Sony Core Wow!!!!!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm a die hard Yamaha fan so much so that I bought a used RX-V1500 for my second system upstairs. I still have my original RX-V1800 for my main system in the basement. I would stick with Yamaha since you had good luck with the old YPAO ( I do too btw) and its your cheapest option.
YOU have a point here. I also am a BIG Yamaha fan. But, I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR5009 from acc4less. I called and asked if they had any new ones. A guy by the name Larry told me all of their receivers are refurbs. So after much thought, I decided on the SR5009. I so wanted the SR6009, but it was a bit out of my budget. The Denon 3100 really looked good too. But, the 5009 was just as good. Furthermore, I decide to get the Extended warranty for peace of mind. This is my first refurb. Hope it is a good investment for me.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also got another set of the Polk T-15's for my front height speakers. These will be very easy to mount on the walls. The T-15's really don't sound bad at all. BTW, can any of you give me some advice on where to place my front height speakers? I will only have a 5.1/5.2. My guess is that my height speakers need to be placed like my rears? Never added anything like front height speakers, so I really have no idea.

Cheers,

Phil

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
YOU have a point here. I also am a BIG Yamaha fan. But, I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR5009 from acc4less. I called and asked if they had any new ones. A guy by the name Larry told me all of their receivers are refurbs. So after much thought, I decided on the SR5009. I so wanted the SR6009, but it was a bit out of my budget. The Denon 3100 really looked good too. But, the 5009 was just as good. Furthermore, I decide to get the Extended warranty for peace of mind. This is my first refurb. Hope it is a good investment for me.

Cheers,

Phil
Congrats. Here's hoping it works in your favor. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also got another set of the Polk T-15's for my front height speakers. These will be very easy to mount on the walls. The T-15's really don't sound bad at all.
Do not be surprised if you find the T-15 lacking in air, compared to the Sony speakers.
Maybe it will work out for your needs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Do not be surprised if you find the T-15 lacking in air, compared to the Sony speakers.
Maybe it will work out for your needs.
Right-but given the Polks are only being used for rears and front height I am not worried too much. I am much more concerned with my FR,FL, and center. Hopefully, the Sony Core speakers will serve me well. Looking for some affordable stands for the Core bookshelf. I was thinking like 24" stands. YOU have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
http://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-BF24B-Inch-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5N/
http://smile.amazon.com/Sanus-NF24B-Natural-Foundations-bookshelf/dp/B00005USAV/

I have both the NF and BF series and prefer the NF. If you are handy and have the tools, time, and desire, you can build better stands for less :)
I like the BF series. Thanks for the link. Will certainly check them out. BTW, me build them....LOL???? Are you kidding? I burn water.......hahahahahahahah! Really, I am NOT very handy with tools. Wished I did have those skills though.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I see that Amazon also has the 31" stands. Would that be better than using 24" stands? I am not a real tall guy. What size would any of you recommend?

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you might end up with extended warranty. In the end, it is about your comfort zone, and $40 is not that much to pay.
Let us know how your a4l experience goes!
I must confess I am a bit quick to believe there is a defect on a refurbished, but thus far, it always has been user error:confused: (plus one factory reset when remote was not working consistent).

On stand height, it is 9.5" to the lower tweeter and 11.75" to the upper (super?) tweeter from the speaker bass. Measure your ear height (at LP) and subtract maybe 10.5" (split between the two tweeters), and that is the height you should shoot for. I would guess 31" to be closer unless you have the chairs you sink down into.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you might end up with extended warranty. In the end, it is about your comfort zone, and $40 is not that much to pay.
Let us know how your a4l experience goes!
I must confess I am a bit quick to believe there is a defect on a refurbished, but thus far, it always has been user error:confused: (plus one factory reset when remote was not working consistent).

On stand height, it is 9.5" to the lower tweeter and 11.75" to the upper (super?) tweeter from the speaker bass. Measure your ear height (at LP) and subtract maybe 10.5" (split between the two tweeters), and that is the height you should shoot for. I would guess 31" to be closer unless you have the chairs you sink down into.
Yeah, I decided to get the warranty. I will be sure to share my experience with acc4less. I think I am going to put the Sony's on 31" stands. When I auditioned them, they were higher up on a shelf than the Core towers. Their imaging capabilities are outstanding. Will order them later. Thanks Kurt once again for all of your help.

Cheers,

Phil

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of the Sony Core bookshelf speakers, and I really like them. I know that others like them too. Peace and goodwill.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of the Sony Core bookshelf speakers, and I really like them. I know that others like them too. Peace and goodwill.
Yeah, it seems the Sony Core speakers don't get a lot of love on various forums. Like you, I really like them. The towers are also very good. But, to me the Core bookshelf just sounded better. Imaging is superb on the bookshelf.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
UPDATE: Folks, I have decided that I am going in a different direction. Came across some Polk Rti's that I just could NOT pass up. Yes, they cost me a bit more, but it is easily worth it to me. I will have the RTi6's as my fronts, the CSi3 and my center, and the RTi4's as rears. I will also use the Polk T-15's for front presence speakers. Very happy with my decision.

I still believe the Sony Core speakers are really good. The Core Bookshelf is the best of the bunch. To be honest, I was a little concerned about the Core center with only 4" mids and no super tweeter. Have owned the Polks before and loved them. Feels good being back into the game. Thanks once again for everyone who offered their time and their advice.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have never listened to the Polk Rti series. I'll have to keep an eye out for them!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have never listened to the Polk Rti series. I'll have to keep an eye out for them!
Kurt, they are a tad forward maybe even a little bright from what I remember. But, I like that sound. The deal was just too good to pass up. I did spend a little more money, but I think I made the right decision.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hahahaha......funny YOU mention that Kurt. That is exactly where they are coming from. Both the RTi6's AND the RTi4's in Cherry. The CSi3 is coming from the Polk Audio Ebay Store. Should have them soon. I got my Marantz AVR this morning. Hope to have the Rythmik L12 soon enough. It may actually be a few weeks before I get it. But, it will be worth it in the end. I may just go ahead an order another L12.....LOL!!!! It all depends on my finances like always. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hahahaha......funny YOU mention that Kurt. That is exactly where they are coming from. Both the RTi6's AND the RTi4's in Cherry. The CSi3 is coming from the Polk Audio Ebay Store. Should have them soon. I got my Marantz AVR this morning. Hope to have the Rythmik L12 soon enough. It may actually be a few weeks before I get it. But, it will be worth it in the end. I may just go ahead an order another L12.....LOL!!!! It all depends on my finances like always. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Phil
Glad you got the 6s when you did. It looks like they are out of the cherry ones now.
Did you already buy the Sony's from best buy? Any chance of a comparo?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Glad you got the 6s when you did. It looks like they are out of the cherry ones now.
Did you already buy the Sony's from best buy? Any chance of a comparo?
Yeah, I took the Sony Core speakers back to BB today. I am still very impressed with them for the money. But, I really loved my Polk RTi6's, CSi3, and the RTi4's when I had them. The CSi5 center might have been the better route to go, but just did NOT want to spend that much. Heck, I was thinking about going and getting the Sony Core towers earlier today. That is, until I came across these Polks. Just too good of a deal to pass up.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis