Finally have mind made up but still want some opinions please

R

Rickroll

Audioholic Intern
I am getting ready to make the upgrade for my ht system. Right now I'm still running my pioneer vsx21txh pushing small front take 5 speakers with small center and rear klipsch reference surrounds. I have two eight inch subs that are both 100 watts rms each (maybe). I'm going to the htd level three fronts with a level three center channel. I'm going to leave my rears alone for now. My biggest thing are the subs. They actually sound great for movies but not great for music but they do get down to around 30-35 hz. I'm looking at going with either a svs pb1000 or a rbh i12. I like movies loud but not quite reference levels (extremely loud and wife gets pissed). I'm worried that dropping to one quality, but stronger sub may not fill room like my two do now. What do you guys think? Experience? As noted in previous threads, my room is around maybe 13x13 with 8 foot ceiling and opening to hallway.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

That’s not a very big room, so either of those subs will fill it with no problem. You’ll be amazed what a difference it makes getting down to 25 Hz or lower, you’ll be kicking yourself for not upgrading your subs sooner. It would be a good idea to add parametric equalization to smooth out the peaks and get the maximum performance.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'm looking at going with either a svs pb1000 or a rbh i12. I like movies loud but not quite reference levels (extremely loud and wife gets pissed). I'm worried that dropping to one quality, but stronger sub may not fill room like my two do now. What do you guys think? Experience? As noted in previous threads, my room is around maybe 13x13 with 8 foot ceiling and opening to hallway.
Depending upon how large that opening is to the hallway, you may only be looking at around 1350 ft^3. That's not big at all. I don't know anything about the i12, but for sure the PB1000 will have zero problem with a room that size. Frankly, I don't see the RBH struggling either.

R

Rickroll

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys. I've become addicted and now can find even the smallest of imperfections with sound. With a sub costing $500+ it would be hard at the beginning to get two considering the rest of the setup.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys. I've become addicted and now can find even the smallest of imperfections with sound. With a sub costing $500+ it would be hard at the beginning to get two considering the rest of the setup.
There is nothing wrong, with starting with one sub.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Go ahead and read up on setting up your sub. You will want to do "the sub crawl" if the resulting location is impractical, you will get a sense of what a second sub would add by evaluating the difference between where you end up putting the sub vs the sound from the optimal position. In general (and rough) terms, if the sub can be optimally located, there is little benefit to adding a second.
What brand/model are your 8" subs?
PS One 12" should put out more than 2 ea. 8" subs for any normal subs.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
small front take 5 speakers with small center and rear klipsch reference surrounds.... I have two eight inch subs that are both 100 watts rms each (maybe)... They actually sound great for movies but not great for music but they do get down to around 30-35 hz... I like movies loud but not quite reference levels... I've become addicted and now can find even the smallest of imperfections with sound.
Rickroll, if indeed you can hear, "even the smallest of imperfections with the sound", you can look forward to astounding improvements as you upgrade your system. The good news is that the most dramatic changes will be with your early upgrades in both the sub(s) and speakers. The bad news is that ongoing, more expensive, upgrades will continue to provide improvements, albeit diminishingly dramatic.

In other words, you can spend A LOT of money. For example, you can spend 10x the cost of the entire 5.1 Take-5 system on a single speaker, and still be on the low end of the top tier speakers.

I'm saying all this because of your comment that you can hear, "even the smallest of imperfections with the sound". As you move into higher and higher prices, the "improvements" get smaller and smaller. But in the neighborhood of the Take-5, "improvements" are staggering.

I agree your subs have lots of room for improvement, but if I had $500-1k to spend, I would consider upgrading my Left/Center/Right speakers before my subs. Just my .02. Either way, you're gonna have a lot of fun.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis