Is this Turntable Considered STATE OF THE ART?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
O.K. old thread; but, still relevant since undoubtedly folks resurrecting old turntables will likely want to fit a new cartridge or stylus. In fact, my Sony PS-4750 could use a new stylus but the rub is finding one. My turntable is fitted with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge and the stylus for this is no longer made. I've read a few reviews about a JICO replacement stylus, which is identified as a SAS model. It sells for about $250. I would not at all mind spending that kind of money if indeed it would perform like the Shure stylus. But, putting out that kind of money and not having the stylus track would be very depressing. I'm wondering if any here have experience with the JICO described? I'd trust comment here more than on sites where thread producers may not be the armature enthusiasts poised to be.
The JICO stylus will probably track OK, but it will not be the same. The original is Beryllium and the JICO is Aluminum.

New old stock replacement styli do come up on eBay.

If you want a replacement, then the Ortofon 2M Black is the closest replacement.

Dave Blount

Dave Blount

Junior Audioholic
does replacing the stylus also renew the cantilever suspension ? if it doesn't then depending on the cartridge age that could be a serious concern. With the resurgence of analog in the last five years there are a lot of fine offerings at all price points, Ortofon being one that comes to mind. One of the nicest 'affordable' cartridges I've heard of late ......Denon DL-103r. It msrp's for $379 but can be had for $250-275

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hifi/turntables/dl103r

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

does replacing the stylus also renew the cantilever suspension ? if it doesn't then depending on the cartridge age that could be a serious concern. With the resurgence of analog in the last five years there are a lot of fine offerings at all price points, Ortofon being one that comes to mind. One of the nicest 'affordable' cartridges I've heard of late ......Denon DL-103r. It msrp's for $379 but can be had for $250-275

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hifi/turntables/dl103r
The cantilever suspension is part of a stylus replacement. The only thing that remains are the field coils and the body.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The JICO stylus will probably track OK, but it will not be the same. The original is Beryllium and the JICO is Aluminum.

If you want a replacement, then the Ortofon 2M Black is the closest replacement.

I believe the JICO SAS has a sapphire cantilever. Now, I have considered the 2M Black but my turntable does not have an adjustment for tonearm height; and, since the Ortofon cartridge, as I understand it, demands a tonearm adjusted to the correct angle, I have been looking at other solutions. Perhaps the NOS is a solution, if seller is trustworthy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I believe the JICO SAS has a sapphire cantilever. Now, I have considered the 2M Black but my turntable does not have an adjustment for tonearm height; and, since the Ortofon cartridge, as I understand it, demands a tonearm adjusted to the correct angle, I have been looking at other solutions. Perhaps the NOS is a solution, if seller is trustworthy.
You are correct. They changed that replacement to a Sapphire cantilever in July of last year.

The fact remains that that JICO stylus is a very different animal from the original Shure.

I don't actually see a replacement for your cartridge. You can not substitute the V15 xMR.

Not being able to adjust arm height is a big problem. That is typical of Far Eastern turntables, for which I have severe antipathy and would never own one. State of the art they are not.

S

sterling shoote

You are correct. They changed that replacement to a Sapphire cantilever in July of last year.

The fact remains that that JICO stylus is a very different animal from the original Shure.

I don't actually see a replacement for your cartridge. You can not substitute the V15 xMR.

Not being able to adjust arm height is a big problem. That is typical of Far Eastern turntables, for which I have severe antipathy and would never own one. State of the art they are not.
I discovered I still have a Shure V15 lll without stylus. I'm going to get the JICO SAS for it, hoping it's not a $250 mistake. Professional reviews state the SAS attached the V15 lll tracks better than anything else I could be considering today. We'll see. I'll post my impressions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I discovered I still have a Shure V15 lll without stylus. I'm going to get the JICO SAS for it, hoping it's not a $250 mistake. Professional reviews state the SAS attached the V15 lll tracks better than anything else I could be considering today. We'll see. I'll post my impressions.
I will be interested to know how that turns out.

V

V-fet

Audiophyte
I know this is an old post but if you’re still using a PS-4750, it does have tone arm height adjustment, please see the service manual available at vinylengine .com .

5AABF6B3-6B63-4696-B7E2-01BD4BB286C5.png

Last edited:
D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic

SAS stylus are either Boron, Sappire or Ruby Cantilevers... not aluminium.

They are good. Not as good as the original, but very good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Holy thread-surrection Batman!

Is there an award for double necro-thread action?

Started in 2011, resurrected in 2017...
Then again earlier this week!

1669323568065.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Think I saw a 14 year old resurrection recently.....
But DOUBLE SIX YEAR!!!
;)

If only we can let this rest for another six before somebody foolishly disturbs its slumber, we can have a 6-6-6 year triple thread-surrection and summon forth the Forum Apocalypse!

:rolleyes:

highfigh

highfigh

I know this is an old post but if you’re still using a PS-4750, it does have tone arm height adjustment, please see the service manual available at vinylengine .com .

View attachment 58785
VFet, eh? I had a Sony integrated amp that used those for the output and Phono sections- sounded great, but they were a bit temperamental.

I thought it was interesting that MTX and Rockford-Fosgate used VFets in some of their car power amps, during the mid-late '90s.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 58785
That is an adjustment for the arm lifter; not the same as adjusting tone arm height. To raise/lower the tone arm height the entire gimbal needs to adjust up and down which affects the angle of the stylus to the platter.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
SAS styli continue to be available... hence postings on resurrecting Shure cartridges with SAS... remain valid.... we can keep those dead walking/playing!

I love my Zombie cartridges.

S

sterling shoote

View attachment 58785
That’s an adjustment for arm lift, which does not effect vertical tracking angle. Fact is the turntable’s non-adjustable design only accommodates 15mm height cartridges like the Shure V15V-MR. To accommodate an 18mm cart,like some from Ortofon, requires purchase of a tall headshell, like the Ortofon SH-4, to get proper vertical tracking angle.

S

sterling shoote

I will be interested to know how that turns out.
Gee, forgot all about this thread. I did indeed buy a JICO SAS-B for my Shure V15 Type III and it outperforms my V15V-MR. In fact I prefer it to all other carts I own. The cart is now running on a Technics SL-1210GR feeding a Parasound P6’s phono preamp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis