Sony Core Wow!!!!!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here are the differences I see:
Both the Marantz 5009 and 6009 have 7.1 RCA inputs (likely not an issue), Denon and Yamaha do not.
Yamaha does not have Audyssey DynamicEQ (but may have a capable Yamaha equivalent), also not sure how YPAO compares to Audyssey.
Denon and Marantz have pre-outs, Yamaha does not.
6009 has phono inputs

Curious why you decided on the 6009 over the 5009, the main difference I see is multi-room video.

As a rule, I agree with you. Denon offers more features and equal (or slightly better)power for the same money. I just like the port style of the Marantz:)!
Not sure why I chose the 6009 over the 5009. I think I liked the lay out better. But, if the 5009 is essentially the same I may opt for it instead. I will take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If you compare them carefully, you will see that the Denon X3100W is actually in between the Marantz SR-5009 and 6009. Denon squeezed in one model between the 3XXX and the top model and in doing so the newer 3XXX series seemed to have gone on a diet from the previous 3310-3313 CI. Going with the SR-5009 he won't be giving up any sound quality related features.

As I see it now, we should compare Denon and Marantz models as shown below:

X3100W to SR-5009 or 6009
X3200W to SR-5010 (X3200W list price $100 higher)
X4200W to SR-6010 (X4200W list price $100 higher, X4200W has the same AKM 4458 DAC as the SR-7010, not sure about what DACs in the SR-6010)
X5200W to SR-7009
X6200W to SR-7010
X7200W to AV-8802A (but that's apple to orange)
So, there really is NOT that much difference between the the 5009 and the 6009? BTW, I did call acc4less, but they were already closed. I will give them a call in the morning. See what the new ones are going for. Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here are the differences I see:
Both the Marantz 5009 and 6009 have 7.1 RCA inputs (likely not an issue), Denon and Yamaha do not.
Yamaha does not have Audyssey DynamicEQ (but may have a capable Yamaha equivalent), also not sure how YPAO compares to Audyssey.
Denon and Marantz have pre-outs, Yamaha does not.
6009 has phono inputs

Curious why you decided on the 6009 over the 5009, the main difference I see is multi-room video.

As a rule, I agree with you. Denon offers more features and equal (or slightly better)power for the same money. I just like the port style of the Marantz:)!
What do YOU mean port style? I am NOT concerned with pre-outs. I do prefer Audyssey over YPAO based on past experience in my room. Phono is of no concern for me either. The main thing going for the Yammie is the price. If I spend less on the avr, then I will have more for my sub(s). BTW, I do NOT care about Zone 2,3,4, and etc. either. My apartment is a (1) bedroom and pretty small.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Phil, if you are going to get a sub, I highly recommend you go with Audyssey. The SR-5009 costs $100 more than the Yamaha 740 but I thought you want to try Marantz this time. By the way, just to inspire some confidence, take a look of some nice integrated amps Denon is still making.

On the right is a 60 lbs 120W 8 ohms, 240W 4 ohms 2 channel amp:

Of course Marantz also makes high end integrated amps with comparable power output. In the end you can't really go wrong with Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. They all happen to be my favourite choices.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I noticed that the 5009 does NOT offer DSX. It does have PL IIz that will allow for front height speakers. However, both the 3100 and the 6009 offer DSX allowing for front height OR width speakers. The 5009 only allows for front height via PL IIz. Is having DSX really that much more beneficial? I have never experimented with any kind of front-stage enhancement. Is there a BIG difference expanding the height vs. the width? Given my size constraints, I don't see width doing much for me whereas the height may make a noticeable difference? I am fully aware that the Yammie 740 does NOT offer any of this. It looks like it is coming down to the SR5009 or the AVR-X3100W. I really like BOTH. But, the 3100 does offer DSX and PL IIz whereas the 5009 only offers PL IIz. Should that be a deal breaker? Thanks for all of your help guys. I am getting closer!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, if you are going to get a sub, I highly recommend you go with Audyssey. The SR-5009 costs $100 more than the Yamaha 740 but I thought you want to try Marantz this time. By the way, just to inspire some confidence, take a look of some nice integrated amps Denon is still making.

On the right is a 60 lbs 120W 8 ohms, 240W 4 ohms 2 channel amp:

Of course Marantz also makes high end integrated amps with comparable power output. In the end you can't really go wrong with Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. They all happen to be my favourite choices.:D
Oh man I am salivating here. One day hope to own something like that. But, on my Mickey Mouse budget I am trying to do the best I can for my money. Yes, I am very impressed!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The display window - I like the little circular window, and at the end of the day, these AVR's are so close, it becomes a factor for me, but that is personal taste:

Sure is unique. I kinda like it too....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks a lot. I am looking into this one. Would the 5009 be worth the extra $20? The 6009 really looks splendid but it is also $550. YOU think the 5008 is the better bargain?
I can not speak for you - however, I would spend $20 more for the 5009

With the Sony Core speakers, I would not be interested in going higher than the 5009

If you are really budget minded, then look at the Denon E400
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre400/denon-avr-e400-7.1-4k-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

Your call

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can not speak for you - however, I would spend $20 more for the 5009

With the Sony Core speakers, I would not be interested in going higher than the 5009

If you are really budget minded, then look at the Denon E400
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre400/denon-avr-e400-7.1-4k-3d-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

Your call
YOU do have a point. But, if I go the budget route I will no doubt get the Yammie 740. However, the 5009 looks very good but does not have DSX. Both the Denon 3100 and the 6009 do. That may be a deal breaker for me. I kinda want to enhance my front-stage since I have no room for expanding my rear-stage. My rears will be mounted on the back wall above my seating position. But, I do have the room to enhance my front-stage. Not really sure if the "width" will really add that much? The height has more of my attention. Of course, the 5009 does offer PL IIz. That may be enough. To be honest, I have never enhanced my front-stage so I am kind of in the dark so to speak on that one. Would it be a deal breaker to YOU?

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
But, the 3100 does offer DSX and PL IIz whereas the 5009 only offers PL IIz. Should that be a deal breaker? Thanks for all of your help guys. I am getting closer!

Cheers,

Phil
Someone else will need to help you with that. I just expanded to the basic 5 channels and think it will hold me for a while!!!
I would definitely spend $20 for the wi-fi on the 5009 over the 5008. If nothing else so the kids can cast their phone or tablet to the HT system!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice to see you picking out new gear. Phono and pre-outs count to me so the 6009 will do nicely if it's not too much trouble. Thanks for asking. That means a lot. :)

I'm still rockin' a 663 and I bet you anything my sister is still using hers. Just sayin' ... and they're wicked cheap. I think I talked KEW into one too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
YOU do have a point. But, if I go the budget route I will no doubt get the Yammie 740. However, the 5009 looks very good but does not have DSX. Both the Denon 3100 and the 6009 do. That may be a deal breaker for me. I kinda want to enhance my front-stage since I have no room for expanding my rear-stage. My rears will be mounted on the back wall above my seating position. But, I do have the room to enhance my front-stage. Not really sure if the "width" will really add that much? The height has more of my attention. Of course, the 5009 does offer PL IIz. That may be enough. To be honest, I have never enhanced my front-stage so I am kind of in the dark so to speak on that one. Would it be a deal breaker to YOU?
I do not enhance anything - if my speakers cannot cut it, then I fire them.

What you buy is up to you - for me with Yamaha, I aim from the 10XX series on up.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Someone else will need to help you with that. I just expanded to the basic 5 channels and think it will hold me for a while!!!
I would definitely spend $20 for the wi-fi on the 5009 over the 5008. If nothing else so the kids can cast their phone or tablet to the HT system!
I see. I am sure I will be more than happy with a 5.1/5.2 set up. But, I admit is also will be fun to experiment with both the height and width dimensions. See what works best for my needs. I do believe the height option will give me more of what I am looking for. Just really not enough room for the width to make much, if any at all, difference imho. I also agree, that the 5009 over the 5008. I have eliminated the 5008. So, now it is going budget (Yammie 740) or either the Denon 3100/Marantz 5009. I have also eliminated the 6009 because it would be really straining my budget. The 5009 is looking really good at this point. Thanks Kurt for all of your help.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice to see you picking out new gear. Phono and pre-outs count to me so the 6009 will do nicely if it's not too much trouble. Thanks for asking. That means a lot. :)

I'm still rockin' a 663 and I bet you anything my sister is still using hers. Just sayin' ... and they're wicked cheap. I think I talked KEW into one too.
Hello Alex. Good to see you are still around. Looks like the 6009 is a bit out of my budget. The 5009 is looking mighty good to me right now. But, the Denon 3100 is a better buy. Even the Yammie 740 looks good enough. Oh decisions decisions. Wish Mazer was still around.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Alex. Good to see you are still around. Looks like the 6009 is a bit out of my budget. The 5009 is looking mighty good to me right now. But, the Denon 3100 is a better buy. Even the Yammie 740 looks good enough. Oh decisions decisions. Wish Mazer was still around.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
I'm a die hard Yamaha fan so much so that I bought a used RX-V1500 for my second system upstairs. I still have my original RX-V1800 for my main system in the basement. I would stick with Yamaha since you had good luck with the old YPAO ( I do too btw) and its your cheapest option.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Glad to see you pop in here with some personal insights on the Sony/Pioneer/Polk/Bose speakers Phil.

Welcome back!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You didn't have a friend on a budget order a used one from eBay? I seem to recall posting the search results for you.
I have shlt for memory!:D

You are right. He lives in NC and I didn't buy it or set it up. He is happy with it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis