4-inch speaker wood, and specs recommendation

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
Hello, I purchased nvx vsp4 speaker series. I would like to build a box for them but I cannot find the specs for a box they will sound good in. What kind of wood and what dimension will these speakers you guys think will sound good. I'm not looking for heavy hitting bass. looking for more of a thump, but if I can get some bass out of them sure why not. Some customer on amazon said he used these specs for the speakers. "I used these to make a bluetooth speaker box. Put them in a Mahogany box with Maple end caps. Box volume is .3 cubic feet, divide into two chambers of ~.13cu/ft with 3" long 1" ports, effectively tuning it to ~40hz. recommendation

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What you wish to accomplish with them? And how you plan to use them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, is this for car/truck or home or ?

The manufacturer doesn't have the T/S (Thiele Small) parameters for box design or even any box suggestions? There are various software programs for box and port design, have you looked into any?

Usually you would use mdf (medium density fiberboard) or void-free plywood rather than solid woods for speaker boxes.

Also this sort of project would normally belong in the DIY subforum....

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
Yes, is this for car/truck or home or ?

The manufacturer doesn't have the T/S (Thiele Small) parameters for box design or even any box suggestions? There are various software programs for box and port design, have you looked into any?

Usually, you would use mdf (medium density fiberboard) or void-free plywood rather than solid woods for speaker boxes.

Also, this sort of project would normally belong in the DIY subforum....
i have it inside a cheap box i bought at family dollar which already had blue tooth speakers in them but i wanted something better. so i bought those speakers and put them into the box and used a different sound board. they sound ok in the box very loud but it's too thin you can hear all the mids and low bass coming out of the wood. i have not looked for software. i dont know where to start, i have seen some in the past but seen quite a few. dont know which would match my needs. any u recommend?

i thought about mdf but, i thought it was for subs like 8 inch and above because how powerful they can be.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I build my speakers and subs with plywood because I don't want to deal with mdf dust, plus its a bit lighter but mdf has very good properties for a speaker box. Here's an article on materials for speaker building https://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Practical-guide/Cabinet-materials/10101,en

Something like winisd is fairly popular if you want to get into the specifics of box design, but you'll need the T/S parameters, but there are other freeware versions, just search for speaker design software.

Did you get the T/S parameters from the driver's manufacturer? Did you get any box recommendations from the driver's manufacturer?

What do you mean by "sound board"?

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
I build my speakers and subs with plywood because I don't want to deal with mdf dust, plus its a bit lighter but mdf has very good properties for a speaker box. Here's an article on materials for speaker building https://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Practical-guide/Cabinet-materials/10101,en

Something like winisd is fairly popular if you want to get into the specifics of box design, but you'll need the T/S parameters, but there are other freeware versions, just search for speaker design software.

Did you get the T/S parameters from the driver's manufacturer? Did you get any box recommendations from the driver's manufacturer?

What do you mean by "sound board"?

thanks for the link, i haven't gotten anything from the manufacturer. i meant blue tooth soundboard instead the soundboard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for the link, i haven't gotten anything from the manufacturer. i meant blue tooth soundboard instead the soundboard.
Ah, wasn't sure if you meant a crossover or even the baffle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BTW the usual approach to building a speaker without designing a specific enclosure/crossover yourself is to follow someone else's proven design based on a particular driver. As I mentioned before, if you can find the T/S parameters you might find someone here would model something for you, but....

A good place to check stuff like that out, both for kits and supplies and building information is parts-express.com.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
So that is really a speaker for a car door. It is not a domestic driver. So that speaker will roll off just above 100 Hz what ever you do.
yeah its a car door speaker, but i hear potential out of these speakers. With the right box, the will sound pretty good. i work at a laundry matt, and i put these small speakers that are in a cheap box inside a washer and i hear awesome bass coming from those 2 tiny speakers. outside just some thumping.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
yeah its a car door speaker, but i hear potential out of these speakers. With the right box, the will sound pretty good. i work at a laundry matt, and i put these small speakers that are in a cheap box inside a washer and i hear awesome bass coming from those 2 tiny speakers. outside just some thumping.
Well you can't fight physics. The lowest note you will ever get without rolloff form that speaker is north of 100 Hz no matter what box you put it in. The Fs absolutely puts a line under the low end frequency response. You can think what you want, but you will be wrong.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The OP would be better off building a boom box out of the Overnight Sensation kit, or something like that.

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
Well you can't fight physics. The lowest note you will ever get without rolloff form that speaker is north of 100 Hz no matter what box you put it in. The Fs absolutely puts a line under the low end frequency response. You can think what you want, but you will be wrong.
You said thats physics and u dont think putting those speaker's in a better box wont make them sound better and yet I repeat my self you said physics. do you even know what u are saying? Please dont reply back. Heck forget u even saw this post please.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I get the feeling you (fpresiado) don't appreciate who here is offering you truth from their extensive experience and knowledge. I don't know (or care) how old you are but your reaction to being given facts you don't like seems....juvenile.

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
I get the feeling you (fpresiado) don't appreciate who here is offering you truth from their extensive experience and knowledge. I don't know (or care) how old you are but your reaction to being given facts you don't like seems....juvenile.

so you know everything about me, you think i don't appreciate other people knowledge . ok think what every you want. the person that commented that useless comment saying "Well you can't fight physics. The lowest note you will ever get without roll off form that speaker is north of 100 Hz no matter what box you put it in. The Fs absolutely puts a line under the low-end frequency response. You can think what you want, but you will be wrong." soo putting them in a box won't make them sound better and yet he said that's...you know what never mind. as i repeat to the other guy forget this post, please.

p.s. call me whatever you want, heck, even if you report me to admin, if i get banned its ok. i asked a simple question and got some back answers back which i appreciate what they told me but i didn't ask for that kind of comment which made no sense what so ever. thank you have a great day.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The feedback you got made complete, logical sense. It is you who seem offended because it's information beyond your level of understanding. Instead of saying you don't understand it you lash out. What class and grace you have.

To further expound upon this, I clearly stated that I don't know how old you are. I know nothing about you and like all others here, we can only go by what you write. It's apparent you didn't understand what was said, the meaning of it, and took it as criticism. For you to assail a long-term, highly respected and truly knowledgeable member of this community is an affront to us all.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis