S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Every once in awhile I find a kick-ass tune that lets my subs rip, and I will share some of them here as I find them. I just found one that had a gob of bass and a nice bass line, it is a rework of the Halloween movie theme, which serves as a nice antidote to all the g*&@#&^ Christmas music at the moment. Here is it: Perturbator - Halloween Theme Rework

Here is a spectrogram of the bass line, and you can see a lot of bass energy which even dips below 30 Hz:

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Cool! Can you show frequency vs. time as well?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The spectrogram kind of shows that. Do you mean an FFT? Yes, I can do FFTs as well. What span of time do you want?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So sound level is represented by color, and time is on the vertical axis going from the top to the bottom? And frequency is the x-axis?
What are the units for the y-axis is that seconds?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So sound level is represented by color, and time is on the vertical axis going from the top to the bottom? And frequency is the x-axis?
What are the units for the y-axis is that seconds?
The vertical axis is, as you pointed out, time, but those numbers are just arbitrary units, and the whole graph there shows about 30 seconds or so of the tune. The horizontal axis is frequency, and if you look at the numbers on the bottom, it shows 10 on the far left and 100 on the right, and it is divided into logarithmic scale in divisions of 10, so what it is showing is 10 Hz to just over 200 Hz. The vertical white lines in the chart are 10 Hz divisions, so you can see the song has a very strong fundamental starting at 30 Hz which rises in the next three bars. Here is a quick pic to illustrate the frequencies since it is kind of hard to see:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was fooling around with the spectrogram a bit more. I will throw up a couple screenshots to help illustrate something about the spectrograms. This is a spectrogram of a full scale 30 Hz since wave depicted in a linear scale:

Now here is that same sound depicted by the spectrogram on a logarithmic scale:

If you look carefully, you will see that total available frequency band shown is 10 to 225 Hz in both pictures. The logarithmic scale really 'blows up' the presentation of deep bass, not that it is actually louder. When I look at stuff on the spectrogram, I am usually looking at what is happening in deep bass, and the logarithmic scale gives more detail there. Also, humans hear pitch more on a logarithmic scale than linear. It's not really inaccurate because more energy is needed to sustain the same SPL at longer wavelengths anyway. However, it might be easy to overestimate the amount of deep bass content from these pictures by just looking at logarithmic scales. Let's take another look at that chunk of track from the Halloween tune- but on a linear scale:

Compare that to the spectrogram from the first post. One thing about the linear scale is gives a clearer look at the harmonic relationships of the sound, since the energy bands on a linear scale are evenly spaced.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The spectrogram kind of shows that. Do you mean an FFT? Yes, I can do FFTs as well. What span of time do you want?

Yes, thank you. Fast fourier is what I meant. I'm still in my 'first year' of measurement taking...

And remind me of room dimensions and subwoof-age employed?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is a measurement of the recording itself, not of the playback in my room. However, if I did do a measurement in-room, it would look a lot like that (depending on how close the mic is to the subs and speakers). It wouldn't be as useful to anyone else though, since reflected energy in my room wouldn't be like yours or anyone else's room. But, just as an FYI, my room is a small room and I have two Hsu ULS-15s in near-field.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I understand that about the measurements. But it seems that you have made great effort to optimize your system. I'd like to see what that measures like, at the seating location!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have been going through a phase recently where I have been listening to a lot of 80's pop music, god help me. Berlin's Metro was stuck in my head, so to exorcise that demon I gave it a good listen to, but I found a 90's remix that I actually prefer to the original. It has some nice bass drops in it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is another 80's-esque synth tune with some pretty heavy bass: Floydshayvious - G3000. Lots of bass in the 30's. It would fit in well with the Hotline Miami soundtrack. Spectrogram:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd like to have my own thread, not just to share with anyone else who might be interested, but also as a reminder so I don't forget about these tunes.

Here is another one I found with a thick bassline, a really twisted and funny remix of the R Kelly tune Ignition, and probably the only instance where I could ever enjoy an R Kelly tune: The M******* Remix to Ignition Yall. Spectrogram:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a bassline for you: RRegula - Voider. Great to run the bass hot, very fun bass! Bounces wildly from 40 Hz to 100 Hz, especially for the last half of the tune. Blast this one and crank the subs!!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This tune doesn't dig super deep, but it sounds so dank. Fundamental hovers just below 40 Hz. Dyson - Innerverse. Good stuff, reminds me of back years ago when dubstep used to be good.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so what does your sound system consist of, and where are you located?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I listen mostly to my desktop PC system, it's not bad. I have two Hsu ULS-15s, and Hsu HC-1 mk2s for speakers. The HC-1s are not optimal for desktop PC speakers, but I brought them over from another system, and they sound fine, and I don't want to shell out for more speakers. They are a bit laid back which is good for near-field listening. Receiver is an old Pioneer Elite workhorse, made in 2000, it weighs 75 lbs, it is a beast. Here is a picture of it in my cave:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have been having a lot of fun listening to Orb mixes here and there for the last few nights. The Orb is just a lot of laid-back electronic fun. Here is a bass-laden doozy I discovered by them, with a strong fundamental well into the 30 Hz and below.
Angel 4 Matrix

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis