10k budget for mains

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
I live in Toronto so Detroit is a possibility. It's just on the other side of Toronto.

You feel the Wilson's were bright eh? I see the sophia 2s used for $8500. But they are too far to go and see.

I just looked at the Salk website and they are some sensitive speakers. Do you think would be able to fill a room about 20 X 30 feet?

If I consider the exchange rate and duties.... the 12k US SS10 is about 15000k CAD.... ouch!
Back up earlier in the thread I linked a used pair of Salk SoundScape 10's. Jim took them in on trade and he will guarantee they are like new with no flaws in the veneer or the drivers. The 10's are a lot more speaker than my HT-3's and my HT-3's will play as loud in my room as I would ever want. And I like mine loud. Former Klipsch Forte / Cornwall guy. They are exceptional without a sub. With the sub taking over below 40hz, well, objects move around on my mantle during movies. My room is 25' x 35' with a 12' ceiling. But, you will need some power to drive them.

Look, don't get the idea I work for Salk or get any benefit from any sales he makes. It is just so rare in this business to find guys who spend a LOT of money on the components inside the speaker, then spend a LOT of money on the cabinet and finish it with expensive wood veneers and do all of that right here in the US...what can I say. That kind of company will get my business and my support.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Back up earlier in the thread I linked a used pair of Salk SoundScape 10's. Jim took them in on trade and he will guarantee they are like new with no flaws in the veneer or the drivers. The 10's are a lot more speaker than my HT-3's and my HT-3's will play as loud in my room as I would ever want. And I like mine loud. Former Klipsch Forte / Cornwall guy. They are exceptional without a sub. With the sub taking over below 40hz, well, objects move around on my mantle during movies. My room is 25' x 35' with a 12' ceiling. But, you will need some power to drive them.

Look, don't get the idea I work for Salk or get any benefit from any sales he makes. It is just so rare in this business to find guys who spend a LOT of money on the components inside the speaker, then spend a LOT of money on the cabinet and finish it with expensive wood veneers and do all of that right here in the US...what can I say. That kind of company will get my business and my support.
Yea I saw the post you made and checked it out. I have a 300W Mcintosh so that should do.

Used is def the way to go...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I live in Toronto so Detroit is a possibility. It's just on the other side of Toronto.
I'm glad I thought of that. When it comes to recommending Salk speakers and doing business with Jim Salk, I'm just like Don G., I can't say enough good things about him and his products. And we aren't the only ones like that :).
You feel the Wilson's were bright eh? I see the sophia 2s used for $8500. But they are too far to go and see.
I didn't like them at all. It took me 5-10 seconds to know that for certain.
I just looked at the Salk website and they are some sensitive speakers. Do you think would be able to fill a room about 20 X 30 feet?
Yes, I can easily imagine any of the speakers I mentioned above working in a room that large. (That amp you got could do well with those.) Ask Jim about that as he can help you decide which model might suit you well. He doesn't over-sell his largest and most expensive models if a customer could better use something smaller or less expensive.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I'm glad I thought of that. When it comes to recommending Salk speakers and doing business with Jim Salk, I'm just like Don G., I can't say enough good things about him and his products. And we aren't the only ones like that :).
I didn't like them at all. It took me 5-10 seconds to know that for certain.
Yes, I can easily imagine any of the speakers I mentioned above working in a room that large. (That amp you got could do well with those.) Ask Jim about that as he can help you decide which model might suit you well. He doesn't over-sell his largest and most expensive models if a customer could better use something smaller or less expensive.
Nice! Have you heard the Legacy Focus SE? If so, can you compare?

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Yea I saw the post you made and checked it out. I have a 300W Mcintosh so that should do.

Used is def the way to go...
I always wanted a McIntosh amp, I just never was willing to plop down the money. I think they are some of the best looking and sounding amps in the market. Maybe after I digest my speaker purchase and get my new pre-pro in and running I will take another look.

Enjoy whatever you get and get what sounds good to you. You are the only one you have to please (unless there is a WAF consideration :eek:).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! Have you heard the Legacy Focus SE? If so, can you compare?
I have heard one of those large Legacy models in the past, but I'm not certain it was that model. It was also at an audio show in a hotel, and all I can remember is that I wasn't impressed enough to remember them well. Sorry I can't say anything more, but going to those audio shows made me a very tough customer.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I always wanted a McIntosh amp, I just never was willing to plop down the money. I think they are some of the best looking and sounding amps in the market. Maybe after I digest my speaker purchase and get my new pre-pro in and running I will take another look.

Enjoy whatever you get and get what sounds good to you. You are the only one you have to please (unless there is a WAF consideration :eek:).
Picked up an MC302 for 4000K CAN. It was in perfect condition 6 years old.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I have heard one of those large Legacy models in the past, but I'm not certain it was that model. It was also at an audio show in a hotel, and all I can remember is that I wasn't impressed enough to remember them well. Sorry I can't say anything more, but going to those audio shows made me a very tough customer.
Hm! Interesting to hear. Thanks for passing on your impression.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
If I consider the exchange rate and duties.... the 12k US SS10 is about 15000k CAD.... ouch!
Do you have to pay duty if you go buy/pick them up in Detroit and bring them home yourself?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since you are in Canada, you might audition Funk Audio speakers also. I have compared the Funk bookshelf to speakers like Philharmonic 3 (similar to Salk towers), Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2. They all sounded great. I wouldn't say one tweeter or midrange sounded "better" than the others.

Great sounding speakers sound great, and they sound a lot more alike/similar than they sound differently. Well, okay, except for speakers like line-array, bipolar, electrostatic speakers that may have a bigger/wider soundstage.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Do you have to pay duty if you go buy/pick them up in Detroit and bring them home yourself?
Oh yea! Duty depends on how much time you spend in the country. 48 hrs is only a couple hundred dollars duty free.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This would be fun to listen to!
Words MASSIVE OVERKILL don't even begin to describe OBSCENE levels of volume you could get from these...

but Seriously - Funk makes some very fine products. You won't have to pay duty taxes and support local economy :)

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Words MASSIVE OVERKILL don't even begin to describe OBSCENE levels of volume you could get from these...

but Seriously - Funk makes some very fine products. You won't have to pay duty taxes and support local economy :)
I bet they are nice but I can't spend 15k on speakers that I've never heard before.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I would check out Coincident Technology Super Victory II speakers. Made in Canada $9999. 92.5 db at 8 ohms. They can be placed as close as 18" from the back wall. See if any Canadian dealers sell them locally.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
I bet they are nice but I can't spend 15k on speakers that I've never heard before.
FYI, we offer no cost in home demo of the 6.1P's, and we do have a few customers around who are willing to demo their systems so depending on where you are and what your looking at getting you may be able to listen before you buy.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
FYI, we offer no cost in home demo of the 6.1P's, and we do have a few customers around who are willing to demo their systems so depending on where you are and what your looking at getting you may be able to listen before you buy.
I definitely would go demo them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis