Vintage vs new klipsch, which should I choose?

Z

ziofil

Audiophyte
i can put my hands on a pair of vintage klipsch KG 5.2 (96dB sensitivity) for 250$ or a pair of slightly used RF600B (97 dB sensitivity) for 355$.

I have a miniwatt n3 amp (3.5W per channel), could you advise me on which ones to go for? I also have a polk audio DSW pro 500 to handle the lower frequencies.
Thanks!

M

mezball

Audiophyte
If the KG5.2 are in good shape get them. I owned a pair of 5.5's years ago, and they were pretty darn good. Replace the tweeter's with Bob Crites Titanium Diaphragms, if they are still being sold.

I would stay away from the RF600B, from what I read seems they are lacking in the mids. Rumor has it they are just rebadged RF62's version 1, speakers that are sold exclusively for big box giant Future Shop in Canada.

You best bet would be to listen to them both, to decide which sounds good to you.

Last edited:
Z

ziofil

Audiophyte
Darn, I didn't receive any recommendations and I went for the RF600B... I will see if I can sell them and get the KG.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will see if I can sell them and get the KG.
Why, have you listened to them yet? Do you like them?

Speakers are subjective, to be honest I'd be surprised if somehow the mids were better on the KG5.4 considering it's a 2 way speaker that uses a 10" woofer to cover everything but high frequency material. I would imagine the breakup in the midrange would be awful.

Z

ziofil

Audiophyte
You are right, that was a bit rash. I will first check out the KG and then consider changing my RF!
Besides, if the RF are lacking mids, can't I compensate with an equalizer?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You are right, that was a bit rash. I will first check out the KG and then consider changing my RF!
Besides, if the RF are lacking mids, can't I compensate with an equalizer?
There are many fine two way speakers out there. They are designed to not need a midrange. They don't need equalization to compensate for something they don't lack.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis