Speaker components, drivers, crossover, cabinet costs question?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Lets have a discussion and if we could get Gene's thoughts on this would be awesome. I was trying to find his email to hear his thoughts directly.
Anyway I have had discussions, and have seen discussions on different forums about speaker components and costs of these components and overall the cost of the speaker itself. When it comes to component costs such as the drivers/tweeters, cabinet, electronics, crossover how much do these things cost as to performance? I am saying this because I saw a thread on a speaker company that people like to beat up, and its not Bose this time, its Definitive Technology. I have Def Tech speaker myself so I would like to understand this stuff better. Someone wrote that Def Tech was terrible in every single way, cheap everything including 13 dollar tweeters. I have no way to dispute or confirm that. Can you build a good speaker, a speaker that sounds good with a 13 dollar tweeter? The other components and how much they cost to how much performance you get? Not just Def Tech but any speaker company you want to talk about on this subject?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
There are several articles on the main page concerning what makes a 'good' speaker that would answer your questions.

As for DT in particular, sure, they should refrain from the ridiculous exaggerations in their spec sheets. Was your buddy right about their inherent suckiness? He was a bit hyperbolic at the very least. Are there better values out there? Heck yeah.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There can be more costly speakers out there with cheaper parts in them, and not sound as good as the one you have. Do not let anyone mess with your speaker enjoyment.

Definitive makes and sells a lot of speakers -- they can get good volume pricing. The cabinet and the finish, is what tends to cost a lot of money.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys, just thought it was an interesting subject. A guy on another forum really killed, I mean killed Def Tech, he made it sound like basically they build 100 dollar component speakers and sell them for 2,000 bucks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here are a couple articles about identifying good loudspeaker designs: Here and here. Just because a speaker has inexpensive components doesn't make it bad. I have heard some good cheap speakers and I have heard some bad expensive speakers. End performance is what matters above all, whatever the engineer does to achieve that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks guys, just thought it was an interesting subject. A guy on another forum really killed, I mean killed Def Tech, he made it sound like basically they build 100 dollar component speakers and sell them for 2,000 bucks.
Can you link to his comments? I am curious to see what he says.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I will copy and paste his comments.

You mean like the supercube with "useable output to 11hz?" BTW a max SPL sweep prob wouldn't yield any useable output below 35hz. I'm not hard on companies inflating a little even though it's dishonest. But these numbers are ludacris. Why not just post what a speaker can do? Because false advertising sells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff
As for the title of the post, it's not that there's no love for DefTech, it's just that they've had there problems when it comes to purists.
Some people can't get past the way they do there sub measurements, some people are simply opposed to bi-poles of any kind, and some people simply don't like a speaker with a signature sound that isn't completely neutral....
For those who like their sound, there's tons of love for the product and their unparalleled customer service.

As for me I'm simply a fan of not only DefTech, but any speaker that has Sandy Gross's signature sound, but that's just my personal taste, and everyone's is different.
See above on sub measurements. I owned BP860ST, 8040C, 8040SR, PM1000 seven channel system as my first real upgrade over a Onkyo HTIB. Sure it was nice to have speakers in locations and more bass but the sound wasn't any better than the Onkyo. Those aluminum dome tweeters cost Def Tech like $13.75, do we really expect any good sound to come from them much less anything near reference. I moved on to real speakers with limitless dynamics, BMS high frequency drivers, JBL high end drivers, etc. It's simply a whole different league of sound quality.

But if we are honest, yes even the men, are half furniture shopping when they buy speakers much less sound quality/performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes
DefTech has been around for a while now, and they're associated with being mass-market Best Buy speakers. They're also part of a big corporate group that also owns Polk, Boston Acoustics, and recently acquired Denon and Marantz.

That doesn't mean they're bad by any means, but the smaller and newer ID outfits tend to get more love around here. The founder of DefTech, Sandy Gross, now runs things at Goldenear, which has garnered some positive press both here and at other sites, and makes products that are very similar to a lot of DefTech products in many ways.

There are just a ton of options out there when it comes to speakers, and most of them are pretty good or better. RBH/Emptek, Elac, SVS, and Q Acoustics seem to be the flavors of the day when it comes to affordable speakers that offer a lot of bang for the buck. Give it another couple of years and there will be some new obsessions around here to be sure.
If we compared DT's margins of 'cost of speaker' to the ID companies some would file lawsuits. Marketing wins in the audio world, look at Bose. They spend more than all other audio companies in the world combined! Yet it was revealed years ago a 'magical' 6.5" driver was a common $7.85 run of the mill driver from China...Marketing wins the money from peoples pockets. The ID companies have done well on the niche market of us who truly care about sound quality. Look at JTR speakers. You can get the 210RM model for $1999 and it has an $800 ultra high end BMS 4593nd-HE compression driver, two quality 10" woofers, hand built crossover by a pro, Baltic Birch ply cab. But it's an ugly black box... Def Tech charged $999 for that 8060ST with a HF driver worth two digits of $$$, see the point?

I'm sure I com across as a DT hater, I'm not. I was just disappointed to spend my hard earned money on crap in a cloth sock and piano black caps. But I chalked it up as my fault for not doing real research. Knowledge is power, competition drives up quality and prices down for all of us so spread the word!

See if you can follow it, because there are quotes from other member in there that might throw you off, but I think you can pretty much understand what he posted.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm in that thread. lol

From what I've seen, lot of folks have a big problem with their bloated published specs, and that IS a problem. I've seen some tests that show many of their speakers aren't capable of what they claim, particularly their subs, so it's hard to argue that one. I personally had a full blown deftech system. SM55s were my mains, Promonitor 1000s for surrounds and a CS 8040HD center channel and was pretty pleased with it until I heard better. Better cost me a few bucks more too though.

You're fighting an uphill battle defending Deftech in most circles.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm in that thread. lol

From what I've seen, lot of folks have a big problem with their bloated published specs, and that IS a problem. I've seen some tests that show many of their speakers aren't capable of what they claim, particularly their subs, so it's hard to argue that one. I personally had a full blown deftech system. SM55s were my mains, Promonitor 1000s for surrounds and a CS 8040HD center channel and was pretty pleased with it until I heard better. Better cost me a few bucks more too though.

You're fighting an uphill battle defending Deftech in most circles.
I'm not trying to defend at all, DT are big boys they can do that themselves. What I'm trying to get down to is the quality of the components that they use. Are they as bad as that dude made it out to be? Is it a 50 dollar hunk of junk sold for a thousand bucks? What's the truth here leaving out the bogus specs which they should stop immediately?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not trying to defend at all, DT are big boys they can do that themselves. What I'm trying to get down to is the quality of the components that they use. Are they as bad as that dude made it out to be? Is it a 50 dollar hunk of junk sold for a thousand bucks? What's the truth here leaving out the bogus specs which they should stop immediately?
I don't think component parts cost are the biggest factors in quality. The science, build quality, finish and engineering that goes into putting them all together eats up a lot of the budget. Like I said, I've owned Deftech. I still use the Promonitor1000s for surrounds and I'm still impressed with them. There are some folks who just won't hear it because they've already dismissed Deftech bbased on the specs they post don't match 3rd party measurements. I think they make decent speakers regardless, especially as you go up in price.

I saw you recently got a 3rd SM65 for a center? Nice. I almost got those myself. I think they're solid speakers. Better than the 55's I had.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK I see what he is saying. I have always considered Deftech to be fine for what they are, not great, but not bad either, but I only have a little bit of experience with a couple of their speakers. Didn't hear anything wrong at the time. Here are a few measurements: Stereophile, another Stereophile, and S&V. Soundstage has a handful too. Some measure well, others don't measure that great. I would say you can do worse than Deftech.

As for the value in terms of cost of components vs MSRP, I don't think that is quite the best way to look at it. The drivers and crossover components probably weren't very expensive parts, but to bring a speaker to market has a lot of other costs to consider. There is design work, assembly costs, marketing costs, storage fees, transportation, retail costs, and so on. Deftech has to keep their lights on and so do the stores that their speakers are sold at. This guy compares DT to JTR. Well, you can't walk in a store that is a 10 min drive away and buy a JTR product. Once you buy a JTR speaker, there is a wait while it is built. Outside of message boards and internet chatter, there is nothing to alert you to the fact that JTR even exists, since JTR's marketing budget is microscopic compared to DT's. As was mentioned, JTR makes just about zero concession to spouse approval factor. Deftech makes speakers that fit far more people's criteria than JTR. Yes, you get much higher quality components for the cost of the speaker with JTR, but the comparison between these two speaker brands is absurd.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think component parts cost are the biggest factors in quality. The science, build quality, finish and engineering that goes into putting them all together eats up a lot of the budget. Like I said, I've owned Deftech. I still use the Promonitor1000s for surrounds and I'm still impressed with them. There are some folks who just won't hear it because they've already dismissed Deftech bbased on the specs they post don't match 3rd party measurements. I think they make decent speakers regardless, especially as you go up in price.

I saw you recently got a 3rd SM65 for a center? Nice. I almost got those myself. I think they're solid speakers. Better than the 55's I had.
Yup got a 3rd SM 65 for a center and I'm loving it so far. It's different than a traditional center sound but I like it. It's super, super clear with dialog and overall a great speaker.
The BS specs in time may make me move on from this brand. I am pretty sure if go with SVS ultra bookshelf maybe, and ultra center but prime bookshelf for surrounds. That would be where'd I'd go but I just spent a ton in this system and I think if my wife sees another box show up with a speaker in it she's gonna have a stroke. I would like to go all SVS though but I already had Def Tech and didn't want to mix brand for a while when buying pieces of SVS over time. Dumb way to think I agree. I could have over the last year moved to an all SVS system. I may go that route though in the future.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup got a 3rd SM 65 for a center and I'm loving it so far. It's different than a traditional center sound but I like it. It's super, super clear with dialog and overall a great speaker.
The BS specs in time may make me move on from this brand. I am pretty sure if go with SVS ultra bookshelf maybe, and ultra center but prime bookshelf for surrounds. That would be where'd I'd go but I just spent a ton in this system and I think if my wife sees another box show up with a speaker in it she's gonna have a stroke. I would like to go all SVS though but I already had Def Tech and didn't want to mix brand for a while when buying pieces of SVS over time. Dumb way to think I agree. I could have over the last year moved to an all SVS system. I may go that route though in the future.
I love my Ultras.

And boy oh boy do I know what you mean about expensive boxes showing up at the house. When I got a pair of VTF-3's... Let's just say that I'm still paying for them, even though they're paid for. lol. I'm still trying to get her buttered up for the matching center.

If I were you, I'd just keep your current surrounds if you decide to upgrade. Timbre matching isn't as important with surrounds and they're the right color. My Promonitor1000s are actually a very nice aesthetic match for my Ultras and I have no plans to replace them any time soon.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I love my Ultras.

And boy oh boy do I know what you mean about expensive boxes showing up at the house. When I got a pair of VTF-3's... Let's just say that I'm still paying for them, even though they're paid for. lol. I'm still trying to get her buttered up for the matching center.

If I were you, I'd just keep your current surrounds if you decide to upgrade. Timbre matching isn't as important with surrounds and they're the right color. My Promonitor1000s are actually a very nice aesthetic match for my Ultras and I have no plans to replace them any time soon.
Oh wow you have the ultra bookshelf speakers? I had the instinct to start to move to a different brand, to SVS a year ago but my dumb way of thinking got in the way. How awesome are those ultra speakers? They look great and I heard they match the prime bookshelf speakers perfectly because there is much less demand on the surround channels of course. I wish SVS because they really have a great customer service had a program in place to trade in existing speakers to move to SVS. Of course I guess that wouldn't make economic sense to them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh wow you have the ultra bookshelf speakers? I had the instinct to start to move to a different brand, to SVS a year ago but my dumb way of thinking got in the way. How awesome are those ultra speakers? They look great and I heard they match the prime bookshelf speakers perfectly because there is much less demand on the surround channels of course. I wish SVS because they really have a great customer service had a program in place to trade in existing speakers to move to SVS. Of course I guess that wouldn't make economic sense to them.

I got lucky and found a pair for $800, virtually undamaged in their outlet. Each one has a very tiny chip in one corner that we had to get a bright led on to see.

They dig down to a healthy 48-50db with authority and blend very well with my subs. I've seen posts here that the tweeters they're using are among the best aluminum dome tweeters they've heard. All I can really say to that is they're the best I've ever heard. I don't have a lot of experience with speakers in this price range, but I dont regret getting them.

They're very transparent and have great imaging. The first time I've noticed speakers "disappearing" and getting out of the way of the music. They're enough to satisfy my upgrade bug for a while. At least until I can save up for some towers. For now I'm sticking with bookshelf for cost/quality ratio. I tried to future proof myself for subs by getting a pair of VTF-3 MK5s. I didn't want to incrementally keep upgrading like I did speakers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I got lucky and found a pair for $800, virtually undamaged in their outlet. Each one has a very tiny chip in one corner that we had to get a bright led on to see.

They dig down to a healthy 48-50db with authority and blend very well with my subs. I've seen posts here that the tweeters they're using are among the best aluminum dome tweeters they've heard. All I can really say to that is they're the best I've ever heard. I don't have a lot of experience with speakers in this price range, but I dont regret getting them.

They're very transparent and have great imaging. The first time I've noticed speakers "disappearing" and getting out of the way of the music. They're enough to satisfy my upgrade bug for a while. At least until I can save up for some towers. For now I'm sticking with bookshelf for cost/quality ratio. I tried to future proof myself for subs by getting a pair of VTF-3 MK5s. I didn't want to incrementally keep upgrading like I did speakers.
Yeah I saw some Ultras in the outlet just now, 800 bucks. Good deal, and they don't show up in the outlet very often. Like I said in the future I probably will go in the SVS direction. I have the PB-1000 and it's fantastic. The good news is my wife is up for a new job that pays a lot better than the one she has so who knows maybe those boxes with speakers start showing up on my doorstep again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, you might not necessarily have a 'dumb way of thinking'. A lot of folks get excited in this hobby and purchase things without knowing for sure what they're getting into. I did. The guys here helped me out quite a bit. I don't think you ended up with a bad rig either. I wouldn't complain if I had 3 SM65s for my front stage. Fudged numbers or not, they're pretty nice speakers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No your right on that one. I'm not complaining, they are great speakers no doubt. Please no one think I'm tearing down Def Tech, not at all. Love this system.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

You are using the SM65 upright and not on its side, right?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You are using the SM65 upright and not on its side, right?
Yes upright, plenty of room under TV. Sounds great so far. I would not have gotten a 65 if I couldn't have it straight up the way it was intended. It would bother me daily to see that speaker laying on its side, it would annoy me to no end.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis