them, the two here and Eagan. She would not be without them. Women just need convincing of the benefits.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Exactly!
Whoever now owns rights to the name has started selling whole crap.
It looks tempting (good price and often some stand out specs... like 2 subs), and if you think of Nakamichi as the quality company it once was, you might think you have a real "find", but if you can find some reviews, you will see many failures and didn't sound very good to start with, and poor after-sales support!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I hadn't paid attention to this brand for quite a while but I didn't realize it had been revived at all...good to know that its crap now.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I have not heard of Nakamichi since it was mentioned on Method Man & Redman album "Blackout" that was released over 18 years ago. hah

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Best I figure it, Mr. Nakamichi offended the Yakuza and was forced to watch as they shot his dog, raped his daughters, and then, to make certain they totally destroyed him, employed someone to take over and milk/destroy his honorable company/name.
The new Nakamichi products really are that bad!
Just sayin'

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Best I figure it, Mr. Nakamichi offended the Yakuza and was forced to watch as they shot his dog, raped his daughters, and then, to make certain they totally destroyed him, employed someone to take over and milk/destroy his honorable company/name.
The new Nakamichi products really are that bad!
Just sayin'
I entirely agree with you.

I had bought some of that Nakamichi brand of right-angled banana plugs to connect surround speakers.

They are so cheaply made. They came apart easily just by manipulating them without any rough handling. I discarded them all and I just connected the wires direct to the speaker terminals.

Cheers,

J

Justmy002

Enthusiast
Was looking through and Tony Leotta from Audioholics actually did a preview of it earlier this year: http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-and-satellite-speaker-reviews/nakamichi-shockwafe-9.2-soundbar

Honestly quite surprised he had a positive impression of the prototype he listened to.

Anyhow, by looking purely at the specs and all the components (soundbar, 2 subs, 4 rears), I thought the $1099 price tag is very reasonable. Considering Tony's opinion of the 9.2 bar, I decided to preorder a unit to go with my new LG 55" HDTV. I'll share my experience when I receive it next month. Honestly still very skeptical but I hope the brand proves me wrong.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Was looking through and Tony Leotta from Audioholics actually did a preview of it earlier this year: http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-and-satellite-speaker-reviews/nakamichi-shockwafe-9.2-soundbar

Honestly quite surprised he had a positive impression of the prototype he listened to.

Anyhow, by looking purely at the specs and all the components (soundbar, 2 subs, 4 rears), I thought the $1099 price tag is very reasonable. Considering Tony's opinion of the 9.2 bar, I decided to preorder a unit to go with my new LG 55" HDTV. I'll share my experience when I receive it next month. Honestly still very skeptical but I hope the brand proves me wrong.
Just remember that junk purchases are the most expensive!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Are you sure he actually listened to it?
I think this article is mostly a regurgitation of Nak's ad copy.
Dual subs is interesting feature for sound bar.
One concern I have is I could not find weights! While weight doesn't necessarily indicate quality, an extreme lack of weight is a concern. Not publishing weight with spec's makes me Suspicious!
It would be good to know the weight of the subwoofers. Did you find this info anywhere.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Lol... are you saying that all your equipment is junk?
Well if you look at my expenditures over time, I think I have had excellent value for money. I do value quality. I have items in regular use here over half a century old. Quite a bit more is approaching the half century.

When I see someone seriously considering spending 1K on that NAk soundbar, I see the fool easily parted from his money.

My gear rates extremely high on the cost per year of service rating. That is how you should look at the cost of purchases. People don't, and consumer debt continues to rise.

J

Justmy002

Enthusiast
Are you sure he actually listened to it?
I think this article is mostly a regurgitation of Nak's ad copy.
Dual subs is interesting feature for sound bar.
One concern I have is I could not find weights! While weight doesn't necessarily indicate quality, an extreme lack of weight is a concern. Not publishing weight with spec's makes me Suspicious!
It would be good to know the weight of the subwoofers. Did you find this info anywhere.
They just replied me on Facebook. Each of the subwoofer weighs 25.6lbs.

I also asked them what are the subwoofer dimensions since that affects the amount of air that can move inside, which is an indication of headroom and how deep and loud it can go. Subwoofer dimensions = 13 x 11 x 20.5 inches. Pretty big I'd say.

Well if you look at my expenditures over time, I think I have had excellent value for money. I do value quality. I have items in regular use here over half a century old. Quite a bit more is approaching the half century.

When I see someone seriously considering spending 1K on that NAk soundbar, I see the fool easily parted from his money.

My gear rates extremely high on the cost per year of service rating. That is how you should look at the cost of purchases. People don't, and consumer debt continues to rise.
Relax buddy, I was just joking. Your equipment is amazing :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They just replied me on Facebook. Each of the subwoofer weighs 25.6lbs.

I also asked them what are the subwoofer dimensions since that affects the amount of air that can move inside, which is an indication of headroom and how deep and loud it can go. Subwoofer dimensions = 13 x 11 x 20.5 inches. Pretty big I'd say.
Interesting. Those are reasonable numbers.
Maybe they are getting better.
Keep us posted!

J

Justmy002

Enthusiast
Interesting. Those are reasonable numbers.
Maybe they are getting better.
Keep us posted!
Found some live footage of the 9.2 sound bar taken back in jan, CES 2017 this year. Pretty sure the company demo-ed a prototype because the subwoofers in that video look smaller and different from the ones in the current product images. It is only detailed video I can find on the internet so far. The guy sounded quite amazed though. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis