Bookshelves for my new A-S500. $400.00 (or less) budget. Please share your thoughts

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I need a pair of bookshelf speakers for my new Yamaha A-S500. Budget, $400.00 or less. I'll be adding a sub at some point, but it would be nice (not likely though, from what i've read) to have at least a little bit of low-end in the interim (until I get the Sub). Please only suggest speakers you've personally had, or personally heard. Thank you Audiophiles! Kurt. :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Haven't heard them, but I'm certain you can't go wrong with the ELAC Debut 6". Only problem is you'll have to wait for a couple of months for the release date. Pre-order now for September delivery.

You might also ask @afterlife2 what he thinks of his Hsu HB-1 MK2. @theJman might also chime in on the WaveCrest HVL-1 (which have the benefit of a front port for more flexible placement options).

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Haven't heard them, but I'm certain you can't go wrong with the ELAC Debut 6". Only problem is you'll have to wait for a couple of months for the release date. Pre-order now for September delivery.

You might also ask @afterlife2 what he thinks of his Hsu HB-1 MK2. @theJman might also chime in on the WaveCrest HVL-1 (which have the benefit of a front port for more flexible placement options).
Thanks Rojo, I will message both of them! :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Zieglj,
The Zaph is a nice looking option! Have you heard? What more do you know about them?
I have not listened to them - however, I really want to and he does good work.
He even designed the drivers.

Scroll down the page to where you find the ZA5.3 MTM system - and he gives a lot of
detail and measurements.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Kurt,
I own two pairs of Wharfedale 10.1 in Rosewood and am very pleased with their sound, especially at this price point (~$300/pr). They are also available in Black or Cherry finish at same price.

I do not own these; but if you want a bit more bass consider looking into the 10.2s for ~$325/pr. I am confident they will sound as good as or better than the 10.1s since they have a very similar dual rear-port design; same tweeter, and a larger 6.5" woofer.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Kurt,
I own two pairs of Wharfedale 10.1 in Rosewood and am very pleased with their sound, especially at this price point (~$300/pr). They are also available in Black or Cherry finish at same price.

I do not own these; but if you want a bit more bass consider looking into the 10.2s for ~$325/pr. I am confident they will sound as good as or better than the 10.1s since they have a very similar dual rear-port design; same tweeter, and a larger 6.5" woofer.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
Thanks XEagle, i'll start reading the reviews. I "have" looked at them, and if I remember right, they looked nice! :) The idea i'm getting from my research is that, the looks don't matter as much as the sound and quality of build. When you can't see the innards, it's hard to tell if it's a quality build though... :(

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I "
I have not listened to them - however, I really want to and he does good work.
He even designed the drivers.

Scroll down the page to where you find the ZA5.3 MTM system - and he gives a lot of
detail and measurements.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZA5/
I "do" like the idea of getting my hands involved! My friend and I built a pair of "Overnight Sensations" for him (we did our own cabinet), very gratifying! :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The idea i'm getting from my research is that, the looks don't matter as much as the sound and quality of build. When you can't see the innards, it's hard to tell if it's a quality build though... :(
In the end it is about overall sound quality to me

Wharfedale 10.1 - a look inside

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis