Sub at -12db after Audyssey

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Turn your gain down on the back of your sub until Audyssey sets it to -7, -8, -9... as long as you're not still getting -12. You're reporting boomy bass and your receiver has trimmed the levels as much as it can.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Had a tricky time getting specs for this sub. Anyway, it's a low power ported 9" with a port on the bottom so it shouldn't be hard to tame. The frequency response I found listed though from 35hz on up. Based on that and a typical "bump" in the response that's built in to many smaller subs I will guess it will always sound a little boomy. However some quick reading of reviews made it seem like that wasn't so much a problem. Get the level and placement right and then see.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's strange. I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and it asks me to set the gain so the sub is in the 75db range before it does any measurements. For me, that is at 1/4 of the max gain. Every time I've run audyssey like this it sets my sub trim at -6db.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's strange. I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and it asks me to set the gain so the sub is in the 75db range before it does any measurements. For me, that is at 1/4 of the max gain. Every time I've run audyssey like this it sets my sub trim at -6db.
Yeah, I'm surprised his didn't ask for 75db too. Too many factors involved to use any arbitrary numbers. Curious where he ends up. Btw, NIN artist shuffle on Spotify currently.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did he mention which receiver he had? My X1200W had XT, but it wouldn't set sub levels. I think you need XT32 for that. My SR6011 does it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did he mention which receiver he had? My X1200W had XT, but it wouldn't set sub levels. I think you need XT32 for that. My SR6011 does it.
Even my older 808 Onkyo sets the sub level. Not EQ though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My old Onkyo with XT (RC370) lets you set sub levels prior to running Audyssey. I think it depends on the specific implementation by the avr manufacturer, as with other things Audyssey, probably lower models get less features/flexibility?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even my older 808 Onkyo sets the sub level. Not EQ though.
Well, look who's Mr. Quotey McQuote now! :p

I might have misunderstood. All of my receivers have set a trim level, but only my 6011 (XT32) has had me adjust the gain on the subs if they're a little hot. My Denons would let me know by setting the trim level to -12. I would dial back the sub gain until it trimmed them to -9 or so. Mine are both around 1/4 gain right now. I think op said he had it at 1/2?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My old Onkyo with XT (RC370) lets you set sub levels prior to running Audyssey. I think it depends on the specific implementation by the avr manufacturer, as with other things Audyssey, probably lower models get less features/flexibility?
That's my guess. I posted above what I did when it didn't have me set sub levels before Audyssey.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, look who's Mr. Quotey McQuote now! :p

I might have misunderstood. All of my receivers have set a trim level, but only my 6011 (XT32) has had me adjust the gain on the subs if they're a little hot. My Denons would let me know by setting the trim level to -12. I would dial back the sub gain until it trimmed them to -9 or so. Mine are both around 1/4 gain right now. I think op said he had it at 1/2?
That's quotey quoterton to you mr!!!!! Lol

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Ok, so I had to run Audyssey about 4 times which means this thread is now 15 years old. But to anyone who followed this, I managed to get the sub level to about -7.5 and I had to set the volume knob to about the 8 o'clock position which is about 16% of the max I think.

The bass is far more acceptable now. So I'll watch a few more movies and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your input.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, so I had to run Audyssey about 4 times which means this thread is now 15 years old. But to anyone who followed this, I managed to get the sub level to about -7.5 and I had to set the volume knob to about the 8 o'clock position which is about 16% of the max I think.

The bass is far more acceptable now. So I'll watch a few more movies and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your input.
Lol. That's why I turned 50....
Interested to see what you think now, after a couple movies.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
If we're using an SPL meter for test tunes, do we calibrate to 75 db at whatever receiver volume, or 85 db at 0 db on the receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If we're using an SPL meter for test tunes, do we calibrate to 75 db at whatever receiver volume, or 85 db at 0 db on the receiver?
75dB with fixed test tones for most avrs I believe...which is generally 30dB down from peak ref level of 105dB (0 on relative volume scale if avr has such).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
75dB with fixed test tones for most avrs I believe...which is generally 30dB down from peak ref level of 105dB (0 on relative volume scale if avr has such).
Yeah this. Iirc, 85 used to be the number but the consensus was that it was too loud so auto test tones were set to output at 75 when measured. For the question roen is asking, either will work as long as they're all set the same.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Is it 75 DB at 0 on the receiver or 75 DB at whatever setting on the receiver when using test tones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it 75 DB at 0 on the receiver or 75 DB at whatever setting on the receiver when using test tones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With my avrs the master volume control does not matter during test tones, it is preset to the -30dB level from peak.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I ended up using YPAO, and playing around with the gain until I got it to set at -5.0. That was about a little north of 9 o'clock. It turned out that was a little less bass for my liking, so I adjusted the gain back up to a little before 12, keeping the receiver settings as per YPAO.

Strangely, YPAO set my front speakers to large with crossover set at 40 Hz., even though a sub was present. I have a 2.1 system at the moment. I had to switch my speakers back to small and my crossover back up to 90 Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis