Sony Core Wow!!!!!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, it has been a good while since I last posted here. Been surfing some of the various threads that interest me. Have had to go to my local BB a lot lately. While there I took some time to check out some of their home audio sections. In doing so, I came across their speaker sections.

As usual, I see that BB still carried the Klipsch speakers. Also recognized the Andrew Jones speakers as well. Not too sure why the demo area(s) have been moved out into the main floor? My local BB used to have a theater demo room. Anyways, I decided to take a much closer look and listen to what they had. Last I remember the AJ speakers sounded quite good.

Not sure what is really going on, but the AJ tower and bookshelf for the lack of a better word sounded veiled, boxy/tiny, and rather constrained. I decided at that point to find out why. The BB guys told me their old theater demo room was highly treated which made a difference in the way the AJ speakers sounded. Out on the open floor, the AJ speakers did NOT sound very good to me like they had before.

I was able to demo the AJ towers against the Sony Core tower (SS-CS3) as they were positioned side by side. Right away, I noticed the Sony's sounded much better with more detail. The sound-stage was also wider with a crisp sounding orientation. Not bright or shrill, but smoother sounding. Really surprised that it was a Sony tower speaker! Nothing sounded veiled or constrained at all. The Sony Core tower easily passed the knuckle test.

The Klipschs were exactly as I remembered them to be. That being, forward in presentation and very bright sounding. Just have never cared for that kind of sound presentation. As such, as far as the towers on hand to demo the Sony Core tower easily won hands down in MY book.

Later, I decided to take a closer look at the bookshelf speakers on hand. I started with the AJ bookshelf. Not surprisingly, it sounded even more veiled than the AJ tower. Very boxy/tiny with a very small sound-stage and very constrained. Not impressed at all. I did like the Klipsch 5 1/4 " bookshelf for some reason. Perhaps, Klipsch has made some nice improvements in their bookshelf designs? But also they are $250 a set NOT $143!

The Polk and Bose were well you know---not so good either. That left me with the Sony Core bookshelf (SS-CS5). Again, right off the bat I was blown away. Very detailed, clear and crisp. Imaging was superb even to the Sony Core tower. The sound-stage was rather large and very balanced for a small speaker. Have never heard a set of $143 bookshelfs sound this good! Even the bass was punchy and tight! WOW!

The excitement in me grew as I listened to the Sony Core center (SS-CS8) along with the Sony Core towers AND then with the Sony Core bookshelf. I really wanted to like the towers more, but I much preferred the bookshelf and center combination. What did I do at that point you ask? Lets just say I bought the SS-CS5 bookshelf and the SS-CS8 center. Plan to go back tomorrow and buy another set of the bookshelfs while they are only $143 a set!

Suffice it to say I am now back into the game. Only have the room for a 5.2 set-up as I reside in a small apartment. Will be ordering me an AVR and at least (1) small sub. Eventually, I hope to have (2) subs. More on that later. Just curios to know if anyone here also finds the Sony Core speakers amazing for the money? I sure have!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone here checked out the Sony Core speakers? I am still amazed how good they sound for the money. Don't get me wrong, the Sony Core speakers are not the end all for budget speakers. However, I do believe for the money they can hold their own. For example, I like the Core tower much better than the Infinity P362's I used to own. The P363 had more low end, but not nearly as balanced as the Sony Core tower. The top end on the Core tower also is much more detailed and smooth. The P362 could get a little harsh on the top end at times even at moderate volumes. Just curious is anyone here has had a chance to check them out? I highly recommend you do if YOU are looking at buying some new speakers.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I agree 100%. Had to go back to my local BB today for a return. While there, I took another listen to the Sony Core towers and bookshelfs. A big part of me wanted to buy a set of the towers. After listening to both for a good little while I concluded that I much preferred the bookshelfs. But, getting another set of the bookshelfs presented another problem for me to solve. That is, the bookshelfs are rear ported!

My seating position is directly up against the wall which leaves no room to position my rears slightly behind the seating position. Even putting my rears on stands will result in the same exact problem. As such, my rears will have to go up on the wall. The Sony Core bookshelf is not small either.

While looking around, I seen a set of Polk T-15's priced $100 a set. After looking at some receivers, I noticed a sign that had the Polk T-15's for only $50. That inspired me to go take a closer look at them. To be honest, the Polks did not sound bad at all. At times, the Polks even sounded decent. At $50 a set, I would call it a true bargain. When I looked on the back of the T-15's, there was a key-hole slot. I decided at that time to take them home. The Polks will be easy to put on the walls as they are smaller and lighter than the Core bookshelfs. It became a win win for me at that point.

So, it looks like I will have the Sony Core SS-CS5 bookshelfs with the matching Sony Core SS-CS8 center channel for my front-stage. My rears will be the Polk T-15's on the walls above my seated position. Lets see, the Sony Core bookshelf were $143 for the set and only $82 for the matching center due to an open box buy. Finally, the rears only cost me another $50 which will easily mount on my walls. According to my math that totals only $294.25 cents with tax! Not bad if I say so myself!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I really wanted to like the towers more, but I much preferred the bookshelf and center combination.
Hey Phil,
Zieglj has been singing the praises of the Sony Core series (for those willing to spend a bit over the Pioneers) for awhile! I think Sony introduced these as a response to the Pioneers (but they lacked the marketing of the Andrew Jones Pioneers).
I had a somewhat similar experience with the Energy RC series. I bought a pair of the larger floorstander Energy RC-70's and a pair of the RC-10's to take home and demo. I was surprised (and somewhat disappointed) to find the RC-10's seemed to hit harder than the floorstanders! i thought they might be tighter due to lower cabinet resonances (and they were), but I figured more drivers would deliver more punch in the upper bass range. Don't know why, but I heard a touch of the opposite. Of course the RC-70's beat the RC-10s at volumes that pushed the RC-10.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil,
Zieglj has been singing the praises of the Sony Core series (for those willing to spend a bit over the Pioneers) for awhile! I think Sony introduced these as a response to the Pioneers (but they lacked the marketing of the Andrew Jones Pioneers).
I had a somewhat similar experience with the Energy RC series. I bought a pair of the larger floorstander Energy RC-70's and a pair of the RC-10's to take home and demo. I was surprised (and somewhat disappointed) to find the RC-10's seemed to hit harder than the floorstanders! i thought they might be tighter due to lower cabinet resonances (and they were), but I figured more drivers would deliver more punch in the upper bass range. Don't know why, but I heard a touch of the opposite. Of course the RC-70's beat the RC-10s at volumes that pushed the RC-10.
Yeah, that is exactly what happened yet again today when I listened to both the Core tower and the Core bookshelf. There was no question that the Core bookshelf sounded much better. That is, the imaging was superb AND the upper mid-bass was punchier/articulate. Even the low end sounded more defined.

Now I need an AVR. Looking at the Marantz 1506, Marantz 1606, Denon AVR-X2200W, and the Yammy RX-679. All from accessories4less.com. Also highly considering the Sony STR-DN1060 as it has gotten a lot of good reviews. Just today, I could have gotten an open box Onkyo TX-NR646 for $450. But, I declined because the dreadful HDMI board concerns as well as not using Audyssey. Not too sure about the "EasyEQ" thing.

Right now I am leaning more towards the Marantz 1506 as I can get for $420 with free shipping and a (3) year warranty. But, I can get the Marantz 1606 for only $80 more with free shipping and a (3) year warranty. Did I mess up declining the open box Onkyo for $450 plus tax?

The only reason I am looking at the Sony 1060 is because I like the looks of it and how much progress Sony has made regarding home audio/theater. It is also in my price range. Wanted to bring home the 1060 today while I was at BB. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Great to see you back, Phil! I'm glad that you're liking your new Sony's so much.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Great to see you back, Phil! I'm glad that you're liking your new Sony's so much.
Thanks Adam. Not really enjoying my new speakers just yet. Need a new AVR. I know YOU are partial to the Pioneers. Just recently found out that Onkyo bought all of Pioneer's home audio. Curious to see what happens to Pioneer now. The same for Onkyo. Interesting times........LOL!!!! Hope YOU are well my friend!

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
We all have different perspectives... I would not put such a premium on the 3 year warranty, partly because I have had such good luck with refurbs from A4L and partly knowing that electronics follow a bathtub curve for reliability (will generally fail very soon or last a good while):

I see these as the best deals on A4L:
NR1605 for $330
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1605/marantz-nr1605-7.1-slim-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay-sale-reduced-70/1.html

SR5009 for $420
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2ch-100wpc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bt/airplay-sale-reduced-80/1.html

The 5009 gets you a robust amp section with 100WPC and the cool port design (I like it, anyway), but you may be committed to the slim models.

I cannot speak to the Sony.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
We all have different perspectives... I would not put such a premium on the 3 year warranty, partly because I have had such good luck with refurbs from A4L and partly knowing that electronics follow a bathtub curve for reliability (will generally fail very soon or last a good while):

I see these as the best deals on A4L:
NR1605 for $330
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1605/marantz-nr1605-7.1-slim-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay-sale-reduced-70/1.html

SR5009 for $420
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2ch-100wpc-4k-receiver-wi-fi/bt/airplay-sale-reduced-80/1.html

The 5009 gets you a robust amp section with 100WPC and the cool port design (I like it, anyway), but you may be committed to the slim models.

I cannot speak to the Sony.
So, YOU are saying that the warranty is really no Big deal? I bought an old Onkyo many years ago that was a refurb. Never had any problems with it whatsoever. BTW, is the HDCP2.2 really all that important? I do NOT plan to upgrade my tv/blue-ray player any time soon. The Marantz 1605 is looking really good to me right now. Highly considering it, but it is NOT HDCP2.2 compliant. Is that a deal breaker? Wished someone here could tell me more about the Sony STR-DN1060. Read several reviews and they are quite good.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So, YOU are saying that the warranty is really no Big deal? I bought an old Onkyo many years ago that was a refurb. Never had any problems with it whatsoever. BTW, is the HDCP2.2 really all that important? I do NOT plan to upgrade my tv/blue-ray player any time soon. The Marantz 1605 is looking really good to me right now. Highly considering it, but it is NOT HDCP2.2 compliant. Is that a deal breaker? Wished someone here could tell me more about the Sony STR-DN1060. Read several reviews and they are quite good.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, please don't get the weak 1605, you deserve more power. Wait for the good deal of the X3100W to return and pounce on it. Call AF4L for the timing.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, please don't get the weak 1605, you deserve more power. Wait for the good deal of the X3100W to return and pounce on it. Call AF4L for the timing.
Peng,
How does the SR5009 for $420 compare to the 3100W when on sale?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Peng,
How does the SR5009 for $420 compare to the 3100W when on sale?
Very good question as I was pondering the very same question. I have NEVER owned a Marantz and have been always intrigued by them. Many proclaim the musical abilities of the Marantz. Since, I tend to favor music over ht, Marantz has MY attention. But, the reviews are so strong on the Sony STR-DN1060. I am torn on what to do. The Sony Core speakers have impressed me and perhaps so will the 1060.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well then I will say the SR5009 is probably a better deal!
Well, I have narrowed it down to (3) receivers. They are as follows:

Yammie RX-A740 for $320 and free shipping.
Denon AVR-X3100W for $450 and free shipping.
Marantz SR6009 for $550 and free shipping.

I seem to be on a mission to get great sound/performance w/o breaking the bank. As such, I am highly considering the Yammie 740. According to S&V, the RX-A730 had some dismal video issues. Just hope Yamaha addressed that with respect to the 740. Have had very good luck with YPAO in the past and that was w/o the RSC!

The Denon 3100 and the Marantz 6009 look to be merely the same receiver as far as features/power goes. However, many swear that the Marantz has a "warmer" sound signature. Never have owned a Marantz so I can NOT attest to that. But, I am very interested because I also place a lot of emphasis on my music listening. Have owned a Denon before and I absolutely loved it! It looks like the 3100 is the better deal over all here imho. The more I can save on an avr the more I will have to get a sub or two.

Lastly, if I get a refurb from acc4ss should I go ahead and get the extended warranty? It will cost an extra $40. Seems like a good idea to me. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
However, many swear that the Marantz has a "warmer" sound signature.
We are all subject to Placebo but some more so than others.:D I have several Marantz and Denon including separates and I can assure you such talks are baseless, well, except for the Placebo part. I can name a few friends around here who will validate such claims immediately but I am confident that in a blind test if you tell them the 3100 is the 5009, they will tell you it sounds warm and vice versa. You have to choose who you believe but science is on one side, not so much on the other. Why would people fall apart on blind tests? Why I would I and many others not be able to tell such amp sound signatures apart yet have no trouble telling speaker's sound signature apart, blind or sighted?

Never have owned a Marantz so I can NOT attest to that. But, I am very interested because I also place a lot of emphasis on my music listening. Have owned a Denon before and I absolutely loved it! It looks like the 3100 is the better deal over all here imho. The more I can save on an avr the more I will have to get a sub or two.
I can see that you are already conditioned to think Marantz would sound more musical, so I suggest you get the SR5009 because that way you will finally have a Marantz instead of another Denon, and will still be on budget. Chances are you will in fact enjoy the "warm sound" more, seriously, given the right conditions, Placebo effect can work well..:D There is nothing to lose!!

Lastly, if I get a refurb from acc4ss should I go ahead and get the extended warranty? It will cost an extra $40. Seems like a good idea to me. Any thoughts on that?
I am with Kurt on this one, i.e. the bath tub curve theory, so 1 year is good enough for me. Having said that, I don't buy refurbished, that's why I suggest you call AC4L about paying a little more for a brand new one with full Denon warranty, but it's your money.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here are the differences I see:
Both the Marantz 5009 and 6009 have 7.1 RCA inputs (likely not an issue), Denon and Yamaha do not.
Yamaha does not have Audyssey DynamicEQ (but may have a capable Yamaha equivalent), also not sure how YPAO compares to Audyssey.
Denon and Marantz have pre-outs, Yamaha does not.
6009 has phono inputs

Curious why you decided on the 6009 over the 5009, the main difference I see is multi-room video.

As a rule, I agree with you. Denon offers more features and equal (or slightly better)power for the same money. I just like the port style of the Marantz:)!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are the differences I see:
Both the Marantz 5009 and 6009 have 7.1 RCA inputs (likely not an issue), Denon and Yamaha do not.
Yamaha does not have Audyssey DynamicEQ (but may have a capable Yamaha equivalent), also not sure how YPAO compares to Audyssey.
Denon and Marantz have pre-outs, Yamaha does not.
6009 has phono inputs

Curious why you decided on the 6009 over the 5009, the main difference I see is multi-room video.

As a rule, I agree with you. Denon offers more features and equal (or slightly better)power for the same money. I just like the port style of the Marantz:)!
If you compare them carefully, you will see that the Denon X3100W is actually in between the Marantz SR-5009 and 6009. Denon squeezed in one model between the 3XXX and the top model and in doing so the newer 3XXX series seemed to have gone on a diet from the previous 3310-3313 CI. Going with the SR-5009 he won't be giving up any sound quality related features.

As I see it now, we should compare Denon and Marantz models as shown below:

X3100W to SR-5009 or 6009
X3200W to SR-5010 (X3200W list price $100 higher)
X4200W to SR-6010 (X4200W list price $100 higher, X4200W has the same AKM 4458 DAC as the SR-7010, not sure about what DACs in the SR-6010)
X5200W to SR-7009
X6200W to SR-7010
X7200W to AV-8802A (but that's apple to orange)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis