• MiniRig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JLB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
EdBailey

EdBailey

Audiophyte
Hey since Christmas is coming up i'd thought i'd treat myself to a new speaker. I'm looking for a portable speaker that is loud enough to be the speakers for small parties (around 20 people), has insane sound quality and is useable outside. Most of my music is fairly bassy so it needs to be able to handle it. I'm looking to spend anywhere between £100-£400. Also want it to have a cool, slick design and to last me for many years. The two main speakers i've been looking at atm is the minirig set and most of the JBL speakers look pretty good. Please comment what you think the best portable speaker is atm :) all comments appreciated

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Serious bass from a portable speaker is a bit of a contradiction.

For your needs, I don't think a true portable (battery operated) will put out the sound levels you'd want for a party.

Consider powered stereo speakers:
Have you looked at the AudioEngine A5+?
PreSonus ceres 4.5?

Both of these have subwoofer output and the PreSonus has BlueTooth

If you go this route, the trick is finding a nice padded camera bag or tool tote that you can fit them in for travel.

EdBailey

EdBailey

Audiophyte
Serious bass from a portable speaker is a bit of a contradiction.

For your needs, I don't think a true portable (battery operated) will put out the sound levels you'd want for a party.

Consider powered stereo speakers:
Have you looked at the AudioEngine A5+?
PreSonus ceres 4.5?

Both of these have subwoofer output and the PreSonus has BlueTooth

If you go this route, the trick is finding a nice padded camera bag or tool tote that you can fit them in for travel.
Thanks for the feedback man but i need them to be portable as i will often be using them in fields and beaches. I don't need them to be loud enough to make an entire house to be ear deafening just to give out enough volume to make one room decently loud.
And can i not buy a portable subwoofer aswell as a speaker to make the bass sound good?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the feedback man but i need them to be portable as i will often be using them in fields and beaches.
Are you talking battery powered? That adds a whole new wrinkle to this.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd definitely suggest you find a plug somewhere or you will be running the system out of a van. JTRs are what I'd buy, but that's me.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
If you're just looking for fun party speakers, the UE MegaBoom is fine for that. If you get 2, you can sync them so they play in stereo. Good battery life, and supposed to be weatherproof so they should handle beach usage fine. I use the regular Boom as an outdoor pool speaker and it does a decent job for that, so the larger one should be fine.

That being said, you are dealing with the normal limitations of wireless, portable speakers. For parties where you're just trying to crank some background tunes, they're perfect. If you're planning on doing any serious critical listening, well, they are what they are.

D

Dabs

Enthusiast
The tdk trek 360 has a subwoofer and actually sounds half decent. Battery lasts a legit 6+ hours on a charge.

EdBailey

EdBailey

Audiophyte
I purchased the minirig set and am amazed by the quality and volume. I've compared it to a UE boom and the minirig had better quality charge and bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis