Andrew Jones and Chris Walker now with ELAC

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If your tascam has rca line out, this cable might do the trick

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I suspect some portable devices' mic response would fall sharply below 100 Hz. The Dayton iMM-6 solves that for about 18 bucks. I think you could afford to leave your Behringer ECM8000 in the closet.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That ELAC B5 looks great. Can't wait to see Z's review.:)
Looks like they are around 4 months from being on the market - so, I will be waiting.
I for sure would like to check them out, and give them a good shake-down.:)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, I suspect some portable devices' mic response would fall sharply below 100 Hz. The Dayton iMM-6 solves that for about 18 bucks. I think you could afford to leave your Behringer ECM8000 in the closet.

The low end shown on my laptop was fine and was extremely similar to what I saw with the ECM8000.

So, I should just let my $200 mic/USB module sit in a closet? That makes perfect sense.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just saw some listening impressions from some members over at PETT for the bookshelves and the reports are very good so far.

Might have to pick up a pair for myself and see. Plus I feel like I need one of those subs, if for no other reason than to play with that app.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
highfigh said:
The low end shown on my laptop was fine and was extremely similar to what I saw with the ECM8000.

So, I should just let my $200 mic/USB module sit in a closet? That makes perfect sense.
If you can achieve the same results by pulling your phone out of your pocket and maybe plugging a little mic into the headphone jack, then yes it does make perfect sense. Besides, how are you planning to run an iOS or Android app on your laptop? Or are you planning to plug your Behringer USB combo into your phone or tablet?

Rather than arguing "what if," I plan to measure a few sweeps, using a UMIK-1 as a reference, comparing the built-in mic in my LG G2 against the iMM-6. It could be that the 20Hz response of my phone's integrated mic would reasonably allow the ELAC subs to calibrate and measure successfully. I'm prepared to eat crow and admit I'm wrong.

I'm not saying my phone's mic is the lowest common denominator among all mics that will used by consumers to measure their subs, only that it's representative.

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I think Dennis Murphy should send Andrew Jones a pair of the (modded BS -22's) Affordable Accuracy speakers.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Comparison of measurements among LG G2 internal mic, Dayton iMM-6, and UMIK-1. The LG did better than I expected. I think it's reasonable to assume the ELAC sub could calibrate it successfully.

(Bottom: LG G2 internal; Middle: iMM-6; Top: UMIK-1)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you can achieve the same results by pulling your phone out of your pocket and maybe plugging a little mic into the headphone jack, then yes it does make perfect sense. Besides, how are you planning to run an iOS or Android app on your laptop? Or are you planning to plug your Behringer USB combo into your phone or tablet?

Rather than arguing "what if," I plan to measure a few sweeps, using a UMIK-1 as a reference, comparing the built-in mic in my LG G2 against the iMM-6. It could be that the 20Hz response of my phone's integrated mic would reasonably allow the ELAC subs to calibrate and measure successfully. I'm prepared to eat crow and admit I'm wrong.

I'm not saying my phone's mic is the lowest common denominator among all mics that will used by consumers to measure their subs, only that it's representative.

No, I was wondering if they might calibrate for the Behringer mic so those who have one don't need to buy another mic. It's not terribly expensive, but nobody likes to buy equipment and have it made obsolete, wasting the money spent. If the phone mics remain consistent enough to use without people eventually experiencing inaccurate compensation because the phone manufacturers found a cheaper part, I'll be surprised.

I'd definitely like to see/hear it in person, though. It makes correct equalization more available to people who wouldn't understand what's happening, how to correct it and why it's important. Personally, I think it's a good thing when people don't have access to the equalizer's controls- we replaced a lot of drivers for people who would use the Happy Face or some other weird scheme to set the sliders on their first equalizer, even after we explained that cutting is often better than boosting the level.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

If I have to guess, mobile device mic might not so much as inaccurate, but as HF mentioned, depends on the model, will likely not to be able to measure low or/and high frequencies.[/QUOTE]
wtf... I didn't posted this, not I have an LG G2 phone or use Forum Fiend,
@rojo !!! wtf?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Seems like the speakers will prove to be really nice, and at what appears to be very competitive prices. Should be a winning combo. The subs without conventional controls might not be the wisest choice though. I can see the app being a great addition to the normal operations, but not in lieu of them. That will probably limit their market somewhat.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
ELAC Debut Loudspeaker Line Preview

Marking their re-entry into the North American market, German loudspeaker maker, ELAC, has just announced a new entry-level speaker line by acclaimed speaker designer Andrew Jones. The price point of these speakers and their potential performance seems pretty amazing. Will these ELAC Debut series speakers finally provide audiophiles and home theater lovers with a true, high-performance entry level series that covers every speaker combination? Read on to find out all the details.

Read the ELAC Speaker Preview

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
D

Deep Ear

Audiophyte
I heard Andrew's new speakers at T.H.E. Show Newport last weekend. Simply spectacular sound and sound per dollar value!

DeepEar
Former Infinity speaker design engineer

O

olc

Enthusiast
I'd love a comparison between the Debut B5s and the Pioneer BS22s. If the newer speakers are better it's a pretty cheap upgrade.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis