Need help with corner mounted front speakers

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have a bit of a predicament with the new house that I am building. Bear with me as I try to explain...

We are stuck with our TV over the fireplace. I tried to convince the wife to do it on the other wall, but in the end her arguments won out. It's an open floor plan and if the TV is over the fireplace you can see it from the kitchen too and that was a big deal to her. In the end we have a bonus room that I can turn into a home theater which is where I will put real effort into proper placement etc.

I probably would have gone with just a soundbar in the living room if I had it to do over again, but I already paid to have the electrician wire the room for 5.1 with the components hidden in the closet. So if I go soundbar I waste all that money I paid.

My original plan was to go with something like the KEF T301 and T301c as my LCR and get a pair of in-ceiling for the rear surrounds (with the open floor plan the only place to put the rears are in the ceiling). But the electrician went and ran the speaker wire for the front L and R into the corners of the room. Now that everything is plastered its going to be a pain to change... So now I am looking at options for an LCR setup that will allow me to have corner mounted LR and a center under the TV.

I have a set of Elac B6 and the C5 for the center in my current home, but the L and R are WAY too big for the space and there is ZERO chance my wife will go for them in the living room, plus I think the B6 is rear ported so putting it against the wall is probably a bad idea anyway.

So basically I need some ideas about speakers that can be mounted in the corners of the room with a matching center that can actually be in the right position. I already have a SVS SB1000 that will be used as the sub and a Denon AVR-X3100.

Want to keep the budget at under $1000 if possible for the LCR.

Also could use some advice on in-ceiling surrounds for the rears...

Thanks!

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
You probably will run into some issues corner loading most loudspeakers. Something like these would work
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-8/fusion8-kit.html
Can have a local cabinet maker build and finish the kit and would come in or under budget. If your floor plan is large and open, you might want to rethink the sub.
GCap74: First, may I ask you if your Fireploace is drywalled, or brick or stone? If you like I have a pair of Pinnacle Gold Corner mount Speakers in white. Very nice, and perhaps what you might be looking for. They will look nice, and they are made for corner mounting. Go to www.pinnaclespeakers.com.
Also, in terms of In Ceiling Speakers can be great. I have & love Niles Speakers (www.nilesaudio.com)
Most, if not all, in ceiling speakers have overcome most, if not all of the previous dislikes. Most have pivoting tweeters, so that while installing , you can aim the tweeters to suit your room and furniture. Good Luck. Post pictures.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Here is a cut sheet on the Pinnacle corner mount speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think a set of KEF eggs would be sufficient. I'd not put too much energy into the system given that you have a dedicated room.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't know how good a system you want in that space.

I know of no good commercial speakers designed for corner mounting.

It is possible to make an excellent speaker for corner mounting. You have to make the corner mounting part of the total design, especially the bass loading.

This has not be done to my knowledge since Gilbert Briggs designs for Wharfedale back in the fifties.

I did do a corner design for my previous home and enjoyed these speakers for about 30 years..

If you want an excellent result this means DIY.

I know of no current commercial designs that would perform like the speakers illustrated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis