Star Wars Rogue One - Very Brief Non Spoiler

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just came back from the theater, would rate this movie a solid B

What I enjoyed:
  • K2SO Droid, no jar jar here, this character was fun and entertaining (think sarcastic C3PO with courage)
  • There is a story here, a little better developed than I had expected
  • Cameo's (you will have to see it first)
  • I like the pair of Baze Malbus and his buddy Chirrut Îmwe, both actors played off each other well
  • You will see one bad ass Sith Lord and the end....nuff said
What I didn't care for as much
  • Some Cameo's completely worthless
  • a lot of the secondary characters you didn't really care about
  • Main character Jyn, seemed a little whimpy at times

I really don't want to include any spoilers until people have had a chance to see it, but you will not be wasting your money if you go see it in a theater. On a side note, I went to a small theater and the sound quality was severely lacking. I am hoping it was the theater. Special effects are solid.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
This December I can't afford £22.65 I can only spend it on cat food instead. I can just afford to spend £100 on another THX 3417 but don't have £22.65 for disney cash white slavers star wars cow.

I rather watch the chimpanzee washing a cat on (loop) for 2 hours.

Last edited:
skypickle

skypickle

Audioholic Intern
Rogue 1 has left story land. The depth of the plot(s), the character development, the cinematography, the editing - all were superb - rendering this the first star wars that was believable in the sense of realism of human emotions, reaction, success, failure, pain and happiness. I did not feel like I was in a mother goose tale. Rather, it felt more like 'Saving Private Ryan'.

Yes the droid reminded me of TARS from 'interstellar'. Not a cartoon droid but rather a believable instance of what AI might give us. Although I imagine google might give a 'googly' AI that sounds like C3PO.

The various parallel story lines did not just converge to a happy ending - rather they meandered like a swarm of fireflies coming close and then diverging - a closer simulacrum of real life. A flavor of 'Westworld' but less somber, even though there was more death. Still I did not feel the portrayal of conflicts were cartoonish - no silliness like JarJar getting run over by a tank with humorous intent. no, battles are not funny and it is impossible to laugh in the real thing.

This is not a Star Wars for little children. There is not a lot of comic relief. The losses that some of the actors endure could affect sensitive children adversely. But adolescents are probably well equipped to engage the diverse emotions and understand them.

The use of close cropped shots, the darker scenes, the use of depth of field to isolate the character reinforced the sense of urgency with claustrophobic and sometimes uncomfortable angles of cinematography. The colors were great with good evocation of mood without over saturation or any of that JJ Abrams stuff (shaking, flare, bright spots, etc) Even the entry and exit to hyperspace was more believable than the star smearing psychedelic light show we have been trained to expect.

All of this and also a nice explanation of how one star wars movie led to another with the appropriate facts to build continuity. If you are the OCD kind of fan that keeps tracks of details, even the alien characters were pulled from the same species of other star wars movies - and these similarities anchored this movie in the same universe as the other movies. Sometimes tho the facts were a little to 'in your face'. The sight of Princess Leia and the spooky verisimilitude to what we remember was jarring. A little bit like seeing someone resurrected from the dead.

I can't wait till I see it again.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Rogue 1 has left story land. The depth of the plot(s), the character development, the cinematography, the editing - all were superb - rendering this the first star wars that was believable in the sense of realism of human emotions, reaction, success, failure, pain and happiness. I did not feel like I was in a mother goose tale. Rather, it felt more like 'Saving Private Ryan'.

Yes the droid reminded me of TARS from 'interstellar'. Not a cartoon droid but rather a believable instance of what AI might give us. Although I imagine google might give a 'googly' AI that sounds like C3PO.

The various parallel story lines did not just converge to a happy ending - rather they meandered like a swarm of fireflies coming close and then diverging - a closer simulacrum of real life. A flavor of 'Westworld' but less somber, even though there was more death. Still I did not feel the portrayal of conflicts were cartoonish - no silliness like JarJar getting run over by a tank with humorous intent. no, battles are not funny and it is impossible to laugh in the real thing.

This is not a Star Wars for little children. There is not a lot of comic relief. The losses that some of the actors endure could affect sensitive children adversely. But adolescents are probably well equipped to engage the diverse emotions and understand them.

The use of close cropped shots, the darker scenes, the use of depth of field to isolate the character reinforced the sense of urgency with claustrophobic and sometimes uncomfortable angles of cinematography. The colors were great with good evocation of mood without over saturation or any of that JJ Abrams stuff (shaking, flare, bright spots, etc) Even the entry and exit to hyperspace was more believable than the star smearing psychedelic light show we have been trained to expect.

All of this and also a nice explanation of how one star wars movie led to another with the appropriate facts to build continuity. If you are the OCD kind of fan that keeps tracks of details, even the alien characters were pulled from the same species of other star wars movies - and these similarities anchored this movie in the same universe as the other movies. Sometimes tho the facts were a little to 'in your face'. The sight of Princess Leia and the spooky verisimilitude to what we remember was jarring. A little bit like seeing someone resurrected from the dead.

I can't wait till I see it again.
Man, you're making me excited about this movie.

The trailer seems more interesting to me than all the other Star Wars movies.

I'm always afraid it's going to be another SW major letdown.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
On a side note, I went to a small theater and the sound quality was severely lacking. I am hoping it was the theater.
I saw it in a chain theater (not their best room: matinee, not 3D or Imax) and was underwhelmed by the sound. I have to think that it was the theater's fault but the sound stage was very forward and non-immersive. I'll bet the Blu-ray will be very good though. Dare I hope for Atmos or DTS-X?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I saw it in a chain theater (not their best room: matinee, not 3D or Imax) and was underwhelmed by the sound. I have to think that it was the theater's fault but the sound stage was very forward and non-immersive. I'll bet the Blu-ray will be very good though. Dare I hope for Atmos or DTS-X?
I saw it a second Time in IMAX 3D (Sorry but the 3D is a total waste for this movie) but the sound was improved. Not sure if it's my hearing or just the music, but the bass seems lacking

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw it a second Time in IMAX 3D (Sorry but the 3D is a total waste for this movie) but the sound was improved. Not sure if it's my hearing or just the music, but the bass seems lacking
Watch it again in a THX-certified theater and see if the bass is still lacking. :D

But I have a feeling if the bass is lacking in an IMAX theater, the bass is lacking in all theaters.

It would be disappointing if they can't figure out the bass this day and age.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Watch it again in a THX-certified theater and see if the bass is still lacking. :D

But I have a feeling if the bass is lacking in an IMAX theater, the bass is lacking in all theaters.

It would be disappointing if they can't figure out the bass this day and age.
It just didn't have the pop I remember from recent star wars movies, not sure if it was a mixing issue. I tried to get to see it in the ATMOS theater by AMC, but they had some conflict with Disney and canceled opening night tickets, which went to my spambox, so I had to see it somewhere else the first night.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
We just saw it in a Santikos Palladiun AVX and the picture and sound were great. I don't always believe the hype but here is the description from their website:

Santikos AVX is the Ultimate Audio Visual EXperience and is our highest standard of projection quality. AVX auditoriums feature oversized wall to wall and floor to ceiling screens, premium sound systems featuring Dolby ATMOS and Barco’s AURO 11.1 and the brightest 4K digital projection picture available. The featured sound system does vary by auditorium. Check out Santikos AVX-The experience is better.

Movie was good. We took all the kids and they enjoyed it as well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
We saw this today. Excellent.
I noticed at least one trailer (I rebel) was not in the film and perhaps some dogfight scenes were not there either.
Maybe in the extended BD?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched it two weeks ago and I really liked it, much better than the previous one although that had its moments. Defintaly adding a copy of this to my BluRay shelf.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll be buying this one as well. I liked it a lot. It had the feel of a Star Wars movie, not just a cash in like Force Awakens. Force Awakens tried to have an older look and feel but lacked any substance. This one was able to be serious yet still have fun at the same time and countless tie-ins that show where the stories to come began. It was good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Finally saw Rogue One. Aside from the CGI characters of Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin, I enjoyed Rogue One a lot more than the last 4 Star Wars movies.

I think it might be the best Star Wars to date.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We just saw it in a Santikos Palladiun AVX and the picture and sound were great. I don't always believe the hype but here is the description from their website:

Santikos AVX is the Ultimate Audio Visual EXperience and is our highest standard of projection quality. AVX auditoriums feature oversized wall to wall and floor to ceiling screens, premium sound systems featuring Dolby ATMOS and Barco’s AURO 11.1 and the brightest 4K digital projection picture available. The featured sound system does vary by auditorium. Check out Santikos AVX-The experience is better.

Movie was good. We took all the kids and they enjoyed it as well.
This place is genuinely looks awesome. In last 10 years I've been in theaters only few times, but places LIKE this one (if I had one nearby) would've surely change that.

Yes, ticket price could be tad more expensive, but make it worthwhile for me, and not by deliberately diluting what iMAX stood for (google Imax digital is you're curious)

As for movie itself, like AcuRBHGuy :rolleyes: I've only recently saw it. Can't comment on SFX much, since my speakers were my best phones - K712's - Sound was good, but it's not how it meant to be enjoyed.

Storyline was decent and I simply loved K2SO lines. Very much reminiscent of HK-47 from Kotor.

Some epic scenes were cut from final version (yes, I know Disney ordered to re-do since they considered original was too dark? I'd love to see it thou.

Despite the fact this movie has TONS of throwback cameos, the left one major out, but luckily someone did pretty decent fan opening crawl
<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/769341148/E1zVmpNYx_default/index.html?videoId=5257255691001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis