Value oriented 10" to 12" Speaker stand?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
These seem to be in rare supply. I saw a pair for $130. Saw a pair of 16" stands for $30.
If you know of one, please let me know!

Repurposing something else to use for the stands may be the best approach. An old milk crate would do the job, but would tank the WAF in a typical living room!
Ideas?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself would get wood blocks of desired size and then get matching color of woodstain to finish them to go with other furniture / speakers. Blocks little bigger than the speaker area would look pretty nice imo. And there is many options on finish as well, you can get rough cut, brushed finish or polished finish on them for example.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Check local Craigslist. I've gotten some between $15-20 in all sizes from 15-28 inches.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That's a great source, although perhaps not for this particular application. I think KEW was looking for something that would work with my el cheapo PE tower mods he's beta testing. These would certainly work, but are probably overkill in both quality and price considering what's going on top of them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That's a great source, although perhaps not for this particular application. I think KEW was looking for something that would work with my el cheapo PE tower mods he's beta testing. These would certainly work, but are probably overkill in both quality and price considering what's going on top of them.
I would just buy a couple of deck blocks and paint them - for those speakers
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-10-in-x-10-in-x-8-in-Concrete-Deck-Block-012023A/205613606

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If this is temporary you can use books/magazines or cardboard storage boxes. The latter might be bought now for use later :).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is what I have in mind. I have to believe World Market, Pier one, Hobby Lobby, Target, Wal-Mart, or someone has something like this in black for less than $20/pr!

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-OFC-03701-Double-Handles-11-Inch/dp/B00MA92TJ4/ref=sr_1_44?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437060308&sr=1-44&keywords=waste+basket+black

The speaker cabinets are 30" H x 7.1" W x 9.5" D. and weighs less than 16lbs., but I would want a wider base for stability and could see running a couple of screws through the stand and into the speaker.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
KEW may in fact just be looking for a personal set of stands, but I'm very interested in finding something that can be bought off the shelf. I'm not sure I'll offer the mini towers unless I can find something cheap. They really need to be up and closer to ear level to sound right. I'll keep hunting. I've pretty much been through all possible makeshift offerings from Ikea.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
KEW may in fact just be looking for a personal set of stands, but I'm very interested in finding something that can be bought off the shelf. I'm not sure I'll offer the mini towers unless I can find something cheap. They really need to be up and closer to ear level to sound right. I'll keep hunting. I've pretty much been through all possible makeshift offerings from Ikea.
Yeah, I can build my own easily enough. But there's got to be a small waste basket or something cheap that you could flip over to make a decent looking stand.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
How about black storage cubes like this or this?

What are the dimensions of the base of the ECT's?

I was also thinking that instead of a stand, maybe we could find a cheap source for 12" coffee table legs. They'd serve a dual purpose of elevating the speakers + partially de-coupling them from the floor.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I was also thinking that instead of a stand, maybe we could find a cheap source for 12" coffee table legs. They'd serve a dual purpose of elevating the speakers + partially de-coupling them from the floor.
That is about as good as anything I've seen.

7.1" W x 9.5" D

Actually, I hadn't considered Dennis providing them. I was thinking in terms of just suggesting you can go to (amazon?, Target?, wherever) and pick up this item to make an inexpensive stand that works well.

I know from personal experience it would be a shame for someone to buy these and not get the height right!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How about black storage cubes like this
That is cool, I like that - whether it is for this or something else.
For other projects, you can even double stack them.

You can even get them through Home Depot.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, I hadn't considered Dennis providing them. I was thinking in terms of just suggesting you can go to (amazon?, Target?, wherever) and pick up this item to make an inexpensive stand that works well.
Dennis, I agree with Kurt. Just make a note on the web page, "Strongly suggest using stands with these like the Sanus BF16B or similar" and problem solved. Push the responsibility onto the end user. Some users may have their front stage on a riser or have a futon as their primary seating and require less elevation than others.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Great find. Amazon comes through again. You could turn them on their sides and it might even look like they were really a matched pair. Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis