Need advice on rear/side surround placement

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I recently bought a pair of Aperion 5b to round out my 5.1. I have a pair of Panavision mounts which will allow me to mount them to the wall or ceiling and angle them. My issue is an odd shaped room, in which our main couch is actually in a window well. I put together a rough sketch of the room below.

I know surrounds are supposed to be 90 to 110 degrees from the listening position, but that's tough to do in my situation. Basically, I would need to either mount them on the outside walls, which would put them actually in front of the listening position slightly and angled down, or mount them in the actual window well with the couch, where they would be only a foot or two away from the edge of the couch, and angled down from about 3' above. Based on the size of the speakers, this might look pretty awkward too.

The sitting position on the couch is about level with the back wall, with the actual well being utilized when reclined. My thought is to put them on the outside walls angled down, to get wider sound dispersion, but I worry about reflections since the wall is right there.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Chi-townLR3,
My 2 cents; place them on the outside walls and move the couch forward a couple feet to achieve the desired 90-110 degree angle. If your significant other is not thrilled with the idea, offer to put a real or fake plant of some kind in the space created with the couch moved forward (it will also act as a sound diffuser). ;)
- An additional benefit may be better sound from the front three speakers by no longer being "in the well".

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's what I was kinda thinking too. They could possibly mount in the rear wall, at a 90deg too if the sides would be too far away.
What is the short measurement of the room?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My rear speakers are only 2 feet behind the seated listening/viewing position, should I move them farther back? I don't have much wiggle room to move the couch.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My rear speakers are only 2 feet behind the seated listening/viewing position, should I move them farther back? I don't have much wiggle room to move the couch.
By rear do you mean L/R surround? Then no, 2' should. E about as far as you'd want. If you mean rear surround in a 7.1 configuration, then I'd say yes. At least 4' behind the LP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis