Speakers + Subwoofer for 120 square feet room

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am tempted to buy the Tannoy Mercury V1i available to me for rather cheap (99$). I have heard them to be a good neutral bookshelf speaker, albeit a little lacking in bass. So I was contemplating buying a subwoofer to compliment it.

So my room is rather small. About 120 square feet. My audio connection will be my PC, possibly with a DAC or sound card (suggestions?). I will use the 2.1 setup for music, movies and gaming alike. Any recommendations in this price range? :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hi all,

I am tempted to buy the Tannoy Mercury V1i available to me for rather cheap (99$). I have heard them to be a good neutral bookshelf speaker, albeit a little lacking in bass. So I was contemplating buying a subwoofer to compliment it.

So my room is rather small. About 120 square feet. My audio connection will be my PC, possibly with a DAC or sound card (suggestions?). I will use the 2.1 setup for music, movies and gaming alike. Any recommendations in this price range? :)
What price range? Anyhow, here's a starting point: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

Be aware that with a room that size, proper placement may/will be an issue, at least if there's any other furniture in there.

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
I was maybe thinking that 200$ would be my top budget, but closer to 100$ while retaining quality, the merrier. Kinda looking for specific models, as if I'm given an overview of 20-30 models, I don't know how to separate any of them. :p

So are you basically saying that 2.1 might not be the optimal solution for such a small room? The sub will sit under my desk basically.

Also, is there a "sweet spot" for speakers where quality no longer increases linearly with price? Like the graphics card GTX 970 would be the sweet spot in a gaming computer, offering great high-end performance, while still being affordable?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
How far do you expect to sit from the speakers? Are you looking at a near-field situation?

Offhand, I'd be looking at some of the smaller subs on that link in my previous post.

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
How far do you expect to sit from the speakers? Are you looking at a near-field situation?

Offhand, I'd be looking at some of the smaller subs on that link in my previous post.
To be truthful, the depth of my desk will likely not exceed much more than 27-28 inches. I will sit directly in front of it. So I guess you could consider that a near-field situation?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As I see you are planning to use these speakers with computer, do you already have amp to go with the speakers or do you have plans to buy some specific amp to go with those speakers?

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
As I see you are planning to use these speakers with computer, do you already have amp to go with the speakers or do you have plans to buy some specific amp to go with those speakers?
I do not have an amp at the current moment. Do I need one? And if so, how powerful does it need to be? :)

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
So actually, I got a tip about Dynavoice M-65 EX V.4 and Harman Kardon HK 980 for just twice the price of these small speakers. Do you reckon that such a setup, with large floor speakers, could give me better sound quality, or are they not suited for near field listening at all?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Tower speakers in near field listening is not really practical. You may want to go back to square one and rethink this whole thing. Start off by deciding what you want.

I cannot find anything I can read (in English) about these speakers.

For ANY unpowered speaker, you will need an amp with sufficient clean power to drive them to levels you want.

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
Alright. So I suppose what I need for near field listening are small speakers then. What would you personally choose between unpowered and powered speakers, so to speak? Say you were in my shoes. How would you best invest 500$ when you got no equipment besides your computer?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Forget about amps, receivers and passive speakers.
For near field I'd just grab pair of nice pro monitors - 1 day left to get a pair of these for $240
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jbl-lsr305

You won't need amp and they extend to 43hz so for most usage you won't need sub ether.
If you PC analog out is noisy - cheap usb dac should fix that http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436713271&sr=1-1&keywords=FiiO+USB+DAC+and+Headphone+Amplifier

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'd recommend LSR305 over AE's A2.
That's a valid alternative, but it lacks a variable output for a subwoofer, which he initially requested.

If he can forgo a sub, the Emotiva Airmotiv powered monitors would be a better* alternative, like the 4 or 5 specifically fit in the budget. https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-5s

Sterepile loves the 4's: http://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-audio-pro-airmotiv-4s-powered-loudspeaker#fifTqjx7ge4jEGD2.97 Heck, I wouldn't mind a pair myself.

*IMNSHO, of course.

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
So let me tell you the local prices we get here, and see how you value it considering those. Audioengine 5+ (395$) and A2 (305$), JBL LSR305 (380$) and Tannoy Mercury V1i (125$).

Potentially, what would a decent affordable sub complimenting any of these products, be?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In my first post I provided a link to some very decent and affordable subs. Open it, browse, and see what you come up with. The best value would be the "Dayton" brand. You've GOT to do a little thinking on your own. We can't do it all for you.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As for Sub/Pro monitors integration - while YES - it's challenging, not impossible.
This (brand new) sub for example offers balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs.
http://emptek.com/i12.php

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
And, lest we forget, the Tannoy does NOT have internal amps. He'll need an amp or receiver.

But, any sub with level and crossover controls can pretty much blend with pretty much any speaker.

Effortle

Effortle

Enthusiast
In my first post I provided a link to some very decent and affordable subs. Open it, browse, and see what you come up with. The best value would be the "Dayton" brand. You've GOT to do a little thinking on your own. We can't do it all for you.
I'm sorry. I tried looking up some more, and think I have decided that I want active monitors after all like the AudioEngine A5+. Mainly because an amp for the Tannoy would cost too much. Now, as far as I could tell, you still need a DAC for this model (A5+), whereas the A2+ does not. Yet the smaller woofers in the A2+ has made them incorporate some kind of bass layer onto it, so that it doesn't fit as well for acoustic etc.

But with the A5+, is it also possible to add a subwoofer? And what DAC can one recommend for such a model? Last question also, is there a model more expensive than this, which potentially offers more value for the money (simply a KILLER product priced above it)?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis