M

maha

Audiophyte
We are remodeling and will have the following setup:

Living Room:
* Two free-standing speakers in the front (important for music/stereo listening)
* One center speaker on the wall. Since it needs to be small I decided on the KEF T301c
* Four in-ceiling surround speakers

Bedroom/Common Room:
* Stereo in-ceiling speakers

I think for the surround sound speakers I will go with the KEF Ci160QR to "match" the KEF T301c. However, I am unsure about what to chose for the bedrooms/common room. I read some pretty good reviews about the Polk 700-LS which might provide some more coverage in the lower frequencies. This is kind of important as in these areas there is no subwoofer to support that range. What is your opinion?

Also would you consider using the Polk for the surrounds? Surrounds are really more supplemental (of course still important) so I am not sure it's really important to match them with the front and center speaker. They also don't have a lot of dialogue or other sound where precise higher frequencies are that important and the lower range of the Polk might be more beneficial. Or am I off base?

For your information, I like more neutral sound with good but not boomy bass. My favorite headphones are Sennheiser which kind of reflect this.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want small speaker that has nice sound quality and bass take a look on KEF LS50. I have been surprised by their performance when I have heard them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't believe you've mentioned a getting a subwoofer for low frequencies. This is important for movie watching.

You probably cannot escape the need for one.

What is your budget? The nice thing about KEF (in addition to the sound) is that in the Q series and R series you have a lot of choices in floorstanding speakers and stand mount speakers, all of which can be had in gloss black or white as well as wood finishes.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
KEF and Polk are NOT in the same league of quality. Buy KEF and don't look back!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I do agree that most KEF speakers offer higher sound quality than most Polk, though also agree that once you get into Polk's higher end products they are very competitive. The higher cost of KEF is why they retain higher value. Even Polk's LSi series doesn't seem to command much respect on the used market, so as long as they're bought to keep it's no problem.

While I endorse KEF, listening to both would be advised before making a decision if at all possible. If it's the LSi703 stand mount in consideration (street price about $1500 a pair), then the only KEF at that same point would be the much touted LS50. It won't have the bass response of the Polk, but blows the Polk away in every other area. A subwoofer would be required. Jumping up $300 to the KEF R300, the Polk LSi703 has met it's match in every way except price. For a lot of music, a sub might not be needed.

M

maha

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the responses. It seems my question wasn't precise enough, hence here is some additional info.

* I currently have Mission floorstanding speakers. Due to budget reasons I have to stick with those for now. However, I will eventually replace them.
* There will be a subwoofer for the living room where we will watch movies.
* I am somewhat set on the KEF T301c due to the small/flat size as it will be wall mounted (unless you have other suggestions)

My question was mainly regarding the 4 in-ceiling speakers for the surround in the living room and 2 in-ceiling speakers per additional room (where there will be no sub) for somewhat casual music listening. The only two reasons I am considering the Polk 700-LS is

a) they are rather small due to the way they position the woofer
b) based on comments I heard they go lower than most other in-ceiling speakers of similar size (though I am not sure I can trust the reviews I read too much)

My budget is less than $200 per in-ceiling speaker, i.e. less than $400/pair. I can get the Polk 700-LS and KEF Ci160QR for around $300/pair.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Try to go out and hear as much as you can before you go cutting holes in your ceiling for ANY speaker.

For surround sound applications, any type of in-ceiling speaker is the least ideal. I know many people have to do it for one reason or another, so the best thing you can do is hear it before you install it!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I agree, ceiling speakers are best left to "public address" applications or a well designed Atmos installation, and little else.

Even in-wall speakers for surrounds would be a better choice, though placement is more critical as you can't easily give them any toe-in (or out.) Dispersion must be paramount.

M

maha

Audiophyte
I certainly would love to hear the speakers before I buy them. I have a bunch of monoprice speakers incl. the new carbon fiber speakers, some polk speakers, etc. which I tested with a back enclosure. However, there are still too many variables not to mention that they didn't sound good (they are definitely not under consideration anymore).

Now finding a place where I can audit the KEF and Polk has been unsuccessful. Not to mention a place that has both speakers to do an A/B comparison. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to order a set of each and do a comparison which is why I was hoping to get some input here.

"KenM10759" said "even in-wall speakers for surrounds would be a better choice". Why is an in-wall speaker better than an in-ceiling speaker? Wouldn't an in-ceiling be better as there is more "back enclosure" volume? In any case, in-wall won't work for me because I don't have a wall on one side (unfortunately, it's just a living room setup and not a movie theater room).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Where are you located? If in the USA, have you tried KEF's search function?

http://www.kef.com/common/find_a_retailer.aspx?cid=6

As for ceiling versus wall speakers, it's all about the source and direction. Music (or sounds in general) coming from a wall speaker don't sound unlike that from a free standing speaker. From a ceiling speaker, it always sounds like the "voice of God."

KEF does couple of ceiling speakers that swing out and down when in use to reduce the effect, the Ci200.3QT and the Ci3-80QT. There are many other companies making similar, though most are permanently fixed to the ceiling at an angle.

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/custom_installed_speakers/ci_series/speaker/index.html#filter=198&page=1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis