Bookshelf 2.1 system for computer

A

anarchoi

Audioholic Intern
After reading the comments on my last thread, i have decided to change my desk setup to make more room for new speakers. Since my requirements have changed i thought i should start a different topic.

I am looking for 2 high end speakers to upgrade my computer speakers. It will be used with a subwoofer that i will buy separately later. The speakers will be standing next to my monitor, i have maximum 10 inches available on each sides.

Usage: 50% music (punk) + 25% gaming + 25% youtube
Most of the times i will stand in front of my computer when listening to music, but something i go around the house and listen from 25ft away when i'm in the kitchen.

I'm very picky about the visual look of the speakers as they will be standing in front of my eyes around 10 hours per day (i work at home with the computer). So i want something that looks good on my desk (non-glossy black oak would be perfect).

I'm not sure if i want passive or active speakers. Considering all options. I could use my AVR or buy a separate amp
I'm novice with audio technical details but i want high end gear.

• Maximum 10 inches width

• black color, non-glossy

• budget is around 1500$

Favorite picks so far:
Which one would you chose ? Any other suggestions matching the requierements ?
Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
These instead:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html
You budget should allow custom cabinet finish in any material/color you like
With 30hz +/- 2db you won't need a sub.

One word of warning: Youtube for most part will sound like crap due to low quality of audio due to compression.

Sorry, but none of your choices I would call High-End bookshelves.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with BSA those AA's can't be beat. As an alternative speakers I'll recommend these speakers I have them in a 2.1 setup on my PC and I like them alot:
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair
Subwoofer: Dayton 1200
yea, AA's, Wavecrest and Dayton are all decent products, but not decent enough for $1500 budget
and yea, as tyhjaarpa already mentioned, I recommended $1200+ BMRs, not AA. Both good, but on whole different levels.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My bad just saw Phil and thought they were AA's.:D I still say WCA and Dayton make a nice combo for a PC.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
$1500 punk music and computer gaming? I don't think you need spend that much on speakers. Get a good $600+ sub though.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My bad just saw Phil and thought they were AA's.:D I still say WCA and Dayton make a nice combo for a PC.
Someone say my name Joe....LOL!!!! :D:D:p:D:D BTW, thought the BMR's are nearly $1600 now due to the cabinets, no? I could be wrong. Sure would NOT be the first time....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Most of the times i will stand in front of my computer when listening to music, but something i go around the house and listen from 25ft away when i'm in the kitchen.

I'm very picky about the visual look of the speakers as they will be standing in front of my eyes around 10 hours per day (i work at home with the computer). So i want something that looks good on my desk (non-glossy black oak would be perfect).

• budget is around 1500$
If you're picky about the visuals, and want to save a ton of the $1500 budget, consider the HiVi M50w. Good looks + good sound + low price = hard to beat combination. But you already know that, given I made the exact same suggestion in one of your many other threads scattered about various HT forums. ;)

K

kyzer soze

Enthusiast
Are you open to spending a little less on speakers and doing Bookshelfs & a sub?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis