S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently had to seek out someone to "professionally" refoam my JBL L100t3's. The job is being done by the Speaker Exchange in Tampa, FL. At any rate, this need to refoam has caused me to think about perhaps upgrading my speakers. After all, my JBL's are 26 plus years old. But here's the rub: My L100t's cost $1400 for the pair back in 1989; and today, used, in mint condition, as mine are, they still sell for about $1400. So, considering that anything new from JBL today akin to what I've got cost almost $15,000, and seem to only play a little louder than my speakers, I'm thinking, since I have no need for louder, I might just continue to enjoy what I've got. Makes me wonder what other folks think about JBL's then and now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What do I think about JBLs now and then? I think JBL might not make speakers like this anymore:

But they should!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
We have some JBL L100t3s at work right now. I actually had a thread about them just a couple weeks ago. If you like how they sound I suggest you keep them, especially after just getting them refoamed. They'll have another 25 years or so of faithful service.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I am hoping to hear a demo of the new JBL horns this year, and from what I am told, they 'finally' got the math right which means near-perfect dispersion and flat response well beyond the drivers operational range.

Still a bit skeptical though considering the absurd price tag!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
...they 'finally' got the math right which means near-perfect dispersion and flat response well beyond the drivers operational range.
Unpossible! (Enjoy the demo. The big JBL rigs with all their proprietary speaker/room correction trickery dialed in are pretty impressive.)

I just dug a trio of Pro III out of the speaker/gear dungeon. They're the same model that Gene wrote an article about on rehabbing old speakers a couple years ago. We just happen to need some beater utility speakers, so I'll be bringing them back to life tonight (replacement drivers just arrived today). I think one still has the original foam intact, so hopefully it will withstand a few sweeps for measurements before turning to dust, for some before and after comparison.

Last edited:
DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
The Array series, with their vertical horns are reported to be superb. As are the M2 Reference Monitors.

But upgrading older JBLs is also doable. In particular if you are into building new XOs. Building biased XOs is the way to go, if the speakers in question are worth the cost.
Upgrading speakers to be time aligned is another option to be added.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis