sonus faber olympica iii vs revel studio 2

B

bsf

Audioholic
Best Buy had them for $9k/PR but they said 10% off is standard. They'll probably do 20% from what I understand. Too expensive for me right now, but they sounded better than the series above them. I'd definitely recommend swinging by magnolia and listening to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10% off the 9k? What makes you think they would do 20% off the 9k, that would be right in my range.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Are you thinking about replacing the Studio2 that you just recently bought or adding the Sonus Faber?

I personally think both are overpriced; I personally think all Passive towers over $3K are overpriced.

And I don't see any gain going from the Studio2 to the Sonus Faber.

That is just my opinion.
This. I agree 100%. All towers over 3K is a waste of money lol. I have yet to hear a better sounding speaker for 3K than my new signatures anyway.......

B

bsf

Audioholic
This. I agree 100%. All towers over 3K is a waste of money lol. I have yet to hear a better sounding speaker for 3K than my new signatures anyway.......
Technically you could say that for anything in life... most things anyone spend money on is a waste of money... There is a youtube video of a 85 year old women test driving a Ferrari and a Ford Taurus; she picked the Taurus because it was a smoother ride.

I do agree once you start spending over 3-5k for speakers you get very little improvement .

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Which speaker do you own?
BTW i got a chance to listen the 802d3's(connected to 30k worth of mcintosh equipment) the other day. Nice speaker but a total waste of money imo. My signatures could definately compete with them.......i didn't hear anything special(nor was i blown away). That's why i agree with the statement acudeftechguy made.....

Last edited:
M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Technically you could say that for anything in life... most things anyone spend money on is a waste of money... There is a youtube video of a 85 year old women test driving a Ferrari and a Ford Taurus; she picked the Taurus because it was a smoother ride.

I do agree once you start spending over 3-5k for speakers you get very little improvement .
That really does not apply here, because the expensive speakers don't really do anything better. The ferrrari is a world class sports with top tier handling braking and speed...... the expensive speakers don't do anything really better IMO. the cabinets are nice, but my R55ti's and signatures look great also.....

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
That really does not apply here, because the expensive speakers don't really do anything better. The ferrrari is a world class sports with top tier handling braking and speed...... the expensive speakers don't do anything really better IMO. the cabinets are nice, but my R55ti's and signatures look great also.....
You really think that the signature and the r55ti, $700/ea and $350/ea, can compare to a B&W 804D3 at $9k/PR? I've heard speakers that are at various different price points and I can tell you without any doubt that those high end speakers sound completely different from less expensive speakers. I understand when you are comparing in a similar price point but comparing your two speakers to the 804d3 is not even in the same class.

Any one else have thoughts on this?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Living with Revel Salon 2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1 and Philharmonic 3 for a couple of years and then comparing them to other speakers was a very expensive education for me. :eek: :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You really think that the signature and the r55ti, $700/ea and $350/ea, can compare to a B&W 804D3 at $9k/PR? I've heard speakers that are at various different price points and I can tell you without any doubt that those high end speakers sound completely different from less expensive speakers. I understand when you are comparing in a similar price point but comparing your two speakers to the 804d3 is not even in the same class.

When I auditioned the B&W 803D2, 804D2, & 805D2, I didn't think much of them.

Actually, I didn't think that much of the 800D2 and 802D2 either. But somehow I kept on coming back to the B&W dealer over and over again like an insane person and convinced myself that the 802D2 was worth my money.

One fact that always bothered me was that speakers like the r55ti & Infinity P362 measured much better than the 800D & 802D in terms of on-axis and off-axis frequency responses.

Bottom line is, bias is astronomical. But the heart wants what the heart wants. If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad, as long as you have plenty of money. :D

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern

To answer your question. YES I DO. BTW i actually heard the 802d3's which are 22k a pair connected to 30k on mcintosh electronics. I used my exact same complex recordings i used at home with my speakers and yes the R55ti's and signatures can compete no doubt.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To answer your question. YES I DO. BTW i actually heard the 802d3's which are 22k a pair connected to 30k on mcintosh electronics. I used my exact same complex recordings i used at home with my speakers and yes the R55ti's and signatures can compete no doubt.
So the 802D3 are now really $22K per pair ? Dang. :eek:

Definitely not good considering the Salon2 (which most people consider better) is $22K. The Studio 2 is like $14K/pair? Yeah, I don't see the 802D3 being better than the Studio 2.

Exorbitant.

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern

Definitely not good considering the Salon2 (which most people consider better) is $22K. The Studio 2 is like $14K/pair? Yeah, I don't see the 802D3 being better than the Studio 2.

Exorbitant.
The 804d3 pair I heard was $9k/pr

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern

Exorbitant.
The 804d3 pair I heard was $9k/pr

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
805 D3 stand-mount monitors ($6,000 per pair), and the 802 D3 towers ($22,000 per pair)
803D3 is 17,000 per pair. 804D3 is $9000 per pair.......

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!

B

bsf

Audioholic
805 D3 stand-mount monitors ($6,000 per pair), and the 802 D3 towers ($22,000 per pair)

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!

I don know about that GENE seemed to like them

gene posts on September 24, 2015 18:31
It looks like B&W really worked on fixing resonances (something Dr. Floyd Toole talked about in his book on the old 800 series). The cabinets seem far more rigid and especially NOT using Kevlar cone material any more is a BIG improvement in my book. I'm curious to hear the 805s in a small room to see if they will just disappear like the best of the best bookshelf speakers can do exceedingly well.
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/b-w-800-series-diamond-loudspeakers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!
They sound great to me and I am sure I am not the only one who would love to waste money on them.:D I do prefer the KEF blades but the 802 diamonds are not far behind.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis