There's a loudspeaker manufacturer here in my home town

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Being omnipolar, I wonder if the ragged frequency response is ragged because of their omnipolar design when using typical anoechic chamber measurements.
I don't think its the omnipolar design so much as the electrostatic drivers that should get the blame. Below 450 Hz, where the three 9" woofers operate in an omnipolar manner, the frequency response doesn't look nearly as bad as it does above the crossover point where the three electrostatic drivers operate. Perhaps the maker should concentrate more on the acoustic function and less on the elaborate, and probably expensive, cast aluminum cabinet.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have heard these speakers at an audio show, they sounded fine to me although I didn't give them a whole lot of time. I think it might not totally correct to judge these speakers based on those measurements. You will hear a lot more reflected sound from these than typical designs. Those measurements are gauging these as a monopole speaker when they are omnipolar.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The measurements are very similar to other electrostatic speakers I've seen reviewed in Stereophile. For some reason, the measurements always look a little chaotic, even though the speakers don't really sound that way. It does look, however, like they didn't do a very good job integrating the woofers with the panels.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have heard these speakers at an audio show, they sounded fine to me although I didn't give them a whole lot of time. I think it might not totally correct to judge these speakers based on those measurements. You will hear a lot more reflected sound from these than typical designs. Those measurements are gauging these as a monopole speaker when they are omnipolar.
Didn't Mirage who produced the omnisat have a ragged response as well? My thinking is the measuring technique used in regular monopole speakers skew results of omnipolar speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis