" THX certified " how much stock do you put into this label ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch has/had THX Ultra2 speakers system - quite expensive, but from what I heard very competent.
M&K also has THX speakers, for example - V12 sub is THX Select certified
A sealed 12" sub with 300w rms amp and +/- 2db 20-200
Lets say sounds somewhat similar to SVS SB2000? - It does to me, except it's double the price of SB2000 !!
THX Select isn't that tough to achieve. The sub still has to have a linear response, and low distortion. Once you get to THX Ultra is where things get really demanding. And I doubt you will ever see a sub achieve the THX Dominus certification. The subwoofer than can do that would have to be pretty spectacular.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
THX Select isn't that tough to achieve. The sub still has to have a linear response, and low distortion. Once you get to THX Ultra is where things get really demanding. And I doubt you will ever see a sub achieve the THX Dominus certification. The subwoofer than can do that would have to be pretty spectacular.
appropriate snatch reference:
Or in other words - James - do you know something I don't as to what exactly THX Dominus cert requires or you just guessing here?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It would have added a lot of cost to speakers and we all spend a lot on them already.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
appropriate snatch reference:
Or in other words - James - do you know something I don't as to what exactly THX Dominus cert requires or you just guessing here?
Bored, think about THX Dominus this way: a single subwoofer has to pressurize a 6,500 cubic foot room in order to achieve 115 dB at a listening position 20 feet away from the screen, and it has to do so with extremely low distortion. That is an extremely tall order, and most commercial subs, even very powerful ones, do not have a prayer of achieving that.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
@BoredSysAdmin , Tapatalk isn't letting me quote you, but the article I linked to states 85dB with 20dB of headroom. So a peak spl of 105dB per channel. The subwoofer channel has 115dB of headroom. This level was originally established by THX and adopted by pretty much every film studio.

I do agree, the plethora of different levels of certification may be confusing to an average consumer, but it's easy to read the manual and find out which level of certification it has. For an integrated system, it should achieve reference levels without distortion at a seating distance of 8'. Why is that a useless spec? I suppose we will have to disagree on the value of a THX certification.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@BoredSysAdmin , Tapatalk isn't letting me quote you, but the article I linked to states 85dB with 20dB of headroom. ...
I didn't read that article but that 85 dB is used with a test tone of -20 dB FS level. It is just a setup procedure, not a headroom setting. At home listening to test tones during setup at 85 dB constant is very loud so a -30 dB FS is used and 75 db spl setting. Same thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis