2 Klipsch sets - is the performance worth the extra price?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Thank you all for your really detailed responses. I'm learning on the fly so everything is helpful.

Do you all think I'm jumping the gun trying to determine my equipment before I've even gotten my room ready?

The setup will be in a basement. I close on the house tomorrow but I'd obviously need to construct a room. But I'm not sure of what my limitations are down there until my buddy comes to see how it looks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you all for your really detailed responses. I'm learning on the fly so everything is helpful.

Do you all think I'm jumping the gun trying to determine my equipment before I've even gotten my room ready?

The setup will be in a basement. I close on the house tomorrow but I'd obviously need to construct a room. But I'm not sure of what my limitations are down there until my buddy comes to see how it looks.

If your going use a buddy for advise, remember they tend to talk about what they like, which might be different than you. I'd talk generalization like equipment location, future proofing etc. IMHO if you have a capable sub/subs, you really don't need towers. The RBH series mentioned is a good value and sound good as do the jbl, SVS, etc. Another to consider is the monoprice kbass speaker for the front 3. So many options so many options... once you have the seating distance from the mains, and the total volume for the room; more detailed answers will come.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
After I get moved in and get my basement dimensions, I'll post a better thread. I guess the confusing part for me is what's the best speakers for a 5 channel setup. Factoring in price limitations, I thought it was 2 floor speakers for the front left and right, and center and two satellites for the rear. If I am wrong on that please let me know so I can start looking at the preferred style of speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
After I get moved in and get my basement dimensions, I'll post a better thread. I guess the confusing part for me is what's the best speakers for a 5 channel setup. Factoring in price limitations, I thought it was 2 floor speakers for the front left and right, and center and two satellites for the rear. If I am wrong on that please let me know so I can start looking at the preferred style of speakers.

What speaker brands are near you to audition? Based on what you like, we can recommend others with similar sound signatures. I prefer a flat speaker response with a gradual roll off of the highs past 10khz. I run my bass a little hot for certain movies, but never for music unless it's a GTG. If your looking to upgrade after a year or two, it's the front 3 and sub /s that make the differences. Personally I like the JBL studio and RBH if it were my first system, though there are others that are great like the philharmonic audio AA speakers. Just listen to all you can and listen just to the left and right speakers only to start and with very simple music like the female vocal and piano as we know how that should sound. Chesky Records has a nice demo cd that tells you what to listen for in each song. The problem with comparing is humans have a horrible auditory memory so take your time

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I agree with Everett on having a nice flat response. "Flat" sounds bad, but it's not. It just means it will accurately reproduce sound.

As to which speakers are best, it's so subjective that it's hard to suggest with so many good options out there without an idea of what you prefer (warm, bright, loud, accurate, etc.). Is that ~$2000 budget for all of your speakers and a sub?

*Edit: You don't have to get towers for the front. There are some very nice bookshelf speakers and you can get better quality for the same money. If you get a sub(s), towers don't add a whole lot.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I agree with Everett on having a nice flat response. "Flat" sounds bad, but it's not. It just means it will accurately reproduce sound.

As to which speakers are best, it's so subjective that it's hard to suggest with so many good options out there. Is that ~$2000 budget for all of your speakers and a sub?
I envisioned buying a set so I thought that $2,000 cap might be good. I'm new to this and I'm closing on my house tomorrow so money is fickle. But that was my original plan. Ultimately I didn't want to box myself into a firm price because I don't know if it's best to for sure get higher quality fronts vs center and rears or high quality center and decent fronts and rears or what. Basically, I want to put most of my budget towards the most important part. Not sure if this makes sense or not

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I envisioned buying a set so I thought that $2,000 cap might be good. I'm new to this and I'm closing on my house tomorrow so money is fickle. But that was my original plan. Ultimately I didn't want to box myself into a firm price because I don't know if it's best to for sure get higher quality fronts vs center and rears or high quality center and decent fronts and rears or what. Basically, I want to put most of my budget towards the most important part. Not sure if this makes sense or not

Lol.

A set of 2, or 6 piece set for everything? I edited in a line in my last post too.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Lol.

A set of 2, or 6 piece set for everything? I edited in a line in my last post too.
I'll try again. As someone with no idea of how to buy speakers, I set a generic cap of $2,000. What I'm trying to determine is if people usually allocate their budget based on speaker type. By this I mean if a certain speaker is deemed the most important speaker they might designate 60% of their budget toward that speaker(s) and buy the best speakers (of the remaining ones they need to buy) they can afford to with the rest of their money...if that makes sense.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
What speaker brands are near you to audition? Based on what you like, we can recommend others with similar sound signatures. I prefer a flat speaker response with a gradual roll off of the highs past 10khz. I run my bass a little hot for certain movies, but never for music unless it's a GTG. If your looking to upgrade after a year or two, it's the front 3 and sub /s that make the differences. Personally I like the JBL studio and RBH if it were my first system, though there are others that are great like the philharmonic audio AA speakers. Just listen to all you can and listen just to the left and right speakers only to start and with very simple music like the female vocal and piano as we know how that should sound. Chesky Records has a nice demo cd that tells you what to listen for in each song. The problem with comparing is humans have a horrible auditory memory so take your time
Pretty much just what Best Buy would have and Klipsch (at Flanners). Actually I need to go back to Flanners to see what else they have, but I didn't recall seeing a lot.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll try again. As someone with no idea of how to buy speakers, I set a generic cap of $2,000. What I'm trying to determine is if people usually allocate their budget based on speaker type. By this I mean if a certain speaker is deemed the most important speaker they might designate 60% of their budget toward that speaker(s) and buy the best speakers (of the remaining ones they need to buy) they can afford to with the rest of their money...if that makes sense.

So $2000 for all of your speakers including a sub or 2?

You definitely want to devote the bulk of your budget to speakers. The front 3 (l/c/r) and subwoofer are the most important with surrounds being negotiable. It's nice to have them match, but not absolutely necessary. The subwoofer does not have to be matching at all. I would say roughly 2/3 or more of your budget should go into the speakers. The rest on electronics and interconnects. Depending on whether or not you're buying just the front 2 and a sub for now, or buying all 5 speakers and sub at once will help a lot for suggestions.

I will say $2000 is a pretty lean budget for everything you'll need for a good 5.1 setup. Not impossible, but it's tight.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
So $2000 for all of your speakers including a sub or 2?

You definitely want to devote the bulk of your budget to speakers. The front 3 (l/c/r) and subwoofer are the most important with surrounds being negotiable. It's nice to have them match, but not absolutely necessary. The subwoofer does not have to be matching at all. I would say roughly 2/3 or more of your budget should go into the speakers. The rest on electronics and interconnects. Depending on whether or not you're buying just the front 2 and a sub for now, or buying all 5 speakers and sub at once will help a lot for suggestions.

I will say $2000 is a pretty lean budget for everything you'll need for a good 5.1 setup. Not impossible, but it's tight.
Thanks for this information. Just so I'm clear, 2/3 on the L/C/R only right (excluding surrounds) or all of them?

Just to be on the same page, does your guidance include or exclude buying an AVR? It looks like I'll need to increase my budget overall which is fine...I just want to make sure I allocate my funds in the best way possible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for this information. Just so I'm clear, 2/3 on the L/C/R only right (excluding surrounds) or all of them?

Just to be on the same page, does your guidance include or exclude buying an AVR? It looks like I'll need to increase my budget overall which is fine...I just want to make sure I allocate my funds in the best way possible.

That's what I've been asking you. Is $2000 for EVERYTHING, 5.1 speakers, or 2.1 speakers..?

I meant to say 2/3 of your total budget should go toward speakers with special consideration for the front 3.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
That's what I've been asking you. Is $2000 for EVERYTHING, 5.1 speakers, or 2.1 speakers..?
Just the 5.1 speakers. Sorry.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just the 5.1 speakers. Sorry.

Phew. :p

Whatever your total budget is for everything, 2/3 of it should go toward all of your speakers and a sub or 2 with some special consideration for the front 3 speakers and subwoofer. You don't want to skimp on the sub.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Phew.

Whatever your total budget is for everything, 2/3 of it should go toward all of your speakers and a sub or 2 with some special consideration for the front 3 speakers and subwoofer. You don't want to skimp on the sub.
Thanks! I almost messed up and put most of my money on my AVR. I was also going to buy that first.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! I almost messed up and put most of my money on my AVR. I was also going to buy that first.

Like @everettT said, spend as much as you can on speakers then buy the electronics you'll need for them. Hit us up here for avr/amp suggestions too.

For your budget, I really like ADTG's RBH suggestion on the first page. I've heard nothing but good about them. I really like SVS' Ultra line, but they're in a different budget bracket.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Like @everettT said, spend as much as you can on speakers then buy the electronics you'll need for them. Hit us up here for avr/amp suggestions too.

For your budget, I really like ADTG's RBH suggestion on the first page. I've heard nothing but good about them. I really like SVS' Ultra line, but they're in a different budget bracket.
I'm definitely going to look at them! Thanks!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis