Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Preamp Previewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Emotiva XPS-1 is a high-quality, in-line phono pre-amp for the bargain price of $149. With high quality, if likely off-the-shelf, components, attention to RIAA equalization, low noise floor, and vanishing distortion, the XPS-1 will be everything you need to integrate your turntable into your system. If you have a record player you can't use because your receiver lacks a phono input, Emotiva is trying to give you a compelling reason not to upgrade. We think they have succeeded.

Read our full article: Emotiva XPS-1 High Performance Phono Preamp Preview

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Yhx Tom... It must be logical why the switches are separate for each channel, cost; it's cheaper
And wow, it looks like a real dual-mono design :p

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I know this review thread is old but has anyone bought one of these? I am currently using my Onkyo's phono input for my turntable and was thinking this might be better than what is in the 809 but I would like to hear some opinions about what I am thinking of doing.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this review thread is old but has anyone bought one of these? I am currently using my Onkyo's phono input for my turntable and was thinking this might be better than what is in the 809 but I would like to hear some opinions about what I am thinking of doing.
Are you unsatisfied with the sound you are hearing?

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Are you unsatisfied with the sound you are hearing?
I think it is a little on the thin sounding side. It lacks bottom end compared to listening to cd's on my Oppo.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it is a little on the thin sounding side. It lacks bottom end compared to listening to cd's on my Oppo.
I maybe wrong but IHO, I would think RIAA curves are standard and are applied equally no matter who manufacturer's the phono pre-amp. The thin bottom end is most likely recording/media related than its phono preamp related.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I maybe wrong but IHO, I would think RIAA curves are standard and are applied equally no matter who manufacturer's the phono pre-amp. The thin bottom end is most likely recording/media related than its phono preamp related.
Yup, or it could also be related to the stylus.

OP, what cart are you running? Does it have a nice sharp tip?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup, or it could also be related to the stylus.

OP, what cart are you running? Does it have a nice sharp tip?
True enough. The cartridge or the stylus (needle) very much come into play and DO make a difference on how it sounds, much more than a competent phono stage.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
True enough. The cartridge or the stylus (needle) very much come into play and DO make a difference on how it sounds, much more than a competent phono stage.
Heck, now that I've been thinking about it......are we 100% sure that the tracking force has been set correctly?

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Thanks for the help guy's. I only have an entry level Audio Technica LP60 TT that you can't adjust as far as I know so maybe I am just asking too much from it. It's just when I play 2 channel music through my Oppo it sounds allot better than the TT so I thought a better pre amp then what is in my Onkyo would help.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just as with speakers and amplifiers, I think it is a good general rule of thumb that electrical alteration is much easier than electro-mechanical conversion. Thus differences between pre-amps are much less likely to be audible, while differences in the stylus/cartridge/tonearm system are likely to impact SQ.

So, don't get a $150 phono pre-amp to fix the SQ of a $100 turntable.

Of course, make sure the little switch on the back of your turntable is switched so the turntable's built-in phono pre-amp is bypassed if you are using your Onkyo's phono pre-amp.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Makes sense. I do have the pre amp in the TT bypassed so I know that isn't the problem. I guess I should start saving for a better turntable.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some links to solid entry level turntables that are solid performers:

http://uturnaudio.com/

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?info=turntables

Here's a site that sells many different make and models of turntables.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables

I want to add that I would stay away from turntables offering USB out. My reason for this is that a given price point, more of the money is put on the table essentials like tonearm, plinth, platter, bearings than having to share those costs with some onboard analog to digital converters.

Last edited:
T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Here are some links to solid entry level turntables that are solid performers:

http://uturnaudio.com/

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?info=turntables

Here's a site that sells many different make and models of turntables.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables

I want to add that I would stay away from turntables offering USB out. My reason for this is that a given price point, more of the money is put on the table essentials like tonearm, plinth, platter, bearings than having to share those costs with some onboard analog to digital converters.
Thanks, I appreciate the links and the help. Uturn audio is right in my back yard...:cool:

Last edited:
T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Just an update. I found a Technics SL-3350 in mint condition on CL and it sounds great. It only has a low end AT cartridge and stylus but I like it much better than the AT LP60. I can update the Cart/stylus in the future so I think it will only get better. :)

H

Henry Hunt

Audiophyte
The reason for separate left and right gain/load settings is to maintain the dual mono topography of the XPS-1.
I've tried dozens of inexpensive (under $500) phono preamps and the xPS-1 is one of the two best under $200 units I've heard, the other being the Hagerman Bugle 2.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis