speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, just recently bought some JBL 305 Studio Monitors. Got them on a Black Friday deal. Really like them a lot. But, I am hearing a bit of resonance at times. However, I think it is coming more from my stands than the cabinets if that makes any sense, no? So, would a set of Mo-Pads eliminate this issue? That is, place the Mo-Pads on top of my stands, then place the 305's on the MO-Pads? The sound I am hearing is not really that bad, but it is noticeable. Here are a few pics:

upload_2016-12-9_11-39-30.png

upload_2016-12-9_11-40-28.png

upload_2016-12-9_11-42-3.png

upload_2016-12-9_11-42-44.png

Anyways, if the Mo-Pads or something similar would do the trick, then please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm wondering if that one stuck in the corner is part of the issue.

If it were me, I would try to find something around the house to decouple the speakers from the stands, before I went out to spend the $ for Mo-pads. Do the experiment and if it does what you want, then find something that will look nicer.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I think anything that would decouple the speakers from the stands will probably help. Rubber or felt feet, a small slab of foam rubber, etc. will do the job. I would try whatever I have laying around before buying something, maybe scraps of carpet.

Jim

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Those cabinet boxes are not very thick - and there has been some complaints of resonance in
the lsr budget friendly monitors. There has to be compromise somewhere for the price. I would
at least have bumper feet between the speaker and stands.

If you keep the speakers, you can do some type of treatment inside the cabinets.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm wondering if that one stuck in the corner is part of the issue.

If it were me, I would try to find something around the house to decouple the speakers from the stands, before I went out to spend the $ for Mo-pads. Do the experiment and if it does what you want, then find something that will look nicer.
Oops! My bad. Forgot to mention it is the 305 on the left hand side not the one in the corner. Meant to mention that very fact. I am almost certain it is the stand. Might have something around that can decouple the 305's from the stands. But, the question is, however, would the Mo-Pads be worth the investment? Also, do the 305's look to be a bit too high up? They sound fantastic!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think anything that would decouple the speakers from the stands will probably help. Rubber or felt feet, a small slab of foam rubber, etc. will do the job. I would try whatever I have laying around before buying something, maybe scraps of carpet.

Jim
Hey Jim, maybe I can put one of my ex-wife's underneath them eh......LOL!!!! Just kidding! NOT! Anyways, will see what I can find before spending any money. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oops! My bad. Forgot to mention it is the 305 on the left hand side not the one in the corner. Meant to mention that very fact. I am almost certain it is the stand. Might have something around that can decouple the 305's from the stands. But, the question is, however, would the Mo-Pads be worth the investment? Also, do the 305's look to be a bit too high up? They sound fantastic!

Cheers,

Phil
Meh, Mo-pads are nice, but at MSRP they are waayyyy over-priced! Personally, I refuse to pay over $20 for a set and that is already pushing it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Those cabinet boxes are not very thick - and there has been some complaints of resonance in
the lsr budget friendly monitors. There has to be compromise somewhere for the price. I would
at least have bumper feet between the speaker and stands.

If you keep the speakers, you can do some type of treatment inside the cabinets.
Thanks Zieg. I have some bumper feet here somewhere. But where is the better question......LOL!!!!! No need for Mo-Pads if it isn't going to make much difference. Like I said, it is really not that bad but noticeable nonetheless. Do I have them setup too high? They really do sound good. No complaints from me given that I only gave $198 shipped for the set!

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Jim, maybe I can put one of my ex-wife's underneath them eh......LOL!!!! Just kidding! NOT! Anyways, will see what I can find before spending any money. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Also, check and make sure the screws on the woofer are tight, however do not over over turn and strip them. All in all, if they annoy too much then exchange them for a new pair - some people have done this.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Run a sine wave sweep through each speaker individually. Try to use a long sweep, of 30 seconds more more, that indicates what frequency is playing. There are lots of youtube videos of these types of test tones. Set the system to a high volume level before you do this (but not too high). Listen for resonances or vibrations and make a note of what frequencies they occur at. Once you know what frequencies they are occurring at, you can listen closer and isolate the source of the problem.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Also, check and make sure the screws on the woofer are tight, however do not over over turn and strip them. All in all, if they annoy too much then exchange them for a new pair - some people have done this.
I don't see any need to return them. It is not that bad, but noticeable. Will check to make sure the mids are tight. Don't have a 3 mm wrench on hand. But, I bet my neighbor does. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Mopads are pricey, but they REALLY work. I have 3 sets.
So, you think that it would be worth the investment then? I don't mind getting a set of Mo-Pads if it is really going to make a difference. Sam Ash has them for about $40 a set shipped! That a good deal John?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Run a sine wave sweep through each speaker individually. Try to use a long sweep, of 30 seconds more more, that indicates what frequency is playing. There are lots of youtube videos of these types of test tones. Set the system to a high volume level before you do this (but not too high). Listen for resonances or vibrations and make a note of what frequencies they occur at. Once you know what frequencies they are occurring at, you can listen closer and isolate the source of the problem.
Will do that as soon as time allows. Been a hectic day here. Thanks for the advice Shady. BTW, are my 305's up too high? I know you told me that they needed to be elevated before. The tweeters are a few inches above ear level. Sounds very good to me. Really like these 305's much more than the Samson's I had. Appreciate the help!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The tweeters should be at or near ear level. Usually when I have been using the computer for while, I find myself slumping down into the seat, which puts my head well below the tweeters. With my present speakers, this doesn't really hurt the sound too badly, but I have used speakers on my computer desktop that really sounded awful when I listened too far down the vertical axis.

If you find the tweeters a bit higher than your ear level, one thing you can try is simply turning the speakers upside down, and seeing how it sounds then. It may lead to an improvement since the high frequencies tend to be more directional than mids or bass.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Try out the Adam Halls. Looks like a good option.

MoPads include an additional set of 4 degree pads that allow you have them at 4 or 8 deg, which I like. I use the thin ones separately for my mains and the normal thick ones for my surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis