Bookshelf speakers for PC, overwhelmed with the options

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
I'll be getting a cheap Lepai amp to power a pair of bookshelf speakers for my pc. I've been looking around and I've seen a few speakers that all look the same to me, but I'm not an expert at this. I will be sitting about 2 feet away from the speakers, and I won't be getting a subwoofer so I would like some speakers that have good bass. My budget is below $100. I was looking at the Micca MB42 and Micca MB42X, don't know if the $50 extra on the MB42X is worth it, I've read they have a crossover but I have no idea what that does. Any recommendations on other speakers, providing good bass under $100?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Truly good bass under $100 aint gonna happen.

I highly recommend the Mackie CR-3 at an MSRP right at $100. Or, look on Ebay and get them for ~$85 used. If you get these, then you don't need the Lapai, they already have built in amps.
http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444160181&sr=8-2&keywords=mackie+creative

If you save a few bucks on and don't buy the Lapai, then you may consider bumping up to $150 for the CR-4.

If you already own the Lapai and want to consider a little DIY, then check out this kit
http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706

Or, consider a pair of these
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
Truly good bass under $100 aint gonna happen.

I highly recommend the Mackie CR-3 at an MSRP right at $100. Or, look on Ebay and get them for ~$85 used. If you get these, then you don't need the Lapai, they already have built in amps.
http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444160181&sr=8-2&keywords=mackie+creative

If you save a few bucks on and don't buy the Lapai, then you may consider bumping up to $150 for the CR-4.
I was originally looking at those, thought I would get more performance for my money by getting the separate amp and some other speakers. Would you think those would provide good bass that other bookshelf speakers will not?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was originally looking at those, thought I would get more performance for my money by getting the separate amp and some other speakers. Would you think those would provide good bass that other bookshelf speakers will not?
Like I said, for $100 you are fighting a losing battle for good bass! If good bass is really your top priority, then go with a set of monitors + a subwoofer. That's ~$100 for the monitors + ~$150 for a sub.

That being said, these Mackie CR-3s are surprising for such small speakers. They do a lot of things right and dig fairly deep for a small speaker. Step up to the CR-4 for a little lower extension.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

It’s basic audio physics. Good bass requires moving air, and that means large drivers. You simply can’t get good bass from speakers with tiny 3-4” woofers. The rated extension of these Mackies of 70-80 Hz is most assuredly optimistic. My computer speakers cost three times more and have a larger 5-1/4” woofer, and they barely get down to 90 Hz. So make plans to add at least an 8-inch subwoofer in the future.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
Like I said, for $100 you are fighting a losing battle for good bass! If good bass is really your top priority, then go with a set of monitors + a subwoofer. That's ~$100 for the monitors + ~$150 for a sub.

That being said, these Mackie CR-3s are surprising for such small speakers. They do a lot of things right and dig fairly deep for a small speaker. Step up to the CR-4 for a little lower extension.
I would like to get good bass, but don't really want to spend over $100. What I have right now is some crap Crystal Acoustics 2.1 that cost me like $40, so I'm thinking anything else will be an upgrade.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would look into used stuff on c-list for that budget, if that isnt an option, search around for the stuff that fits your budget them link it to this thread, maybe we can help you narrow it down.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with ImcLoud. I would be looking at used speakers if you're trying to hit that price point. I've bought many speakers in the past for that kind of money and some have been very good.

Those Daytons don't look terrible, although I'm not too knowledgeable on those tweeters they use.

These Yamaha's are slightly over budget, but they would have much more bass, but they are also a fair amount larger.

http://www.parts-express.com/yamaha-ns-6490-8-3-way-acoustic-suspension-bookshelf-speaker-pair--312-606

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
I would look into used stuff on c-list for that budget, if that isnt an option, search around for the stuff that fits your budget them link it to this thread, maybe we can help you narrow it down.
As far as amps go, I'm set on the Lepai which is around $25.

For speakers, this is what I've considered:
Micca MB42
Micca MB42X
Polk Audio T15
Infinity Primus P163BK
Monoprice "Premium" 5.25 inches

Those are the main ones, any other good option I'm missing?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have the Primus 363 towers, the 163 is not a bad option for your price point and decent bass. May like a bit more power than Lepai for deep bass output but probably work fine.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, of those the Infinity without question.

Where are you going to get a PAIR for under $100 though? I'm guessing you're looking at prices for a single speaker, most places are not selling them as a pair.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As far as amps go, I'm set on the Lepai which is around $25.

For speakers, this is what I've considered:
Micca MB42
Micca MB42X
Polk Audio T15
Infinity Primus P163BK
Monoprice "Premium" 5.25 inches

Those are the main ones, any other good option I'm missing?
Out of those I would pick the Infinity, if you really can find them for your price range. Is there any particular reason you are leaving the Dayton out of question?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Lepai is not really helping you here. With only $100 for speakers and wanting bass, I think you should skip the amp and get a 2.1 media speaker system is the best solution.
The THX certified Logitech 2.1 systems I have heard sounded pretty good for their price, and a 7" sub is as good as you can reasonably ask for:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V8AR9CCTBM95JKTQY9Q

If you don't want to go with a 2.1 system, I agree on the Mackies.
It is simply the way of things that pro-audio offers better value. I don't believe you will find as good of a speaker with out the amp.

Of course, finding the right deal on Craigslist will trump all other options.

If you tell us where you are, we can check your Craigslist for deals. Of course it is up to you to check the condition of the speakers.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
The Lepai is not really helping you here. With only $100 for speakers and wanting bass, I think you should skip the amp and get a 2.1 media speaker system is the best solution.
The THX certified Logitech 2.1 systems I have heard sounded pretty good for their price, and a 7" sub is as good as you can reasonably ask for:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B003VAHYTG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V8AR9CCTBM95JKTQY9Q

If you don't want to go with a 2.1 system, I agree on the Mackies.
It is simply the way of things that pro-audio offers better value. I don't believe you will find as good of a speaker with out the amp.

Of course, finding the right deal on Craigslist will trump all other options.

If you tell us where you are, we can check your Craigslist for deals. Of course it is up to you to check the condition of the speakers.
I'm in Raleigh/Durham. I looked, but didn't see anything that I thought would be good. Granted, I don't know a thing about speakers so I should have missed some good deals.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis