Any way to connect wireless speakers to receiver in addition to existing 5.1 system?

C

calvin2376

Audiophyte
The short story: I have a sound system in my family room, and I’d like to hook up two wireless speakers to it that will be located in the dining room.

Currently in my family room, I have a Denon AVR-S510BT receiver hooked up to a 5.1 surround system. I would like to find some way to have wireless speakers (ideally two) connected to this system but located in the dining room. That way I could have the 5.1 system in the family room playing the same music as the wireless speakers in the dining room.

While I’ve used wireless speakers before and know that they’re out there, I can’t seem to figure out a way to connect wireless speakers to my receiver in addition to the existing 5.1 speakers already connected and located in the family room.

I’d love to know if there’s a solution out there, what it entails, and what I would need to buy (and recommendations on equipment). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

If your receiver doesn’t support bluetooth, you’ll need speakers that have their own transmitter. Typically it will connect to the receiver’s RCA pre-amp outputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

calvin2376

Audiophyte
If your receiver doesn’t support bluetooth, you’ll need speakers that have their own transmitter. Typically it will connect to the receiver’s RCA pre-amp outputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for the response. My receiver does support Bluetooth (at least, it accepts incoming music via Bluetooth). Would you be able to direct me to an example of a set of speakers with their own transmitter?

As for the RCA pre-amp outputs, I'm not exactly sure what these would look like, but I can't seem to find them on my receiver. Would you be able to tell me if my receiver has these outputs? I'd link directly to a picture of the back of the receiver (from Amazon), but the forum won't let me post links.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Come to think of it, most Bluetooth receivers only support receiving Bluetooth, not transmitting. And your receiver doesn’t have any RCA pre-amp outputs. So you’re out of luck – sorry.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Thanks for looking into it. So there's simply no way to accomplish what I want to do?
You’ll have to get a new receiver that has pre-amp outputs.

The Rocketfish unit afterlife linked won’t work unless you’re willing to give up your two L/R main-channel speakers. It would work if your receiver had additional L/R or “Zone 2” speaker connections.

Any way you cut it, you’re out of luck with the equipment you have now.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
That would probably be overkill but wouldn't the OP be able to splice the audio out of the hdmi output and use speakers with a digital input? (Could be out of budget but figured I'd ask)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

Afterlife had right the first time - a couple posts back with the Rocketfish Rear Channel system.

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Universal-Wireless-Speaker-RF-WHTIB-/dp/B000VEP3XO/ref=lp_2530318011_1_1?srs=2530318011&ie=UTF8&qid=1448679450&sr=8-1

This Transmitter has high impedance inputs so connecting the front outputs from his Denon AVR-S510BT receiver in parallel to the existing Speaker connections will have negligible effect. (According to Page 15 of the instruction manual the input spec is Maximum audio input signal: 10 V RMS into 220 ohms)

(I had one of these systems, and eventually gave it to my Mom when she moved into a Condo and had no "nice way" to run wires across her hardwood floors to rear speakers. I original bought it to "beam" sound out to the backyard to some "Rock" speakers. I actually just bought another Rocketfish Rear Channel system this week as a house warming gift for my friends son. It's parked right beside my chair as I type this - still wrapped in it's box, until I give it to him on the weekend. He too just bought a Condo.)

I am a member of another Audio Site where a Gent connected the Rocketfish Rear Channel system as I described above, and it worked perfectly. Of course with only 2 × 25 W (RMS) into 4 ohms you won't rock the world.

My friend is giving his son a new Sony STR-DN1060 receiver along with 3 Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers (a set of SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf speakers and SP-C22 center channel) for Christmas (my recommendation for his starter system) and I think Calvin should seriously consider these. (Check out the reviews - even Gene liked them.)

I have had a set of SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf speakers connected to an other wireless Rocketfish sytem - Rocketboost™ Wireless HD Audio Starter Kit in my Home Office, and they are amazing for the price paid. If Calvin can still find some SP-BS22-LR on sale at Amazon, or Best Buy, he should be very pleased. (They seem to be less available now that Andrew Jones (the designing engineer) left Pioneer and joined ELAC. Maybe Pioneer is going to discontinue them...) There are lots of new ones on eBay starting at about $100 if Calvin wants to go that route.

You may be thinking what my friends son is going to do with only "Fronts" of a Home Theater Setup. My Friend asked me to help him pick out a decent Home Theater starter Receiver (a couple days before Black Friday) for his son's Christmas present, and gave me his Budget. I picked the STR-DN1060 and got it for $200 off on Black Friday => so he had enough for "some" of the speakers too. To make things even sillier, his son emailed me on December 7th to ask me to help him pick out a decent starter Home Theater Setup, and said "I would like a 5.1 system and I really hate wires.". He said his budget was up to $1500 (Canadian). So playing dumb, I went to see his new Condo and scoped it out, and it can't handle anything but wall mounted bookshelf speakers. Hence the SP-BS22-LR dad bought. So the plan is to tell him to go for the Andrew Jones Bookshelf system (less their Sub - the weak point so probably head to either a Polk Audio PSW505 or a SVS PB1000) when I give him the rear speaker kit Saturday night. He is planning to buy his system beginning on Boxing Day as I've told him it's like Black Friday here in Canada.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. But IMHO Calvin's best shot is what I suggested here. ;)

B

BoomDog28

Enthusiast
Similar question (maybe dumb)...is there a brand of speakers that are wireless and can act as surrounds to finish a 5.1 set up?

Receiver will be either sr5010 or 6010.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Similar question (maybe dumb)...is there a brand of speakers that are wireless and can act as surrounds to finish a 5.1 set up?

Receiver will be either sr5010 or 6010.
Not without that device mentioned in posts 6 & 7. With that, you can use pretty much any "wired" speaker. But, be aware that the rear amplifiers in your receiver will be essentially no better than that in the wireless receiver.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

While I suggest the Rocketfish Rear Channel system is a workable solution for those who hate / can't install wires; it is in no way equal or superior to the hard wired solution. The amplifier section in almost all decent receivers is vastly superior. But sometimes folks just have to compromise to achieve their overall goals. :cool:

B

BoomDog28

Enthusiast
Gents,

While I suggest the Rocketfish Rear Channel system is a workable solution for those who hate / can't install wires; it is in no way equal or superior to the hard wired solution. The amplifier section in almost all decent receivers is vastly superior. But sometimes folks just have to compromise to achieve their overall goals. :cool:
Thanks for the information. It does provide a solution for us that can't run the cables. Do surrounds is even need much amplification to begin with? I'm new to A/V systems and surprised there isn't many wireless solutions for high end systems. I would assume each speaker would need built it amplifiers, connected to a power source and some type of WiFi to the receiver..? Do these exists or in the plans?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
do you have any idea how many different speakers are out there? You can't expect a manufacturer to make a wireless speaker version for each and every speaker out there when only a very few would be sold. Besides, you still need a transmitter on the AVR end.

No, surrounds don't usually put as much strain on the amps as the mains do but what Jim said should be taken into consideration. The amps will not be as good as the ones in the amp. If that's what you want, then you'll have to run wires.

This is a make shift solution, but it's really the only one out there for now. Maybe someday there will be but I don't see it in the foreseeable future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis