Speaker components, drivers, crossover, cabinet costs question?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Good, the vertical dispersion pattern of these two-way bookshelf speakers are never pretty.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Good, the vertical dispersion pattern of these two-way bookshelf speakers are never pretty.
Yeah it was something I had in my head to try and so here I am. I wanted to try something a bit different so this is what I came up with. I'm a little nutty I know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
OK I see what he is saying. I have always considered Deftech to be fine for what they are, not great, but not bad either, but I only have a little bit of experience with a couple of their speakers. Didn't hear anything wrong at the time. Here are a few measurements: Stereophile, another Stereophile, and S&V. Soundstage has a handful too. Some measure well, others don't measure that great. I would say you can do worse than Deftech.

As for the value in terms of cost of components vs MSRP, I don't think that is quite the best way to look at it. The drivers and crossover components probably weren't very expensive parts, but to bring a speaker to market has a lot of other costs to consider. There is design work, assembly costs, marketing costs, storage fees, transportation, retail costs, and so on. Deftech has to keep their lights on and so do the stores that their speakers are sold at. This guy compares DT to JTR. Well, you can't walk in a store that is a 10 min drive away and buy a JTR product. Once you buy a JTR speaker, there is a wait while it is built. Outside of message boards and internet chatter, there is nothing to alert you to the fact that JTR even exists, since JTR's marketing budget is microscopic compared to DT's. As was mentioned, JTR makes just about zero concession to spouse approval factor. Deftech makes speakers that fit far more people's criteria than JTR. Yes, you get much higher quality components for the cost of the speaker with JTR, but the comparison between these two speaker brands is absurd.
Um yeah I have now checked out JTR from their website and a few videos on Youtube and like what the hell are they? First off they are just about the ugliest speakers I ever saw. Second they are just over the top overkill. If I had the money I would not touch those things with a 10 foot pole. That is what this guy compared Def Tech too? They aren't in the same realm and quite frankly I don't know who those things are made for, maybe some single dopey young kid with more money than they know what to do with? If I bought one of those I'd be divorced before I set them up. I mean they look like they are for pumping out rap music not nice clean HT movie sound. They just look overkill in every way.
Def Tech is in competition with many companies, SVS, Klipsch, Polk, PSB and many, many others but JTR is not one. No one that is buying Def Tech speakers is going to reverse and buy these awful looking speakers that no one is in the market for. I don't get why this guy mentioned them and DT in the same sentence.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
JTR speakers are made for dedicated theater rooms and situations like that. A lot of the time they go behind an acoustically transparent screen, so they aren't seen. They aren't intended to be in the middle of a living room. For home theater sound, JTR is vastly superior to deftech. In terms of dynamic range, they aren't even on the same planet. I have heard a bunch of their speakers, and they are all quite good.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
JTR speakers are made for dedicated theater rooms and situations like that. A lot of the time they go behind an acoustically transparent screen, so they aren't seen. They aren't intended to be in the middle of a living room. For home theater sound, JTR is vastly superior to deftech. In terms of dynamic range, they aren't even on the same planet. I have heard a bunch of their speakers, and they are all quite good.
Oh I have no doubt, but they are just a different type of product. They seem more professional or commercial HT speakers. They are rated up to 2,000 watts, I don't know what you would use to power them but I don't think its a Yamaha or Denon receiver. Its obviously not your run of the mill speaker company like Polk or Goldenear.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can run JTR speakers very easily with a Yamaha or Denon. They are very sensitive speaker, so they don't need a lot of current to get loud. But unlike most conventional home audio speakers, they can handle a ton of current, if you have the amp that can provide it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You can run JTR speakers very easily with a Yamaha or Denon. They are very sensitive speaker, so they don't need a lot of current to get loud. But unlike most conventional home audio speakers, they can handle a ton of current, if you have the amp that can provide it.
Yeah I would guess most people that go this route use serious amps to power them. Those speakers are HEAVY! Well over a 100, 200 pounds.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So I was told by Def Tech that they manufacture their own drivers. They did not go into detail, except to say they used to buy them but now the manufacture them themselves. I'm happy with that answer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I would guess most people that go this route use serious amps to power them. Those speakers are HEAVY! Well over a 100, 200 pounds.
Actually they're quite sensitive so you don't need a "serious" amp to drive them to quite loud levels. Since it takes a doubling of power for each additional 3dB of spl power needs do escalate quickly when you want it very loud, though. Weight doesn't have a lot to do with it....but is an indication of a sturdy cabinet.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There can be more costly speakers out there with cheaper parts in them, and not sound as good as the one you have. Do not let anyone mess with your speaker enjoyment.

Definitive makes and sells a lot of speakers -- they can get good volume pricing. The cabinet and the finish, is what tends to cost a lot of money.
That's not something new!
In the 1960's, McIntosh, the famous amplifier manufacturer, started manufacturing bookshelf speaker enclosures.

OK, the furniture was indeed very well finished. However, the speakers inside them were very cheap drivers and these enclosures were selling for $1200 a pair in Canada then, because of the brand name of course.

We shouldn't always trust the brand name.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's not something new!
In the 1960's, McIntosh, the famous amplifier manufacturer, started manufacturing bookshelf speaker enclosures.

OK, the furniture was indeed very well finished. However, the speakers inside them were very cheap drivers and these enclosures were selling for $1200 a pair in Canada then, because of the brand name of course.

We shouldn't always trust the brand name.
That is pretty crazy, I did not know that. McIntosh is one of those companies that fascinates me, I mean its high end and I'll never even hear their products. I imagine it being pretty awesome.
A story long these lines from me is I was obsessed with going with Separates about 7 or 8 years back and was between Parasound and B&K components. Spent a lot of money and got a Parasound 5 channel amp that was fantastic, best amp I ever owned. Then I went with a Parasound HT processor THX ultra certified and everything and guess what, didn't like it. Did not like the sound. Sold that after a few months at a huge loss and bought the B&K processor that is still the nicest sounding piece of equipment I have bought to date. Point is sometimes the big name doesn't work out, sometimes is the smaller brand that is less known. Sometimes its your second choice that ends up being the better choice. Ya just never know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis