Amp recommendations for Wharfedale Jade 3 speakers

J

jremsen

Audioholic Intern
I have a new pair of Wharfedale Jade 3 loudspeakers on Wharfedale stands that I "broke in" for some 60 hours situated in my TV room (an extension measuring 24 X 14) though they are mostly used for music listening. I am not using a subwoofer because these speakers reach down into the 30 Hz range and that is sufficient for my musical tastes. I am currently running them with a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 rated at 100 watts per channel that came with a virtual surround mode that sounds sweet and they seem to be very musical but I know that with the right power amp or integrated amp these great speakers will really sing. I have considered an Outlaw 5000 amp, Peachtree Nova 150, Anthem I-225, etc. but I am not sure which is best for these 3-way large bookshelf loudspeakers. Thank you in advance for all responding members.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a new pair of Wharfedale Jade 3 loudspeakers on Wharfedale stands that I "broke in" for some 60 hours situated in my TV room (an extension measuring 24 X 14) though they are mostly used for music listening. I am not using a subwoofer because these speakers reach down into the 30 Hz range and that is sufficient for my musical tastes. I am currently running them with a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 rated at 100 watts per channel that came with a virtual surround mode that sounds sweet and they seem to be very musical but I know that with the right power amp or integrated amp these great speakers will really sing. I have considered an Outlaw 5000 amp, Peachtree Nova 150, Anthem I-225, etc. but I am not sure which is best for these 3-way large bookshelf loudspeakers. Thank you in advance for all responding members.
Of the amp you listed, the Anthem should be powerful enough. Any reputable class A/B 200W/300W PC (8ohm/4ohm) amp should be able to do the job. By the way, you should add a sub, those little speakers don't have much below 40 Hz and are not capable of playing too loud anyway below 45 Hz.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know from where you that 30 hz figure.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=5

But, while I like 6.5" systems, no matter how good they are, they do have physical limitations as to just how much bass a woofer that size can pump out into a room that size. The laws of physics must be obeyed. Get a subwoofer.

Likewise, that "virtual surround" mode can and does have adverse affects on the sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis