Sub at -12db after Audyssey

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Hi folks,

I have a Dali Zensor 5.1.2 setup with an E-9F sub. The room is small and square 12' x 12' x 7.5' which I understand isn't ideal. However, it is a dedicated room so I have the options to place everything in the best place possible.

I have run Audyssey and think everything is generally pretty good. The only thing bugging me is the sub. I set all the crossovers to 80Hz and the speakers are set at 'small'. I set the bass volume at 12 o'clock and the crossover knob to max. After running Audyssey the sub had a level setting of -12db (the other speakers were around -7.5ish).

I understand this is the max which means the sub vol is too loud. I reduced it about a third and run it again and got the same result.

Being new to HT, I'm not absolutely sure how good bass is supposed to sound. To me it just sounds bassy.

It is in the corner along the front about 1' away from each wall, so i might try the bass crawl thing. Do I need to set the volume lower still until I get an acceptable reading after Audyssey.

Thanks in advance, these forums and Genes videos have been invaluable.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How does it sound to you, I'm not sure what's Bassey sounds like. With the sub gain at 12 o'clock, -12 doesn't sound far fetched. Most set the sub at 10 o'clock.

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Hi,

It sounds quite boomy, but then again I'm not really used to having much bass in the room so I might need to just get used to it.

There doesn't seem to be much detail in the bass, it just sounds like a bass throb surges up as and when a movie soundtrack dictates.

I read that -12 means the EQ is attempting to bring the level down but at -12 the AVR is maxing out and is a sign that the initial volume is set too high.

The last time I ran Audyssey I set the vol at 10 O'clock and it still gave a -12 reading so I was wondering if there was another issue I had overlooked.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
One inch away from each wall in the corner of a room sounds too close to me. I would try moving it out of the corner some more (maybe 9" on each side) and seeing if the measurements and sound improve.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I can't figure out how Auto-calibration sets this and does things, I just go with it because it sounds great. I have YAPO Yamaha and it does a good job I think. As long as it sounds balanced I'm good. I'm not too picky.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
One inch away from each wall in the corner of a room sounds too close to me. I would try moving it out of the corner some more (maybe 9" on each side) and seeing if the measurements and sound improve.
It is 1 ft away from the two walls, so I think the placement is good.
I can't figure out how Auto-calibration sets this and does things, I just go with it because it sounds great. I have YAPO Yamaha and it does a good job I think. As long as it sounds balanced I'm good. I'm not too picky.

It does sound good, but I just want to make sure there isn't something obvious to you guys that could be better.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

It does sound good, but I just want to make sure there isn't something obvious to you guys that could be better.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something.
Oh yeah and good to do that. I have a SVS PB-1000 and it's not boomy at all. Just the opposite I'd say. Very nice, tight bass but not overwhelming. I don't like too much bass, just the right amount for me. I hate boomy bass. Some people around here like more bass, or as much bass as they can get. That's not my theory, just enough is my theory. That being said I want a second PB-1000 to smooth out the response.

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Oh yeah and good to do that. I have a SVS PB-1000 and it's not boomy at all. Just the opposite I'd say. Very nice, tight bass but not overwhelming. I don't like too much bass, just the right amount for me. I hate boomy bass. Some people around here like more bass, or as much bass as they can get. That's not my theory, just enough is my theory. That being said I want a second PB-1000 to smooth out the response.

Exactly, I think I could live without as much bass, it seems overbearing when it kicks in.

Would it be wise to reduce the volume of the sub after running Audyssey or would that screw up the overall balance.

The other option I suppose would be to set it lower initially and then EQ again but everything else just sounds so good, I didn't want to mess too much.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly, I think I could live without as much bass, it seems overbearing when it kicks in.

Would it be wise to reduce the volume of the sub after running Audyssey or would that screw up the overall balance.

The other option I suppose would be to set it lower initially and then EQ again but everything else just sounds so good, I didn't want to mess too much.
No that wouldn't mess up the balance. Bass is a funny thing, it's all trial and error and taste. It takes a good while to get it just right for you. Mine took a while, then I had to Auto-calibration again and messed up the bass. I had to start all over again. Just trial and error, what works for you. It's all good, it's all fun.

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
I guess no magic formula then.

I'll just have a fiddle around then and try and find something I really like and hopefully learn something about it along the way.

Thanks for all the replies.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I guess no magic formula then.

I'll just have a fiddle around then and try and find something I really like and hopefully learn something about it along the way.

Thanks for all the replies.
Yup, you got it. There's no right or wrong answer.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Joe B said:

Sorry I miss read your post.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's a pretty small room. First thing is keep turning the gain down on the sub and rerun Audyssey until it's closer to -5ish. Second is, that sub could just be a boomy one note wonder. I don't think Dali is known for deep linear subwoofers. They're definitely not created equally. So a boomy sub that's too hot will absolutely not sound good. I always recommend an spl meter too. Then you don't have to run audyssey every time you want to trim levels and it's more accurate than just using the trim numbers in the avr(which can be pretty good). Just keep turning down the subs gain until it's better and try again.
Oh yeah. When you start audyssey and it says set sub volume to 75 can you get it to say that?

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Joe B said:

Sorry I miss read your post.
No worries, cheers.
That's a pretty small room. First thing is keep turning the gain down on the sub and rerun Audyssey until it's closer to -5ish. Second is, that sub could just be a boomy one note wonder. I don't think Dali is known for deep linear subwoofers. They're definitely not created equally. So a boomy sub that's too hot will absolutely not sound good. I always recommend an spl meter too. Then you don't have to run audyssey every time you want to trim levels and it's more accurate than just using the trim numbers in the avr(which can be pretty good). Just keep turning down the subs gain until it's better and try again.
Oh yeah. When you start audyssey and it says set sub volume to 75 can you get it to say that?
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what you mean at the end with set volume to 75. Audyssey says set it to 12 O'clock. Do you mean 75% or -75db?

Thanks again.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
With my audyssey setup it asks me to adjust the gain on the sub until it is playing near 75db before it takes the measurements. I believe that is what lemmer is referring to.

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Oh ok. No, it just says set it to 12. But I will re-run later and check and try to get it closer to -5ish.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. What NIN said.
Can't believe it says 12oclock. That's a little arbitrary imo. If it's setting the level at -12 you might start with the gain at 0 on the sub. It might be a lot closer than starting on the other end.

A

AgentX

Enthusiast
Definitely gonna check this later and then I'll report back.

The receiver is a Denon AVR-X2300. I've done a bit more research and looks like you are spot on. Various people have had to turn the sub volume as low as just 15% to get the level acceptable.

I'll do it and then post the findings later.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis